Sign in to follow this  
amalishkin

P3D V3.3 incompatible Sceneries

bytheway i think also with all compatibility problems, we are lucky now that there are programs as prepar3d and steam with new updates after years stopped with the old fsx...problems will be fixed. old simulators don't give any problem.

Thank you Peter for the info. Hopefully it puts an end to comments from people that don't have the technical background.

I believe that a Fly Tampa dev mentioned something about there not being a replacement for the development tools to create scenery.

I'd wondered about this.  The dev process seems to use every tool in the kitchen.  Also, wouldn't it be nice if LM provided a compatibility tool?  Just run it against your 3.2 sceneries and it barfs output to let you know.  A nice tool for the devs as well.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

What many seem to forget is that this is not a BLACK & WHITE change. I would assume that one option is for LM to not release ANY updates at all while the work on Version X.X which will have ALL the major changes ready at once. Sounds dumb, doesn't it? IMHO, this change was meant as a stepping stone in developing a standardized SDK - not a final product. I do not believe that LM anticipated how sweeping this minor change would be - thus the possibility of a hotfix.

And let's not get our drawers in a bunch about the lack of seasons, etc with the new method. It's NOT FINISHED YET folks - wait until it is done before criticizing.

Meanwhile, LM has given notice that many of the old procedures will not be supported and that time is coming closer. The developers have the choice of adapting or not.

I cannot count the number of posts through the years that basically are complaints to get rid of the ancient FSX code and provide better and smoother graphics - people always compare games like Doom, Crysis, etc with flight sim - well, LM is moving towards that aim - but it has to be one step at a time.

I suggest a little patience.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That's exactly what it means Bob, until LM add the possibility of conditional jumps there will be no automatically changing airport seasonal textures or Safegate systems anymore, Ground texture quality may also be affected.

Still it's progress, that's what we all want, right ?

So, what I was beginning to think (after reading thru this thread) is maybe true. A period of updates that will nullify seasonal changes?

My panties are not in a bunch over this, I will simply just stick with the version I run now.

Seasonal changes are quite a plus, in my viewpoint, so I will take a rest in upgrading P3D. What if seasonal changes are missing for quite some time?   

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I do not believe that LM anticipated how sweeping this minor change would be - thus the possibility of a hotfix.

I'd think that's true.  Was it even mentioned in the change log?  The shot's been fired over the bow now so all the devs are probably on guard.  But some more direct communication would probably be beneficial and, perhaps, a way for devs and simmers to check compatibility.  Sceneries can take a year or two to develop.  A roadmap would be wise.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's puzzling, why not make a change like this with V4 and at the same time introduce 64-bit.  It'll break everything anyway so less complaints.  

Ian R Tyldesley

In my humble opinion what I see here is a complete lack of communication between LM and the main scenery developers, which is really bad for a company like LM. LM should sit with a selected number of scenery developers (those who really knows the code and the business) to set up a road map, not alone, but together. Much progress have come from the code changes and improvements made by companies like Fly Tampa, FSDT, FBeam, ORBX (and also in aircraft by PMDG for example) and this cannot be forgotten or underestimated by LM. Pete Downson has already posted his comments here in Avsim forums to this matter and what he's saying is that LM is not necessarily following a way forward, technically speaking.

Now, having a cup of coffee and waiting those "couple of days" for the hotfix and see how all this surely badly managed issue will develop.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 3

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Ed Ive been saying this for over 10 years.  They should hire a conference room at a hotel somewhere for a week and thrash it out (like you said) TOGETHER. But your wasting your breath they wont do it.  I get they all want to sell products to make profit, but what an amazing world it would be if I could just click on the sim, connect the weather and fly, but no, We have to put in a DLL here to stop it ctd if you right click on the screen, you have to adjust the weather settings to make sure the aircraft doesnt flip over due to wake, you darnt click on the overhead panel light or it will ctd.  You have to check why somesoftware has dumped afcads all over the place,   I mean in 2016 no can work out why in EGKK you get the pause on touch down and thats been an issue for 10 years,,, 

The list is endless... when all they have to do is use some personal interaction skills,networking skills and work together.  But no, for a group of IT professionals to use such skills is like Kyptonite isnt it.  Then when you pull them up on it some developer from LM says hes very hurt and upset.  ******* in my business I get called all sorts of names on under the sun, but thats business you take it on the chin and realise that even though the customer is an idiot, hes the bloody customer.     

I can see however slighty see LMs point though why should they bend over for people who are making money off their products but not willing to move with the times, however as a customer who shells out money I cant get my head around why 3.2 was fine then suddenly without telling anyone or advising anyone they released the new version which shagged up the older scenery, and then  let us figure it out after we have installed the stuff and then wonder why we get ######.

On a lighter note, true story I remember 10 years ago I did a flight from EGLL to KBWI on fs2004, I remember because at the time I loved playing medal of honour allied assult and was in a clan,  I could actually back then run fs2004 fly across the pond and have the sim minimized to the task and play medal of honor on full screen for 4 hours.  I could then close MOH and land the plane... no issues.  Now 10 years on thats completely unthinkable, even to turn on the overhead light I have to pour my self a gin and tonic and take a deep breath and count to ten.  and thats after paying 150 quid for a sim and 777......

When i told a 17 year old whose been on vatsim 3 years that sorry of 10 years ago, he didnt believe me... Alas its very true.  How times of changed.  We have been conned,.

14ppkc-6.png

Btw: From a software developer point of view I don't get why everyone is so scared of switching to 64bit. Sure, there are some adjustments to make. But it isn't witchcraft.

Also recompiling old sceneries / other addons in 64 bit should not be the biggest problem ever faced in flightsimming.

Btw2: I am very pleased with Aerosoft products and their support. Just saying.

:-)

Sorry for OT...