Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Anti ice usage and N1%

How does one know when to turn on the anti icing on the PMDG 737, since there is no modeling of icing? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hi,

Even if ice accretion is not visually modelled, icing is. 

If you have ASN, you can check it in the debug window.

I personnally turn on the anti-ice whenever I'm in icing conditions.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

About icing in FSX, this could make a good read: http://www.avsim.com/topic/323006-icing-in-fsx/#entry1904219

For personal experience, you can set up and spend some minutes holding in icing overcast(which should be common around this season) with anti-ice off. I read once somewhere that someone lost their 747v1 after 20 minute of holding in LAM stack in overcast with anti-ice off, while flying online.

FSX icing is weak, but it's there - Newest ASN update supposedly made that slightly better too.

About icing in FSX, this could make a good read: http://www.avsim.com/topic/323006-icing-in-fsx/#entry1904219

For personal experience, you can set up and spend some minutes holding in icing overcast(which should be common around this season) with anti-ice off. I read once somewhere that someone lost their 747v1 after 20 minute of holding in LAM stack in overcast with anti-ice off, while flying online.

FSX icing is weak, but it's there - Newest ASN update supposedly made that slightly better too.

I have P3D V3 and ASN, should that work also with P3D?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hi,

Even if ice accretion is not visually modelled, icing is. 

If you have ASN, you can check it in the debug window.

I personnally turn on the anti-ice whenever I'm in icing conditions.

But are there any implications if you do not?  I usually try to use it when necessary, but there have been flights where I've forgotten to but it doesn't seem to effect the plane at all.  Maybe that's just due to the poor icing implementation in FSX/P3D?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The icing simulation is weak, basically just eye candy.  You can choose to run a simulation session with or without it.

I choose to use TAI when TAT is between -10 to +10 C and there is visible moisture, i.e., clouds with or without precipitation. I use TAT instead of SAT to keep it simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

Kevin,

Have a look at the link a poster put just after my previous post.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Icing is simulated in the sim, by the sim, but temperatures and humidity must be injected correctly by the weather engine, whereas visualisations are done by the aircraft.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Bobsk8: I haven't read anything about P3D revamping icing modeling - They probably should, given their intended customer base. Readme text in ice gauge package suggested that FSX weakened icing intentionally, to avoid frustration and bad word of mouth from casual simmers flying into severe icing and going down.

EDIT: Punctuation

Well, I started using anti Ice today. Might as well develop good habits.    :wink:

How does one know when to turn on the anti icing on the PMDG 737, since there is no modeling of icing?

A little more information regarding operation of Anti-Ice. (Company Specific)

After start we select Engine and Wing Anti-Ice on in Icing Conditions. Icing conditions are defined by my operator as "An OAT or TAT below 10C or below and any of the following exist - visible moisture, clouds, fog with visibility less than 1600m, rain, snow, sleet, ice, snow etc".

So it might be 9C outside after start but we still put all anti-icing on. NOTE - We don't use Wing Anti-Ice if we are or will have certain de/anti icing fluids applied

In flight the same applies, if in icing conditions (eg fly through a massive cloud and it's below 10C) the Engine Anti-Ice must be on until the SAT is -40 or less HOWEVER for us this doesn't apply in the descent. Engine Anti-Ice must be on if in Icing Conditions regardless of the outside temperature during descent. The Wing-Anti ice isn't always used in icing conditions. The 738 has a very clean wing and ice doesn't adhere at very cold temperatures. However in moderate icing wing ice can accumulate. I fully appreciate everything can't be modelled in a desktop simulator, when we get icing on the wiper bolts and windscreen that's a sure sign you're likely to get icing on the wing so we pop it on.

A little more information regarding operation of Anti-Ice. (Company Specific)

After start we select Engine and Wing Anti-Ice on in Icing Conditions. Icing conditions are defined by my operator as "An OAT or TAT below 10C or below and any of the following exist - visible moisture, clouds, fog with visibility less than 1600m, rain, snow, sleet, ice, snow etc".

So it might be 9C outside after start but we still put all anti-icing on. NOTE - We don't use Wing Anti-Ice if we are or will have certain de/anti icing fluids applied

In flight the same applies, if in icing conditions (eg fly through a massive cloud and it's below 10C) the Engine Anti-Ice must be on until the SAT is -40 or less HOWEVER for us this doesn't apply in the descent. Engine Anti-Ice must be on if in Icing Conditions regardless of the outside temperature during descent. The Wing-Anti ice isn't always used in icing conditions. The 738 has a very clean wing and ice doesn't adhere at very cold temperatures. However in moderate icing wing ice can accumulate. I fully appreciate everything can't be modelled in a desktop simulator, when we get icing on the wiper bolts and windscreen that's a sure sign you're likely to get icing on the wing so we pop it on.

Great Info, Thanks,,,,,

Engine Anti-Ice must be on if in Icing Conditions regardless of the outside temperature during descent.
Up to +10C TAT, right?

Matt Cee

That's it, we're no longer in icing conditions if the temperature is above +10 TAT no matter what the phase of flight is so we would turn the Engine Anti-Ice off, before the FMC scratchpad reminds us.....

Eg if in the climb/cruise and we're in high altitude cloud and the SAT is say less than -40 the Eng-Anti Ice would be off. As soon as we start our descent we would put the anti-ice on until we left icing conditions. Icing conditions (as defined by the operator) no longer exist above SAT/TAT 10C.