Sign in to follow this  
Silverbird

NVIDIA's GTX 1080 GPU is twice as fast the Titan X $599 May 27

With all the hype around these cards and the 980ti cards starting to fall I couldn't resist purchasing an Asus Strix 980Ti for £370 brand new.

A much better card than my current 670 and probably half the price of the assumed price of the 1080 that we in the UK get ripped off for.

When the Ti version comes out of Pascal I can put my 980Ti into my gaming rig so its a good longterm investment.

Saved £200 compared to buying it earlier this year.

Worth bearing the 980's in mind too if you're coming from 600 series or less.

Cant imagine many would be simmers. My gtx 780 hardly even gets warm..

I can...

there's now, old tech...and new tech...with a door called Pascal,  you walk through in demarcation.

With all the hype around these cards and the 980ti cards starting to fall I couldn't resist purchasing an Asus Strix 980Ti for £370 brand new.

A much better card than my current 670 and probably half the price of the assumed price of the 1080 that we in the UK get ripped off for.

When the Ti version comes out of Pascal I can put my 980Ti into my gaming rig so its a good longterm investment.

Where did you purchase at this price??  Saw your post and googled around, could not find it anywhere near that price  :(

Regards.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

Paladin,

I purchased on Ebay on a reverse buy it now auction. It started at a fixed price and reduced by £10 every hour until it sold. There were quite a few from the same seller.

I've looked now and he's not selling anymore so I assume they're all gone.

I recommend keeping an eye on Ebay. There have been quite a few selling around £400 brand new from genuine sellers. The same card is £530 + in computer stores.

^^^^  Legion Dev.  Thanks kindly for the info, I will watch for same, as a 72 year old I need to save wherever possible.  Regards.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

That's a pretty good deal. The 1070 might sell at a similar price point, but I somehow doubt it will perform better than a 980 Ti in spite of what Nvidia are saying. It will draw less power, though.

Personally I'm holding on to my trusty GTX 970 for now. I'm not really planning on playing anything this year that would require more GPU power. Only looking forward to No Man's Sky, but since it's a Playstation 4 port, it should work fine with the 970. P3D is not GPU bound with the card, and I doubt the DTG sims will be able to take advantage of faster GPUs either.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

P3D is not GPU bound with the card

Sure it is, even more so as resolution increases ... turn up DR and shadows and reflections and water, that'll warm up any GPU ... now push them through some dense clouds and you should be close to 99% GPU usage.  The 1080 GTX are capable of 8K res ... 8K monitors are however still pretty rare and pricey.

Anyway, hopefully I have a couple coming soon and will test against my 970 and my two Titan X's and report back on any differences (or not).

Cheers, Rob.

I just bought a 980Ti for £370.  I recently upgraded to W10 and P3D V3.3.  I looks good, but with my current 970 card I'm getting long pauses and blurred textures.    Checking the performance of the 970 during flight, the card is maxed out most of the time, so it seems to be bottle-necking my setup.  

Hoping the 980Ti with its added cores and extra memory will provide some welcome relief.

Have been waiting for my preordered 1080 AIB since 27Th May :( Not available until early July or something. Anyone managed to get an AIB ? Anyone tried a FE yet with P3D ?

Sure it is, even more so as resolution increases ... turn up DR and shadows and reflections and water, that'll warm up any GPU ... now push them through some dense clouds and you should be close to 99% GPU usage.  The 1080 GTX are capable of 8K res ... 8K monitors are however still pretty rare and pricey.

Anyway, hopefully I have a couple coming soon and will test against my 970 and my two Titan X's and report back on any differences (or not).

Cheers, Rob.

If you have the chance, test a single 1080. I'd like to know how much better it is than a 980Ti (if, at all) and if i made the right choice of purchasing a second hand one.

Thanks!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11