Sign in to follow this  
RLJR

New computer setup?

I just received a Lenovo Y900. It is the best I have ever owned. The question is this, it has one drive of 256 G and a 2 TB drive. Which drive should I put FSX? I just haven't used a computer with two drives before. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,RLJR

with all  your  other  fsx  addons ,  the other  drive  for  you  o/s and  other  programs

It's probably a 256GB SSD and a HD or Hybrid disk of 2TB. FS will run a lot smoother from the SSD. If you can spare the space there for all possible addons you might add, I'd put it there. Rather put movies or pictures to the HD.

The old advice about putting FSX on a separate drive from the OS and other programs was only really relevant when just using hard drives (because of fragmentation). Although FSX in flight will not be any quicker from an SSD, it will certainly load much quicker than it would from a hard drive. I have Windows and FSX on my 256Gb SSD and my whole system seems much more snappy as a result. I have most of my other programs that don't need to load lots of data (word processors, and so on) on a hard drive along with some FSX aircraft which I don't use very often (using a folder junction to connect them to the main FSX folder on my SSD).

If one of the drives is an SSD, then that's the one to install FSX on.

Just a  slight correction. The drives are 2TB+8GB SSHD with 256GB SSD.

Just a  slight correction. The drives are 2TB+8GB SSHD with 256GB SSD.

I would still put the OS and FSX on the SSD.

I want to thank everyone for the feed back. I will put FSX on the SSD drive. After I get all of my add ons installed and running I will get back with a report.

Thanks again,

RLJR