Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Large drop in performance

Want to hear something funny? I just started Prepar3D. Frames are 30 fps again, where I have them locked. I didn't do anything default_blink.png I think I'll start looking for the hidden camera now default_biggrin.png​ Seriously. I hope it is still like this when I fire up my sim tomorrow...

Well, A minute ago I started P3D and frames are still good, Ofcourse I'm very happy about that, but I still do not get why my frames did not go above 10-15 fps in previous sessions...

I have 3+1 monitors using nvidia surround... and that taskbar issue is what did me in... initially after the latest drivver install it all looked fine..then the next day I notice my task bar was moving around and not saying put in the middle monitor at the bottom.. so I started messing with the task bar...and I noticed my sim FPS dropped to1.5-4.5 range and it went back and forth..and I finally gave up and went back to my 3 yr old driver with my restore (in safe mode).

Weird indeed how a driver can mess up things. I use only one monitor, so I don't have these issues.

I am very interested in this thread as I too am having this issue, however with P3d v3.0 and having a loss of fps suddenly. Having from 30- 35 fps on the ground, down to 15 - 17 fps a couple weeks ago.

Unable to find a solution to the issue. Very puzzling as everything was working great, then many additional p3d related program and scenery installs as well as some sytem related installs, cheating sort of without checking between installs. So the  last few days I've been contemplating  installing v3.1 or doing a restore going back a few weeks.

I'll try a few of these suggestions and report back if any change.

Cheers

Steve, with me the drop is related to a single session. One moment I start P3D and frames are normal for my system. The next session they are very much below par. It is one or the other. Is this the same for you? Or do you experience fps drops within one session?

@Rimshot

Does it happen after a reboot ?

Just make sure of one detail. When your frames are at 10-12fps, launch CPU-Z and make sure your freq multiplier is actually at the value it should be.

I had a couple of occurence last year, of processor running in degraded mode after much heating due to too demanding OC settings. Multiplier was defaulted to minimal value without my intervention.

Thanks Jerome. I'll keep that in mind! Most of the times as I recall it indeed happened after a reboot. But if the processor would act up isn't it strange that other games do not suffer from a performance loss?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Thanks Jerome. I'll keep that in mind! Most of the times as I recall it indeed happened after a reboot. But if the processor would act up isn't it strange that other games do not suffer from a performance loss?

It's hard to say and pure speculation, but even if P3D is more GPU bound to what FSX used to be, P3D remains probably more CPU bound than any other 3D games out there :)

Well, went to work on my fps loss this evening thanks to this post, got me motivated.

The FTX Central tip I gained a few to the 24 fps range.

Next, processes :smile: .  Although I use Razor Cortex I only utilized the standard default settings. Decided to go a little further and I eliminated about a dozen more. 

Can't believe that with the same scenario it now went to 45 fps.  :dance:

So I'm off to a good start and I'll continue to pick away.

Keep in mind I'm still on v3.0 

Cheers

It would be great for general knowledge to know about the culprit processes !

Today my computer has been on all day. I opened P3D three times. The first two times performance was normal. The third time fps had dropped significantly again. I ran a benchmark right away, but it gave me the same results as when P3D was performing as expected. I also checked temperatures of my CPU/GPU and processor values with CPU-Z. Everything looks ok. I'm pretty sure the problem is not hardware related.

For diner time I shut down my system. I fired it up just now and ran P3D. Frames fps is normal again... I'm going to install the lates nvidia driver now (I'm still on 359.00). Hopefully after that P3D performance will stay as it should.

If you all get bored with this, let me know!  :Tounge:

Cheers, Bert

I have the same problem Bert. From one day to another my performance tanked in P3D 3.1. the curious thing is that I didn't change anything, didn't install anything. The only thing I did was change regions on FTX central, so maybe your theory that ORBX stuff is the culprit has some merit. Now I'm reinstalling 3.1 from scratch, let's see what happens.

Cheers!

Good luck Stefano! Your suffering from the exact same issue as I am. I had it with v3 and unfortunately the problem didn't go away after a fresh install of v3.1

Just now I installed the latest GPU driver. I've ran P3D a couple of times since then. Frames were good all the time. To be continued.

Cheers, Bert

You guys have me gun-shy to install my ORBX stuff ha!  Have a nice clean fresh install of 3.1, haven't loaded any scenery yet, just planes.  Never had this problem before though on v3 or v3.1, with a bunch of ORBX stuff installed.  Weird problem you guys are having.

I have just noticed a similar reduction in performance in P3D v3.1. Panning the view from left to right definitely exhibits a slight "jerky" effect that was not there in P3D v3.0 :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have just noticed a similar reduction in performance in P3D v3.1. Panning the view from left to right definitely exhibits a slight "jerky" effect that was not there in P3D v3.0 :blink:

Very annoying Christopher. If only we didn't have issues! I don't experience a slight jerky effect though. What I experience is a complete loss of performance. A 'normal' session gives me fps as expected with my system; I have frames locked at 30 fps and that's what I get. The next time I start the sim I only get around 10-12 fps, I still haven't figured what causes this.

Cheers, Bert

Have you tried to run the good ole windows task manager (taskmgr.exe) and sort the processes per CPU usage (top first) ?

Could be anything from AV software to File Indexing, from printer scanner service, to Adobe Flash container, any JVM thing...

Waste of CPU causes... lots of them :)

Also make sure you do some windowsupdate. I have seen some very weird behaviour since autumn with pending .NET updates.

Also, as a rule of a thumb, disable pretty much everything in exe.xml and dll.xml for testing purposes.

If running from an SSD, make sure it isn't dying. Can get really slow when reaching EOL. Same idea applies to old HDDs that resets.

Btw, ##### is Razor Cortex ?

Get rid of that too :) Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.

Last night I upgraded my GPU driver to the latest version. After that I loaded P3D a couple of times without any issues. When I loaded it just now frames didn't go above 12 fps again... So the GPU driver is not the cause.

I checked temps and found a value in my CPU data that remains at 100% all the time. When I exit P3D it drops to 90-95% Could this be a clue?

Probleem.jpg

Cheers, Bert

Looks fine to me CPU and process wise.

Can you install nvidia inspector.

Then take two screenshots of nvidia inspector, one when running at 30+FPS, and one when running in the low 14-ish.

Just curious about GPU temps / Load and P-State when the problem occurs.

Looks fine to me CPU and process wise.

Can you install nvidia inspector.

Then take two screenshots of nvidia inspector, one when running at 30+FPS, and one when running in the low 14-ish.

Just curious about GPU temps / Load and P-State when the problem occurs.

Will do Jerome, but I'll use CPUID HWMonitor; this also shows GPU values. Just now I ran P3D and fps was ok again. I took a screenshot. Now I'll have to wait for the time fps drops again  :wink: Then I'll post the screens.

Cheers, Bert

Not sure cpuid hwmonitor displays the p-state. I was curious to know if you are running in the same p-state when having the problem..