Sign in to follow this  
bobterri

NewComputer +FSX-SE + Windows10 + stutters

I would read what Steve has to say carefully as he knows his stuff - He just helped Me out with a few AM questions and all worked out well

Rich Sennett

The catch ups are the physics simulation being out of sync. That's what I was referring to

Yes I read that, they are referring to the time the sim calculates the Next Frame for.

Since when the fps is set with the fixed setting, it produces a committed look ahead buffer. For each frame is calculated to be in a certain place 1/30 second later.

When unlimited setting is used, each frame is calculated based on the time of the last frame or few frames, and this alters in the wrong direction with the "bug". Actually, it's because it falls in the range that it is uncertain which way to go, and that there's so little time between frames above 30fps it's hardly noticed anyway, if at all.

What I was talking about is the catch ups I am referring to are simply the vsync timing being slightly off between GPU and Monitor. Each frame being precisely computed for 1/30 second time.

Mention of the physics computation is interesting. I found the use of fuel and the flight time was not so accurately simulated when unlimited is used. Making the fixed setting more of a "Simulation Mode" than game mode.

You see there's a difference, we have the position of the terrain, and aircraft, worked out ahead of time, where it should appear in the next frame, and we have the situation where a next visual frame is not ready and the monitor vsync waits.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm still leaning towards his use of 85hz on a CRT monitor as a possible source of the stutters. Guess we have to wait for him to test at a lower refresh rate and see the impact. Forgot to ask what kind of adapter he's using  or if card has a VGA port.. some DVI adapters can cause issues too.

With 85Hz monitor use 1/3 vsync in NI, and 29fps lock on the slider.

I have used the settings of 20, 30, 40 and 42 with the 1/2 vsync in NI.  The stutters remain the same.  No better, no worse.  The only improvement I had was when I used the 4xS antialiasing setting in NI.  One other thing, I cannot fly in full screen mode because I fly on Vatsim and need to keep Vpilot in view.  

I use a VGA adapter to connect to the DVI-I port on my graphic card.

On my old computer I used 1/2 refresh rate in NI and set my frame rates at 42 in FSX.  All was good.

I've tried two Nvidia drivers.  No change.

With 85Hz monitor use 1/3 vsync in NI, and 29fps lock on the slider.

I'll try this next, but it will be tomorrow before I can try it.  

Also, I tried:

[bufferpools]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=2000

And

[bufferpools]

UsePools=1
Poolsize=1500

Neither helped.

And by the way, thanks for all your help folks.  It means a lot.  I'm extremely frustrated and your support is much appreciated.

Bob Bressert

OK. If we are using a 60Hz monitor and 1/2 refresh = 30. So we would think that was the same as using a 85Hz monitor 1/2 refresh = 42.5, or with 1/3 refresh = 28.333. So it might seem 1/3 VSync and 29fps may not make any difference, since very often stutter can be caused by something else going on.

Seems like you are using DX9. I would turn off AA altogether, test 29lock and 1/3 vsync, see how it performs with more GPU overhead.

Also, I tried: bufferpools

I recommend leaving at 2000 with FSX boxed, don't worry it's hard to spot the differences. It depends on what's happening in the sim, what's coming up.

Just having another read through...

"I cannot fly in full screen mode because I fly on Vatsim and need to keep Vpilot in view."

In windowed mode 1/2 or 1/3 vsync does not work.

"On my old computer I used 1/2 refresh rate in NI and set my frame rates at 42 in FSX. All was good."

If that was in windowed mode, then that too made no difference what vsync setting you used.

Maybe you are looking at another problem entirely causing your issue.

Another thing to try. You might have, for argument's sake, an aggressive addon, something that may use up a lot of CPU time. That could be interfering with the main sim job if it's running on the same core. On your four core, we can move the sim up onto the last three cores leaving the first core free. Apps will find that free core and run there. But when all cores are used by the sim, the jobscheduler can only put the apps on cores where the sim is running. Although the jobscheduler is pretty good at utilising lesser used LPs. If the sim is up and running, that would mean the jobscheduler would look elsewhere for a least used LP.

With HT enabled, set in the .cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=116

If that gets it going you would need to have a check to see your addons are working OK.

Well, the windowed mode is a revelation; I missed that.  It would certainly cause the stuttering, and my pet hate, screen tearing.

I suppose if bobterri needs the windowed mode, there is not much that can be done to eradicate it completely.

@SteveW:  After spending months tweaking FSX every night, this thread is the most interesting thing I have read in a long while.  Now I finally have my FSX:SE running smooth and stable in DX10 mode, I will drop the frame rate back down to 30 tonight in case I am just seeing a placebo effect.  My perception was that I had more dips in frame rate down to 29 here and there at 30, causing the odd stutter.  It would be great if I could set a  fixed scenario and record a graph like you did.  Can you recommend any software for that?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Hello Bobterri,

You won't like my suggestion : switch back to W7.

Wait till you won't see any troubles on this forum.

I had the same problem; now everything is OK.

Cheers,

Ben

I'll try removing Windows Defender and install AVIRA.

Best move I made. And in a recent US-conducted AV tests, Avira featured top of the freeware pile. And I have no stutters in FSX-SE on Windows 10 Pro.

@SteveW:  After spending months tweaking FSX every night, this thread is the most interesting thing I have read in a long while.  Now I finally have my FSX:SE running smooth and stable in DX10 mode, I will drop the frame rate back down to 30 tonight in case I am just seeing a placebo effect.  My perception was that I had more dips in frame rate down to 29 here and there at 30, causing the odd stutter.  It would be great if I could set a  fixed scenario and record a graph like you did.  Can you recommend any software for that?

FSUIPC can record a csv of fps with a script I believe. I used IF10 >augmented with FSX-SE and IF10 Pro with P3D which records the rate of change of fps as well as fps.

• Upvote 1

Switching back to Windows 7 is tempting, but with Dovetail announcing something new for Windows 10 I will probably just stick it out.  

I ran almost the identical set up on my old computer with Windows 7 including running FSX-SE in windows mode. and things ran very well for years.  No stutters and minimal screen tears.  Incidentally, I am not getting any screen tearing now, just stutters.

I might try the AVIRA option for antivirus, even though I ran Windows Defender (or Security Essentials, whatever it was called) on Windows 7 and it never caused a problem.

Tonight I will try:

With HT enabled, set in the .cfg:
[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=116

Oh, and by the way, I checked in Task manager while flying last night and my CPU was cranking at 28 - 34% throughout the flight.  If I understand those numbers correctly, I would interpret the stuttering is NOT because of a performance issue.

One more thing.  I did try flying a test flight in full-screen mode and it still stuttered.  

Bob Bressert

Is the 30 vs 31 FPS bit still relevant when running FSX(SE) in windowed mode?

Yes because in Windows10 vsync is always on for the desktop.

Yes because in Windows10 vsync is always on for the desktop.

You lost me here!  You mean vsync in NI works even though you're in Windows mode in FSX in Windows 10?  I'm confused.

Bob Bressert