Sign in to follow this  
dlipsitz

iFly Technical Support

Each developer's aircraft offers certain advantages above the other's, depending upon what it is you wish to do with it, and just how far you want to take your hobby (especially if interested in building your own cockpit).

In the area of technical support, iFly has that mastered.  The way they did that is by limiting access to the tech support forums to licensed users only, no hackers, pirates, etc to deal with, and zero trolling/spamming.  However, a major problem you will face with iFly occurs with WinX and how it reacts to the Flight1 eCommerce wrapper.  The short of it is, it will not function under WinX (I've tested it several times already, all sims).  The Flight1 wrapper and aircraft installers simply hang in memory (tested for 30 minutes each attempt/simulator).  I ran into the same problem with LVLD, which uses the same eCommerce wrapper.  Also, depending on the livery developer, iFly tends to get slightly better frame rates (especially in poor weather).  iFly also seems to be the preferred model for home cockpit builders.

With the PMDG model, some virtual pilots flying for a virtual airline may notice problems with how the aircraft communicates with the VA's ACARS.  I know with mine using DeltaVA, regardless of how many times I confirm my settings are correct, the ACARS spits back errors about the configuration being incorrect.  Some at the VA say it's a bug, others say it's my configuration (which it isn't).  I've simply determined no one knows what the problem is, and they are simply ignoring it.

Other than that, I have not noticed any problem working with the PMDG NGX aircraft.  A major difference (to me, given I fly at night and often in poor weather), is the availability of the HUD within the B738 and B739 with PMDG, which is not available in iFly (as of ver 3.0, the latest I've been able to look at and test).  iFly only offers a HUD in the BBJ models, which btw PMDG does not have.  PMDG does have specific settings available for ETOPS that iFly does not have, yet iFly does have models that have the fuel capacity for oceanic flights.

Both aircraft are fairly complex, and come with very extensive documentation (in PDF format).  Both appear to be limited only by the imagination of the virtual pilot (save for the things I discovered).  I have not seen the latest versions for P3D, but the word is that both work quite well.

The PMDG aircraft comes with a 14 day guarantee, while the iFly is 30 days (both last I checked), which is more than enough of an evaluation period to determine if the aircraft will install and operate correctly (or to get it working correctly through each aircraft's tech support, forums, and manuals - read these first).

Split this topic from a very old topic.  Best to start a new topic as information, technology, and versions are updated making many of the old topics confusing to some.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The PMDG aircraft comes with a 14 day guarantee

Since when  does  pmdg  aircraft  come  with a 14 day guarantee?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Since when does pmdg aircraft come with a 14 day guarantee?

It never has come with a refund period. I think maybe he was thinking of the amount of time the original download links were good for, which I think used to be 7 days prior to them going to the new system where you can get a download anytime.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It never has come with a refund period. I think maybe he was thinking of the amount of time the original download links were good for, which I think used to be 7 days prior to them going to the new system where you can get a download anytime

Don't  know  but  this  was  the bit   that got me

The PMDG aircraft comes with a 14 day guarantee, while the iFly is 30 days (both last I checked), which is more than enough of an evaluation period to determine if the aircraft will install and operate correctly (or to get it working correctly through each aircraft's tech support, forums, and manuals - read these first).

So by  going  what he  has  written  you got  14  days   to  check if the aircraft will install   and operate  on your  system,   you got  this option  with  the ifly  version of  aircraft  but  not  with  pmdg.  

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

With the PMDG model, some virtual pilots flying for a virtual airline may notice problems with how the aircraft communicates with the VA's ACARS.  I know with mine using DeltaVA, regardless of how many times I confirm my settings are correct, the ACARS spits back errors about the configuration being incorrect.  Some at the VA say it's a bug, others say it's my configuration (which it isn't).  I've simply determined no one knows what the problem is, and they are simply ignoring it.

Send me a link to the thread. I will help you. In most cases when people go away it's because the problem is solved.

The 737NGX and 777X integration with PMDG and FSUIPC works pretty well. It's worked flawlessly for me on all my PMDG models (I cannot test the 777 because I do not own a copy, but pilots assure me it works well). What is a challenge is that PMDG (for unknown reasons) disables SDK integration for these aircraft out of the box. The ACARS installers check that the right INI file options are set, but it doesn't always seem to be enough.

FSUIPC writes a non-zero value to offsets 0x65F5 (737) or 0x6C1D (777) that says what variant of the aircraft one is using. If the value is zero but ACARS detects these aircraft (via the .air file path) then it will complain, and rightfully so.

The only other thing I've found that helps from time to time is an FSUIPC reinstall from Pete's site. Since he upgrades it frequently, that's a good general plan in any case.

As best I can tell, DeltaVA's ACARS is the only digital flight data recorder that interfaces with the PMDG birds (as well as the LDS767 and the PMDG737 for FS9).

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

So by going what he has written you got 14 days to check if the aircraft will install and operate on your system, you got this option with the ifly version of aircraft but not with pmdg.

He's not correct, PMDG has no 14 day trial period or warranty. You buy it, it's yours, no refunds.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

He's not correct, PMDG has no 14 day trial period or warranty. You buy it, it's yours, no refunds.

At last we are on the same  page :)   that was  my point  from the start.

Peter kelberg