Sign in to follow this  
mkear

Reinstall after Windows upgrade

I've upgraded my windows to Windows 10 Professional,  and now my PMDG NGX is wanting an activation code.  If i dont give it a code it likes,  it tells me that I dont have a valid licence for my NGX.    

This concerns me greatly because I am scrupulous about only using valid software.  

Anyway,  I figured it wanted the licence keys originally given to me when I bought the aircraft.   But it says they're not valid.    What do i do now? 

I have the PMDG NGX 8700 base package,  the PMDG NGX 600 add-on,   the two 777s,  and the 4100 turboprop. 

I havent tried a 777 or a 4100 but I'm assuming that whatever's broken the first validation has also broken the second.  

Any one have any ideas what I do now?

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia. 

I guess the only thing you can do is contact directly PMDG about your activation issue and ask them either for new codes or for more activations (i dunno if it still works like this but the original 747 for fs9 had x ammount of activation then you had to contact them to get some more).

Again your best bet is PMDG since you have legit sw.

Any one have any ideas what I do now?

Anything other than the valid key for the product is, by definition, invalid. It's not going to immediately assume piracy or anything. It's simply telling you what you're attempting to provide it is wrong. Be very careful to use the right key for each product. A lot of the time, people forget the dashes, or use the 600/700 key for the 800/900, or the 300ER key for the 200LR/F (or vice versa). Mostly simple, mindless mistakes.

If you've locked the keys by trying to activate too many times, submit a ticket at the link in my signature.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you Kyle.  I've done that.    Just for anyone else's interest, Dont take it for granted that when Microsoft tells you all your personal and app files are left where they were,  that's true, but notice they dont say the same thing about registry entries.    Any program that relies on registry settings to work or validate or any other purpose will quite possibly be broken by installing Windows 10. 

And then dont expect anyone from Microsoft to help.   So far I've spent FIVE days trying to get my Windows 10 working properly,  and FSX is the LEAST of my problems.    The applications I use in my professional web development life are in a shambles and I can't do any work.  

And I've been passed around from one person to another at Microsoft,  few of whom will actually attempt to help me.    Believe it or not there is NO ONE in Microsoft Australia you can talk to.     You can only talk to people in the Phillippines who sound like they are speaking on a tin can and string from the moon. 

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia 

(Very frustrated and ANGRY at Microsoft - once a great company, now a shambles.)

Thank you Kyle.  I've done that.    Just for anyone else's interest, Dont take it for granted that when Microsoft tells you all your personal and app files are left where they were,  that's true, but notice they dont say the same thing about registry entries.    Any program that relies on registry settings to work or validate or any other purpose will quite possibly be broken by installing Windows 10. 

And then dont expect anyone from Microsoft to help.   So far I've spent FIVE days trying to get my Windows 10 working properly,  and FSX is the LEAST of my problems.    The applications I use in my professional web development life are in a shambles and I can't do any work.  

And I've been passed around from one person to another at Microsoft,  few of whom will actually attempt to help me.    Believe it or not there is NO ONE in Microsoft Australia you can talk to.     You can only talk to people in the Phillippines who sound like they are speaking on a tin can and string from the moon. 

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia 

(Very frustrated and ANGRY at Microsoft - once a great company, now a shambles.)

Another great reason for sticking with Windows 7 which works perfectly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Sounds like the best (only) way to upgrade to Windoz 10 is to obtain media and start clean.  Lot's of work and maybe not worth the effort.  And the sad thing is Microsoft probably doesn't (as Rhett Butler said) give a damn!

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

people in the Phillippines who sound like they are speaking on a tin can and string from the moon.

Welcome to the real world of call-centres farmed out elsewhere. Never mind Microsoft, you ought to try calling them when it's in relation to getting your broadband connection working. Their standards of verbal English------but then English is not their native tongue-----is at best, comical, at worst, diabolical. As soon as I'm put through to one of them, I just kill the call, and when they are asleep, call a UK-based call centre, and get a result.

All said and done, the upgrade from Windows7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, went flawlessly, and I have managed to wrest control from Microsoft's built-in 'call home ET' chicanery of sending back data.

Thank you everyone.  It's nice to have  friendly voice in my torture at last.     Bob, I'd have stayed with Windows 7 but it has to happen at some stage - eventually they're going to remove support for it,   and I had some free time now to do the job so (stupidly and wrongly,  it turns out) I figured now was the time to do it.  

I thought at first that it had upgraded cleanly and just as advertised.   Nice!!!    I spoke too soon.  

Then i went for a fly in my PMDG NGX and found that was broken. (hence this thread)    Then so also was my Garmin 1000 therefore my Flight One Duke was broken.    

Then it was time to do some work and i found that my key application - my IIS Web server was broken.  Without it (or a non-microsoft alternative) I can't work.       I have about 200 applications on my workstation - most of them only used once in a while  and I'm gradually learning that some of them open just fine  but when you come to use some of the features they're broken.   I guess those are features built with licensed libraries or something.    

Anyway,  it took me 5 months to clean the installation of Windows 95 after I was a beta tester for that.    And several months to get Windows 98 working ok,   and the Win2000 server.    My Windows 7 machines were new machines so they just worked ok.      But this upgrade is going the same way as all the previous ones. 

Sigh.

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia. 

Hey gents,

I appreciate the fervor as I too have been frustrated with Microsoft and other developers, but it would be appreciated if the negative commentary about other developers is cut back a bit. Like I said, I get it, but at the same time, we don't want this forum associated with attacks on other developers. I don't think it's gotten to that point yet, but I just wanted to jump in before it gets there, just in case.

In other words, if people were being critical of us (at least for valid reasons), we'd want to see it so we could evaluate their concern. If that criticism was in a forum we don't frequent, it's just a bunch of vitriol without visibility where we could actually react to it, which isn't quite fair.

To be clear - nobody's done anything wrong. I just want to rein the conversation back in before things go too far.

Kyle Rodgers

Well then, maybe this might help solve the clean Windows 10 install problem that some have had. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Unfortunately, most of us are stuck with Windoz because it's the operating system  that most systems use, but I wish Microsoft would get their head out of their glove compartment and take the average user's desires into consideration on occasion.  FSX is a perfect example of a reasonably good system that has been left to dangle in the wind because of the profit motive.  If only there were a reasonable alternative, but then.....

Thank you everyone.  It's nice to have  friendly voice in my torture at last.     Bob, I'd have stayed with Windows 7 but it has to happen at some stage - eventually they're going to remove support for it,   and I had some free time now to do the job so (stupidly and wrongly,  it turns out) I figured now was the time to do it.  

I thought at first that it had upgraded cleanly and just as advertised.   Nice!!!    I spoke too soon.  

Then i went for a fly in my PMDG NGX and found that was broken. (hence this thread)    Then so also was my Garmin 1000 therefore my Flight One Duke was broken.    

Then it was time to do some work and i found that my key application - my IIS Web server was broken.  Without it (or a non-microsoft alternative) I can't work.       I have about 200 applications on my workstation - most of them only used once in a while  and I'm gradually learning that some of them open just fine  but when you come to use some of the features they're broken.   I guess those are features built with licensed libraries or something.    

Anyway,  it took me 5 months to clean the installation of Windows 95 after I was a beta tester for that.    And several months to get Windows 98 working ok,   and the Win2000 server.    My Windows 7 machines were new machines so they just worked ok.      But this upgrade is going the same way as all the previous ones. 

Sigh.

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia. 

The support for Windows 7 will be around for many years, since enterprise customers will demand it. The percentage of people that have moved to Windows 10 is somewhere around 5-10% of all Windows users. http://news.investors.com/technology-click/120115-783137-windows-10-migration-stalls-amid-slow-pc-sales-upgrades.htm

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

FSX is a perfect example of a reasonably good system that has been left to dangle in the wind because of the profit motive.

What other motive is there? You make profit sound distasteful. Why are companies in business? They are not eleemosynary institutes.

Profits do encourage companies to continue in business but there is such a thing as good will that ultimately adds to the bottom line.  Too bad many organizations forget this.  Singer is a prime example.

What other motive is there? You make profit sound distasteful. Why are companies in business? They are not eleemosynary institutes.

No they are not charitable institutes, look up "Marketing 101" and report back.