Sign in to follow this  
KenG

Is it just me? Pro Line v1.2 sorrows.

Is it just me or is the FGS and FMS3000 getting worse with each update?

DIR (Direct To) is now manual leg change. 

I understand this is Carenado's interpretation of a Pro Line 21, but come on...

I quit flying a while ago... even with Bert's mod.  The way the AP works is just wrong.  I'm not even going to mention the PL21.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think this is due to Carenado basically trying to adapt the built in FSX/P3D autopilot to work like a Pro Line 21 FGS using mostly .xml (one of the software guys may be able to confirm this.) They may be reaching too far using the tools they have and the only way to do a Pro Line 21 right is outside the simulator environment. 

Expecting high fidelity avionics form Carenado is a pipe dream. But, it would be nice if they didn't go backwards with patches.  :Cuppa:

It would also be nice if they would tell us what 1.2 fixed as opposed to keeping it a secret. 

As one who has developed a Proline 21 avionics package, I don't think XML is up to the task in the grand scheme of it all. The FMS alone would be nigh impossible with all of it's intricacies. The default sim autopilot is a seriously flawed beast. Even using it's built-in variables such as altitude, heading, etc... causes problems. That's why custom autopilots rarely support default sim key assignments for the autopilot.

While Carenado may never make high end avionics... their modeling is really good. I only wish they made third party avionics integration possible.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It would also be nice if they would tell us what 1.2 fixed as opposed to keeping it a secret.

I've asked and the reply is: "Just minor bugs (textures and effects)."

I didn't even see an announcement for v1.2 but I didn't see a problem with any textures or effects. This autopilot doesn't do the same thing twice from what I've seen. I can't see the point in even downloading v1.2. Last night I loaded an approach with a DME arc (ILS03, KABQ, NODME transition) and was surprised to see the AP actually flew the arc, I made it through the effed up "intercept" phase but unfortunately the flight was ruined when it came time to switch to ILS and I couldn't get the APP button to engage. I've done it 20 times but it wasn't happening this time. No danger of becoming a "child of the magenta" here, nothing like a hit & miss AP to keep you on your toes! I Ctrl+C'd out of the flight muttering a few obscenities on the way out. Later I ended up doing a couple flights in the CS 727, lol.

Well at least some of you have a good attitude about it...  Maybe I'll try another flight tonite for the ZNY/ZBW vatsim event.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well think of it this way. King Schools sells a King Air Pro Line 21 trainer certified by Roeckwell-Collins for $750 and it is not a 'simulator.' 

So for $40 I get a fairly good flying C90 with beautiful textures and a very, very basic Pro Line 'ish' avionics. 

I initially balked on buying H25 because I knew Carenado was incapable of pulling off a high fidelity Pro Line 21, so I went into this purchase eyes wide open. Once again they confirmed my opinion that you do not buy Carenado products for their systems simulation. They are pretty to look at, sound great, and a joy to hand fly and that is it. 

I'll admit... I purchased it for the modeling. I just wanted a great looking C90 GTX to use for when I'm working on my Proline 21 code for trainers.

Selfish me... LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69