Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

First, this is what works for me on a 4790k@4.6, GTX 780 with 6GB.

Type of flying, PMDG NG/777, Q400.

Addons always used.

ASN

TrackIR

EZCA

I always fly into and out of pay-ware airports.

ORBX=Global, Vector, OLC. Nothing else.

Lets Start with P3D Settings.

The only thing to note here is I now have water set to OFF(you might like it you might not? try it and see! If your flying over land you don't need anything else really!)

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

Vector uses over 300mb of VAS and for the type of flying I do I only have the below turned ON and it saves VAS and stutters etc.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Now this is how I make P3D 3.1 run as smooth as can be from me.

There is a guy called Steve W ( Steve Waite) and if you want to know about Affinity masks then all you need to know is what he says.

With my CPU and with HT ON I now use AM 116 (AM is the only config tweak I use now)

Open Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Delete Then press Task Manager

TaskManager.jpg

Have a look down the list for P3D, right click and click on "Set Affinity" and you will see this, this shows what cores P3D is going to use.

3.1P3D.jpg

One you have P3D running press Alt+Enter (not full screen) then open Task Manager.

As before scroll down and fine TrackIR, I want this as smooth as possible (30 FPS and no stutters)

As before, find it in the list but select "Set Priority" and set like this.

TrackIR.jpg

Then as above "Set Affinity" like this. Its now only using the cores NOT used by P3D

TrackIRAFF.jpg

Now set ASN and EZDC "Set Affinity" the same way, DONT change "Set Priority" leave as default "Normal"

ASN.jpg

EZCA.jpg

Now you have set everything to use the cores P3D does not use, leaving P3D in peace.

Am not saying this is best and it might not even work for you, but it sure does for me and hopefully the reasons why are easy to see.

Like always it's finding what works for you.

Enjoy!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just so I have this correct, do you go into the task manager before each session and set those processes' affinity?

Hi David.

have you tried this setup with HT off? There is a problem with VAS as i recall it with it on.

Michael Moe

Just so I have this correct, do you go into the task manager before each session and set those processes' affinity?

Yes that's right

Hi David.

have you tried this setup with HT off? There is a problem with VAS as i recall it with it on.

Michael Moe

Yes and I prefer HT on Michael. I have No problems with VAS even flying into EGLL (aerosofts) from e.g Copenhagen. 

Thanks for the post, these kinds of posts are very informative. I run with HT off, but I totally forgot about setting the priority to 'High' before flying. I think that there is a .bat file we can create to have P3D start in a higher priority than normal. I just can't remember how to do it. Did it for FSX and it worked very well.

I'm running the same CPU, but have better results with HT off. I tried AM=116/85/84, but none seemed to do it for me like HT off with no AM. 

I did not say set P3D to High. Its default. Only TrackIR.

Also this is not relying on just a AM tweak. It's about kicking everything of the cores used my P3D and the AM.

Heya David, 

Interesting.

Just an FYI:

• You can also invoke Task Manager by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  • If you use Process Lasso it will *permanently* assign core affinity for any process.

Lots of ways to get creative around here!

Heya David, 

Interesting.

Just an FYI:

• You can also invoke Task Manager by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  • If you use Process Lasso it will *permanently* assign core affinity for any process.

Lots of ways to get creative around here!

I second on Process Lasso, using it since many years.

Interesting post David, I will look at giving it a try when I have a chance.  Thanks for sharing the information.

I did not say set P3D to High. Its default. Only TrackIR.

Another way is right click on trackir desktop icon => properties => shortcut and add this line in target : C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high TrackIR5.exe.

TIR will start on high priority everytime.

• Upvote 2

If I use Process Lasso do I still have to set AM in P3D config?

"If I use Process Lasso do I still have to set AM in P3D config?"

Negative

And yet

Another way is

to use SimStarter.

This is a fantastic piece of sofwares and I believe a new version soon will also set the affinity mask of each program it starts in conjunction with the sim.

Nice post, David! I have the exact same CPU and GPU as you have: now I don't have a single clue why Steve advices those specific affinity settings but I will certainly give it a try, priority and all! Since a few weeks I have pretty good performance already thanks to lowering a few settings but who knows, maybe this makes it even better. Sometimes TrackIR stutters a little and maybe this will help. Thanks again for such a detailed post.

P.S. I also have water effects to off and I love it. It looks more realistic in my eyes than any other water setting.

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

link to Steve regards AM116   http://www.avsim.com/topic/477057-a-frame-time-analysis-of-p3d-v3-effects-of-cpu-affinity-frame-lock-and-ht/?p=3361440

With this set up all the little stutters with TrackIR are gone, I hope it works for you Jeroen as good as it does for me.

I agree with water, I love the way it looks with just clouds and terrain reflections on. I Even turn them two options off when doing a flight when I know I will not see the sea.

Very good Thread David   :smile:  

David

What about traffic? I have ut2, would you also set it at specific cores will it help?

Thanks

Mike

I've just migrated to P3Dv3 from 2.5 and am utterly disappointed with performance.

Tried every config and tweak possible and still getting worse fps compared to 2.5 with the same settings and affinity mask. More importantly much less smooth.

Not to mention occasional texture glitches and jetways (default airport ones) that go retarded once in a while.

I just came across your thread and noticed that my settings are almost identical or lower compared to yours except for traffic. I notice you have virtually no traffic. Does it make a big difference in P3Dv3?

AM of 244 was working fine in P3D 2.5 not so much now. Might give 116 a try.

Also does the dynamic reflections affect performance a lot? Its a new thing with 3.1 I think.

Regards

Shanan

i7 4770k at 4.2GHZ and 970 GTX 4GB

Also does the dynamic reflections affect performance a lot? Its a new thing with 3.1 I think.

Yes, it's new with 3.1 and yes it can affect performance a lot. In other topics here people are warned to go easy with that setting. Dynamic reflections forces the system to do yet another render of the entire world around you in a rather complicated way and that can kill performance. I myself have that option turned off because I never ever leave the cockpit so I have no real use for them.

link to Steve regards AM116   http://www.avsim.com...d-ht/?p=3361440

With this set up all the little stutters with TrackIR are gone, I hope it works for you Jeroen as good as it does for me.

Thanks for the link! I will hopefully be able to give it all a try later this week (I am a bit busy with other things, unfortunately).

About Traffic,

I use MT6 and 5% gives loads of AI. 30% is like 100%, I used to use 10% but 5% looks about the same. (@20% I was always doing go arounds)

@Mike

I've forgot to see if I can change the cores it uses, will have a look.

@Shanan

I have Dynamic reflections OFF, I don't need it from the VC. 

@Elaine

Thanks.

I've just migrated to P3Dv3 from 2.5 and am utterly disappointed with performance.

Tried every config and tweak possible and still getting worse fps compared to 2.5 with the same settings and affinity mask. More importantly much less smooth.

Not to mention occasional texture glitches and jetways (default airport ones) that go retarded once in a while.

I just came across your thread and noticed that my settings are almost identical or lower compared to yours except for traffic. I notice you have virtually no traffic. Does it make a big difference in P3Dv3?

AM of 244 was working fine in P3D 2.5 not so much now. Might give 116 a try.

Regards

Shanan

i7 4770k at 4.2GHZ and 970 GTX 4GB

I have a simular setup running at 4.7ghz without hyperthreading. I upgraded lately to 2400mhz DDR3 ram and it gave me a boost of 6-8fps and the sim has never been this smooth.

I can live with minimums at 25-30fps in the hardest regions.

I do have higher settings than David but it fits nicely.

There is only one region where i for now is not using complex PMDGS and that is at FTX SCA but this can overcomed with GA.

Having 51fps at gate A20 at FT EKCH in the NGX cold and dark even with low dynamic reflections and there latest updatw with traffic is actually quite satisfactoring.

So something must be wrong on your installation.

REX

ASN

OPENLCEU

UTX 2.1

FTX GLOBAL

MT6 AT 5%

HD2048

1920X1200

I7-4770K@4.7

GTX970SC (sometimes in SLI only GA and terrain shadows and building shadows at big places like RPLL)

16GB 2400 DDR3

Thanks Michael Moe

@J Van E

Ahh I see. I have it on low. Not sure if its affecting performance.

@David

It doesn't affect anything from the VC you mean? I've noticed slower texture loading when switching to outside views and occasional glitching in textures (especially airport textures).

Oh and AM 116 seems to work quite well with my system thanks for the suggestion.

@Michael

Yes I'm beginning to think so too. It's slightly better with the PMDG 737 and 777 but horrible with the Airbus. Also I've noticed a weird cursor bug, it artifacts and duplicates a mini cursor beside itself whenever I hover over any clickable instruments or the MCDU/FMC buttons. This happens with all the planes. I'm not sure if this is causing the drop in fps. And the texture glitches outside the aircraft (airports/buildings/taxiways/runways).

I tried running with HT off but saw no noticeable difference other than slower loading,  and turned it back on. It's extremely warm in my country so I cannot go above 4.2ghz without increasing the temperatures significantly.

Considering an upgrade to the i7 6700k, will see how it goes.

All that being said, the low fps and stutters might just be the shader cache slowly building itself up. My P3Dv2.5 wasn't amazing out of the box either.