Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I have been simming for 15 years, and this thread finally helped me get to the point where I can once again enjoy the hobby instead of constantly "tweaking" to fix problems. I was having rally bad stuttering all the sudden, and my clouds had disappeared at the cumulous levels. I put my results and system spec's here, but just wanted to say thank you for all this. I think the most helpful thing for me was the Process Lasso stuff and setting the core usage properly. Suddenly my frame rate is actually up, but more importantly - the stuttering is gone.

P3D AM: 1,3,5,6, Priority: Normal

All other Simulator add ons (AS16, ASCA, EZ-Dok, etc..) are on 2, 4, 6, 7, priority "normal", except EZ-Dok, which I put at "high"

All other windows software, I set the priority to "normal", but didn't change the AM.

P3D v 3.3, Orbx (but not Vector), AS16, PMDG 737NGX, GSX, Rex Textures and Soft Clouds, ASCA, Aivlasoft EFB, Various add-on scenery files.

Intel i7 4790K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance (3000MHZ), Z97 Pro Gamer Mobo, 512 SSD Primary and Secondary Drives

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW

I run 2 monitors, but I only use the second for outside-programs (Process-Lasso, EFB, ACARS (from VA), etc..). The second is 1920x1080, the primary is 2560x1600 (for now..)

Thank you again for all the work put into this!

-Josh

HI

Your results are interesting

I assume you use am 116 as I do

Thou I have

P3d set at 2456

And all addons set to 0137

Can you explain you settings ?

Cheers

Mike

Well. . .

The sad fact is, it's utterly pathetic to still have to obsess over this crap.

Well said. Maybe some day 20 years from now this will all have changed.

We need an Elon Musk or Mark Zuckerberg to put a team together, spend 3 years then reveal 'The Next Flight Sim' that HAS IT ALL.

Yeah, but it would consist of a self-flying drone with no user input at all.

• Upvote 1

I've read through the entire post. Very interesting read. Will all this work for Version 3.4? I've put in the affinity mask and used process lasso and I'm getting very smooth frames but very high vas. I'm roughly starting with 3000 mb

Thanks for all,

Keith

Keith (CanAmRyder) Sacramento, Ca USA

i7 13700k 3.4ghz MSI MPG Z790 Gaming Carbon Wifi Nvidia RTX 4080 FE 16gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB DDR5 5600MHz Windows 11 Pro (23H2) Prepar3D v5.4.9.28482 / v6.1.11 LG 34" Ultrawide Curved / ASUS 32" Curved

On 1/24/2016 at 3:17 PM, Nyxx said:

First, this is what works for me on a 4790k@4.6, GTX 780 with 6GB.

Type of flying, PMDG NG/777, Q400.

Addons always used.

ASN

TrackIR

EZCA

I always fly into and out of pay-ware airports.

ORBX=Global, Vector, OLC. Nothing else.

Lets Start with P3D Settings.

The only thing to note here is I now have water set to OFF(you might like it you might not? try it and see! If your flying over land you don't need anything else really!)

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

Vector uses over 300mb of VAS and for the type of flying I do I only have the below turned ON and it saves VAS and stutters etc.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Now this is how I make P3D 3.1 run as smooth as can be from me.

There is a guy called Steve W ( Steve Waite) and if you want to know about Affinity masks then all you need to know is what he says.

With my CPU and with HT ON I now use AM 116 (AM is the only config tweak I use now)

Open Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Delete Then press Task Manager

TaskManager.jpg

Have a look down the list for P3D, right click and click on "Set Affinity" and you will see this, this shows what cores P3D is going to use.

3.1P3D.jpg

One you have P3D running press Alt+Enter (not full screen) then open Task Manager.

As before scroll down and fine TrackIR, I want this as smooth as possible (30 FPS and no stutters)

As before, find it in the list but select "Set Priority" and set like this.

TrackIR.jpg

Then as above "Set Affinity" like this. Its now only using the cores NOT used by P3D

TrackIRAFF.jpg

Now set ASN and EZDC "Set Affinity" the same way, DONT change "Set Priority" leave as default "Normal"

ASN.jpg

EZCA.jpg

Now you have set everything to use the cores P3D does not use, leaving P3D in peace.

Am not saying this is best and it might not even work for you, but it sure does for me and hopefully the reasons why are easy to see.

Like always it's finding what works for you.

Enjoy!

Hi, Nynx

Thanks ever so much for giving out this detailed information it has helped me so much. I was suffering stutters and low fps on my rig,i7 3770k @4.4ghz, Gtx 980ti 6gb,16gb Ram DDR3, but after applying your tweak I've just managed to complete my first flight without a crash in Fslabs A320 P3dV4.1.

The only issue I came across was sound stutters not sure where it came from but sim wise and performance I had no stutters at all.

I'm also not sure whether to continue using AM=116 or AM=84 with respect to my CPU, I have always had HT=On even without  AM Tweak. 

The only other tweak I added was FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 but none the less I have seen a huge improvement.

Below are screenshots of my sim config:

b19d3dcf0c.png

c9ec277f2b.png

5b3b864c9a.png

88ec2203a8.png

Regards

Ldee

Thank you, but v4 is very different from v3. This is a very old post.

sorry I don’t have the time right now to go into everything.

But don’t use the 3D veg, use Orbx hd tresses and turn off FXAA because that makes everything blurry.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip