Sign in to follow this  
akmatov

Does FSXSE realistic with wind?

Returning to FS and this reading up more on real flying to better understand what is being simulated.  Last night was reading about effects of wind on take off and landing.  Got me wondering if this is simulated in FSXSE?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You need to set General Realism (topmost slider) to Max. to get ground winds in FSX. Then it is simulated quite well.

Provided there's wind at ground level, of course....

If you are using default FSX weather, then choose "real world weather" download including winds aloft, and search in "skyvector.com" for METAR reporting stations with significant winds... Go there in FSX and you will certainly find the effect :-)

• Upvote 1

Sadly winds aloft in FSX does not work properly. One second you'rer battling a 100 knot headwind at 30-odd thousand feet, the next second it's a 100 knot tailwind! No progression. No gradual change of wind direction, just BAM! I've had a couple of airliners crash from instant overspeeding!

I turn winds aloft off.

Or, use a good weather injector - I suggest ASN...

• Upvote 1

Sadly winds aloft in FSX does not work properly. One second you'rer battling a 100 knot headwind at 30-odd thousand feet, the next second it's a 100 knot tailwind! No progression. No gradual change of wind direction, just BAM! I've had a couple of airliners crash from instant overspeeding!

I turn winds aloft off.

You are talking about boundaries where wind sheer can happen.  Try flying a real aircraft, coming in for a landing and experience wind sheer.  Pray you live while your aircraft plummets to the earth.

You often find fast shifts in air movement, especially over high mountain regions or sometimes simply CAT.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dan :cool:  I never thought the air would shift as instantly in real life as it does in FSX. I would love to fly a real aircraft, but NOT experience windshear, unless there's enough altitude AND stupid amounts of power to accelerate quickly enough to regain lift. 

I mean windshear and CAT are updraught/downdraughts aren't they, not instant 180 degree changes in headings?

I'd heard it happened (in FSX!) due to conflicting neighbouring METARs.

HighBypass,

I am very sorry that I missed your message.

Wind shear can come from any direction, not just vertical.  And CAT is not always verticle.

FSX updates live weather every 15 minutes I believe.  Anything within a map zone should be covered.  It is possible that moving to a different map zone could cause problems.  The latter is a code issue and I do not expect that to change, Microsoft fired the employees and shut down ACES Game Studio many years ago.

True Dan!

In my FSX world I use the freeware FSOpen Clouds for METAR injection (well it's free for UK coverage, but £5 / year subscription for the rest of the world.) It certainly is better than default for displaying clouds and fog. 

As for winds aloft - I purchased a registered copy of FSUIPC. It can smooth the winds aloft so no instant 180 degree shift, instant stall.

Nice avatar pic of a Starship :cool: