Hi folks, I've got 2 old 160gb IDE HDD that I'm thinking of installing into my new rig in addition to an SSD OS/FSX drive. I'm curious as to how I would go about this. I obviously need an IDE to SATA adaptor, could I run both off this adaptor if I use the original ribbon cable? I guess I would also need a SATA/molex adaptor to power the drives.

Thanks for any advice

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You would do better using them as external storage devices, rather than incorporate them in your new system build. The slow IDE data transfer rate will cause a severe bottleneck.

I have a couple of these and they work very well (USB 3 connectivity):-

ICY DOCK

MB881U3-1SA DOCK for 3.5/2.5 SATA/IDE Hard Drives

A Google Search should bring up a product seller where ever you are located.

IDE has slow data transfer rates compared to SATA drives.  I agree with Dogtrack, today they are usable as external storage devices, but not adequate for anything that requires fast data transfers.

I googled and those docks sell for the same price as a new 1TB SATA drive.

Cheers!

Luke

A docking station is not bought for single drive use.  It is purchased for use with many drives of various size & capacities over a lifetime of computer activity.  Thus saving having to keep opening cases and install in order to Read/Write to those drives. 

I collect old hard drives like cats collect fleas.  Ideal for storing collections of Photos, Screenshots, Scenery downloads & Aircraft.  Oh, and collections of old Vinyl & Taped music converted to MP3 going back over 50 years.

A worthwhile investment to forward thinking individuals.

A docking station is not bought for single drive use. It is purchased for use with many drives of various size & capacities over a lifetime of computer activity.

Indeed! However, the OP has two "old" 160gb hard drives. He may decide to consider his current needs and spend the same amount of money on a "brand new" hard drive with more than 300% greater capacity.

If, like you, he decided a dock would be a useful investment for him, then I'm sure he could obtain one some time in the future.

I collect old hard drives like cats collect fleas.

The OP might do that also... on the other hand he may not.

A worthwhile investment to forward thinking individuals.

Or a less than worthwhile investment to those who don't collect hard drives like cats collect flees, and only have a couple of old hard drives hanging around that are probably soon to fail anyway. Seems to make more sense to buy a new drive for the same money as a dock, with a full warranty and loads of capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying the usefulness of such devices. In fact I haver an adapter that does just the same [but cheaper]. I'm just pointing out that for the OP, it might not be the best course of action.

For him to decide!

I wouldn't trust any random old second-hand hard drive with important data. Been there, done that, not doing that again. Plus factor in the convenience of having everything available, all the time, rather than having to hunt down what drive it's own.

To each their own, I guess.

Cheers!

Luke