Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Landing/taxi lights dont illuminate ground at dusk

"You can't expect people are going to go buy something to 'fix' MS's failed/flawed attempt at implementing DX10 for something so basic". 

What do you mean, something so basic?  You lost me there.  Loads of people have bought the DX10 fixer because there are big benefits, better memory management for one.  Since the fixer I have NEVER had an OOM, that alone is worth the money.  Every aspect of the NGX works absolutely perfect in DX10 so I don't believe my issue with the lights has anything to do with it.  In any case I have gone back to DX9 and the same problem exists.  So to show you in more detail I have done the following tests using the 737 NGX and the A2A Comanche in exactly the same conditions.   I have taken 11 screenshots in 10 minute intervals.

12/01/16
EGCC

Stand 208

15:19 officially day

15:29 officially day

15:39 officially day

15:49 officially dusk   

15:59 dusk

16:09 dusk 

16:19 dusk
 16:29 dusk

16:39 dusk

16:49 officially night

1509.jpg

1519.jpg

1529.jpg

1539.jpg

1559.jpg

1559.jpg

1609.jpg

1619.jpg

1629.jpg

1639.jpg

1649.jpg

From 15:39 to 16:19 I can't see hardly any lights and it is almost dark.  Its only during the last 30 mins of dusk before its officially dark where I can make out the landing and taxi lights.

A2A Comanche, exact same conditions.  Look at the difference.

1509.jpg

1519.jpg

1529.jpg

1539.jpg

1549.jpg

1559.jpg

1609.jpg

1619.jpg

1629.jpg

1639.jpg

1649.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

What do you mean, something so basic?

Landing lights are a basic function in the sim. We're not going to model basic elements of the simulator that require additional purchases to get them working properly. Basically, it was a way to deflect someone getting in this thread and trying to use that comment against me by bringing up weather radar (not a basic function of the sim).

Either way. DX10 isn't supported.

Kyle Rodgers

But I've reverted back to DX9 and the same problem occurs so your DX10 argument is void.  I have provided you with the evidence you required and you haven't even acknowledged the screenshots at all.  Quite frankly Kyle I find your attitude to a paying customer quite dismissive to say the least.  Thanks for your help.

I would love to hear from someone running FSX Steam Edition who doesn't have this problem so I can at least get some help around here.

Thomas Derbyshire

But I've reverted back to DX9 and the same problem occurs so your DX10 argument is void.

I was simply responding to your question ("[w]hat do you mean, something so basic?") and following detailed statements / borderline sales pitch about the benefits of DX10 and the related fixer. 

I have provided you with the evidence you required and you haven't even acknowledged the screenshots at all.  Quite frankly Kyle I find your attitude to a paying customer quite dismissive to say the least.

I'm sorry it appears that way. When you answer as many support tickets as we do, where so much of the time it's caused by some other product interfering with things, you do get a bit prejudiced. So, I apologize if I seemed dismissive. I got hung up on the very early posts painting this issue very squarely as our problem, and I need more than "this is happening, it's your problem." When you mentioned the DX10 fixer, which has proven to cause issues with our lighting, I wanted to make sure it was clear that it's not supported - particularly because you seemed surprised by this, and very supportive of that setting/product.

...and I was doubtful for good reason!

After looking at your screenshots for a while, I thought "let me do the same to offer a picture of things working correctly even in Steam, but let me go further by putting them side by side with a vanilla FSX install." I used the same scenario that you did (though it appears you have add-on scenery there, that didn't matter in the end) and found that FSX:SE did, in fact, have a difference in how it showed the aircraft landing lights, but the whole, entire sim's display was different and much darker. Upon finding this, I passed it directly to our modelers who looked into it. Neither one of them was able to reproduce it.

I'd thought that I had a vanilla install of FSX:SE as well, but looking into it, I might not. I have a few ideas of where things got modified, because of a program I'd used on P3D and, perhaps, left the wrong button pressed, running mods on FSX:SE instead on one of the program runs. Given the lack of the issue in FSX, and the similar lack of issue in the FSX:SE pictures from our modelers, I'm pretty certain this is being caused by an external program.

I'll be trying to isolate where these changes are coming from this evening, but I did want to acknowledge your screenshots, and acknowledge that I was able to reproduce what you are seeing in my sim. At the same time, it does not look like the issue is caused by our products and that they're simply affected by another product. When I nail down the setting/program later tonight, I'll let you know. I apologize for appearing dismissive, but I spent two hours chasing down issues I saw here in the forum last night. If we did that for every issue we saw, instead of pushing back a bit, we'd never be able to help as many people as we currently can. If we simply passed all potential errors from the forum on to our modelers to look into, they'd never be able to continue working on new projects, or fix legitimate issues. I may have come across wrong, but I hope you can see a little bit of how it is from our side of the fence.

Kyle Rodgers

I apologise if I came across abrupt, you aren't the first company to jump on the "lets blame it on DX10 bandwagon" which is why I got annoyed especially considering I went back to DX9 and the problem still occurs. I had also just spent an hour taking all the screenshots, uploading them and compiling my post in the easiest way for you to digest so when you dismissed it I kind of flipped. I also work in a customer support environment in my professional life so I understand your frustration. I also recognise how tricky it is fix or even replicate issues within FSX because there are so many variables.

Anyway lets forget that! Reading your last reply it suggests you HAVE replicated my issue but the modellers can't? I shall await your investigation and hopefully a resolution is forthcoming soon.

I am using REX textures as well if that helps, I did mention this in a previous post but it might have got missed. I have applied every single landing light texture with no gain.

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

I apologise if I came across abrupt, you aren't the first company to jump on the "lets blame it on DX10 bandwagon" which is why I got annoyed especially considering I went back to DX9 and the problem still occurs. I had also just spent an hour taking all the screenshots, uploading them and compiling my post in the easiest way for you to digest so when you dismissed it I kind of flipped. I also work in a customer support environment in my professional life so I understand your frustration. I also recognise how tricky it is fix or even replicate issues within FSX because there are so many variables.

I appreciate that. We were actually discussing all of the variables last night due to a different support item I was in the sim for, too. There are so many now...

Anyway lets forget that! Reading your last reply it suggests you HAVE replicated my issue but the modellers can't? I shall await your investigation and hopefully a resolution is forthcoming soon.

I reproduced it, but I think that's only because my FSX:SE install isn't as vanilla as I'd thought. Both of theirs are unaltered, which is why they weren't seeing it. I'm not a fan of unintentionally messing with my FSX:SE install, but it's a somewhat of a lucky mistake, as it can help us all figure out interaction issues to look out for. Once I track down the add-on that got installed into the sim, I'll report back and let you know what changed.

Kyle Rodgers

The plot thickens....today I have flown from Cuba (MUHA) to Miami and the landing lights were visible on the ground before and during dusk??  If I switch the airport to EGCC, same setup as my post above I don't see the lights before and during dusk.

I use UK2000 EGCC but MUHA is stock FSX.  Does this mean it be related the scenery I'm using at different airports, both payware and stock?

EDIT: Ok this is beginning to really irritate me now, I've just switched to Gatwick EGKK which is a stock airport and I don't see the landing lights before or during dusk so there goes my theory above! 

Thomas Derbyshire

EDIT: Ok this is beginning to really irritate me now, I've just switched to Gatwick EGKK which is a stock airport and I don't see the landing lights before or during dusk so there goes my theory above! 

An interesting one to be sure. I have stock EGCC, so it's not as much of an issue with the scenery, I don't think. Still looking at things on my end.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't know if it helps but I was running some tests in ftx Norway region. As you know ENSB airport is now in real world a night environment most of time. I'm using active sky next. Most of the day there is might and the lights on the ground appear only when sim recognizes night within its hard coded hours. I hate it but it was always fsx flaw. I have steam edition with dx10 scenery fixer. Past some point of time the lights are fully visible. So even though there is dusk and you cant see anything broken fsx thinks something different. This sim always had mind of its own.