Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Large drop in performance

Hi all,

Yesterday morning I did a flight in the A2A Comanche from KKLS in Orbx PNW territory in P3D v3. The flight was buttersmooth, with my sliders all in the high regions and my framerate locked to 30. AA an AS at 2, traffic sliders at 10 for cars and boats. It was all very enjoyable, also thanks to REX Soft Clouds and ASN weather. After the flight my computer stayed on all day. I browsed the internet and later played some Project Cars,  which is very good by the way!

In the evening I decided to check out my newly purchased Friday Harbor scenery, so I fired up Prepar3d and loaded a flight. I was slightly, no let's be honest, very disappointed to find out I only got about 9-12 fps. What the...?? At first I figured the scenery was just to heavy on my system, even though it is new. I shut down the sim and restarted it. Then I loaded a flight at KKLS. And you know what. Also only 12 frames fps.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on here... I did not change anything on my pc. I did not install additional software. All that happened was the Orbx objectflow update. So does anyone here have an idea what can cause this sudden loss in performance? I figured it might have something to do with temperatures, but this morning nothing was changed. Still only around 12 fps...

It happened one time before. Then I was also baffled. Then I decided to do a reinstall of P3D and that helped. My frames were as they should be with my system. With the v3.1 update I'm planning another reinstall, so I suspect the frames to be ok again after that. But still, I'm worried that sudden drop in performance may happen again, as it has already happened twice. So all suggestions are very welcome! I'm running Windows 10 by the way, on an Intel i-4970k, 8 GB ram and a GTX 970 card.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Is it possible Windows was running background tasks, as you say it had been on all day? Too late now to be sure but I'd be interested to check the Task Manager for other processes running if this happens again?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I already tried a reboot last night, without success. Also this morning, after a fresh boot of the system and the sim, the performance is still much below par... .

Cheers, Bert

Hmm, it is strange. I have had this happen a few times and there is usually a reason for it. Has Windows Update run and installed any updates recently? Has your graphics driver been updated?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

It happened something like that in here too. Tried to reinstall. Didn´t work. Will follow your thread for a possible solution.

Windows 10 and prepar3d v3.1. 4790k + 980 Ti.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Hmm, it is strange. I have had this happen a few times and there is usually a reason for it. Has Windows Update run and installed any updates recently? Has your graphics driver been updated?

Between the good performance and the drop in performance I did not receive any Windows updates. I also did not change any drivers. It's weird. Nothing had changed (seemingly) but still P3D suddenly performed awful...

Cheers, Bert

Just discovered something very similar. Fps sitting at 7fps. Check you're CPU levels. Weirdly mine are sitting at 95% idle. P3d is just sitting there not really loading up the CPU at all. Even my gpu' are idling. Very weird.

CPU usage is normal in here (as always very low usage on p3d). GPU i don´t have a way to measure when simulating.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Try disabling your new objectflow from the DLL.xml file.  From what I have read in your post, it is the likely cause. I have experienced some weird behavior with ORBX recenty that manifested itself as a frozen prepar3d.exe, which I had to kill and restart and the everything is then ok again.  Keep your OBBX libraries update around and don't update it if you don't need to. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Which P3Dv3 version?  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Try disabling your new objectflow from the DLL.xml file.  From what I have read in your post, it is the likely cause. I have experienced some weird behavior with ORBX recenty that manifested itself as a frozen prepar3d.exe, which I had to kill and restart and the everything is then ok again.  Keep your OBBX libraries update around and don't update it if you don't need to. 

Thanks Vu, but this cannot be the cause, I'm sure. The previous time the performance drop happened It happened without any Orbx update... And that smooth flight I was talking about in my original post was after the objectflow update...

Cheers, Bert

Congrats Jessica!  :wink: Here's my story since my original post. I went shopping and in the store I figured it might be worth a try to see the performance of P3D with FTX Central set to Default. So when I got home I booted my computer, loaded FTX Central and switched to default. Then I loaded P3D and voila! Frames are back where they belong. Ok. That's interesting. I closed P3D and opened FTX Central again and switched back to North America. Then I loaded a flight at Friday Harbor. Bingo: 30 fps with heavy clouds.

Now the only thing is I don't know what cured the problem. It could be the reboot, although this didn't work yesterday. In that case it might be a switch between Default (or Global if you have that installed) and your region of choice in FTX Central, in which case the problem is seemingly related to Orbx. If the problem occurs again I'll test. And I'll ask at the Orbx forums if this is something anyone else has experienced as well.

Cheers, Bert