Sign in to follow this  
A32xx

Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update

I get the distress expressed here, but as hardware improves and develops, so does the software: that's life, sadly.

My lady has knitting design software from the '90s that (probably) won't run on Win10, but she keeps an old computer with XP to use it with. Given that old PCs can be bought for peanuts, surely that's the way to go if you want to run old apps?

Regarding Windows 10's alleged install-intrusiveness; I personally found that I didn't have to download it until I wanted to, so I don't understand how this forced install being complained of happened (not judging here, I just don't understand). For my 'puter the install went smoothly; for my lady's (other non-XP, identical machine to mine) it was a struggle; don't know why, but we got there.

All in all I'm happy with Win10. It boots faster, and a lot of (very) old stuff I have still runs: MS is generally pretty good with back-compatibilty. Try that with Mac OS!

Note that the Win10 free install option is soon to be terminated.

Regards -- Mick.

My laptop with Windows 8.2 installed did an automatic upgrade without any input from me whatsoever. This, of course, was right before I planned on leaving for the airport to catch a flight. Great timing folks! I lost some picture files in the process as well. This kind of corporate intrusiveness should be illegal. I don't use the laptop for simming so I'm still safe (for now).

That is supremely irritating when that happens: I get butch about it. Force shutdown by holding down the power button for a few seconds and, like, take that forced update! It picks up again when you switch on again.

:P

I purchased PC in October 2014, came with OEM Win 7 (because this is what I wanted) and I never had problem that some other OS was shoved down my throat. Never got any prompts, solicitation, suggestion, etc to upgrade.

Windoz operating systems have been successful on a binary basis (pun intended).  Win 95 wasn't really ready for prime time. Win 98 was really a bug fix for 95 and it ran pretty well.  Millennium was junk.  XP after SP3 was fine. Vista was not so hot.  Win 7 everyone likes.  Win 8 was OK after 8.1 but it didn't set the world on fire.  Finally Win 10 is offered as a free upgrade, or should I say, jammed down our throats but there is hope in this madness.  Every other release of Windows has ether been junk or great, depending on which one you are currently running.  Maybe Windows 10 is the good fairy but the heavy handed way it's been offered makes me seriously consider dumping PCs and windoz and opting for a SOLID Apple product.  

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

In the specific cases I've mentioned, why would the manufacturers of radio gear that has been obsolete for decades be obligated to continue updating the programming software? What would be their incentive? When they drop equipment from production, their goal is to sell the new equipment replacing those that they've dropped!

These software packages are created in house to support the hardware their engineers design. They are not independent software developers who would indeed have a financial interest in keeping their software updated to run on more modern operating systems and hardware.

Fair enough. But doesn't developing new versions of software count as "keeping up with the times"? My point was, that we live in a world where we will always have to pay money to keep reasonably up to date as far as computers go. I think it's unreasonable to assume that we should all be able to pay "one-off" payments for a PC, OS and software, and then just expect to be able to use it forever. Software developers know the are developing software for an ever-changing operating system, and should be prepared to either release a free fix allowing their software to work on new systems or bring out a new paid version of their software. If a piece of software gets so old that it's not worth updating, then maybe it's time the customer moved on to a newer version. If there is no newer version, then usually that's because of 2 reasons. A: the software developers are either sticking with this one and keeping it updated or B: they've gone bust. I don't see why Microsoft should take all the blame.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I don't see why Microsoft should take all the blame.

You are missing my point entirely. I'm not blaming anyone, Microsoft or otherwise. Rather I am providing a solid, rational reason for maintaining several older computers and their respective OS in order to continue servicing old radio gear that's still providing good service to their agencies...

...as well as justification for not necessarily needing or wanting the latest and greatest MS OS forced down my throat.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As Burt Lance said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  So after trying to upgrade one of our less critical PCs to Win 10 three times and ending up with an error code that doesn't google, I've given up and installed the GWX Control Panel and turned off the Win 10 Threat.  Our PCs are only two years old so they and Win 8.1 will serve us for the foreseeable future.  Win 10 is nice and probably runs some better that earlier releases but the fact that Microsoft is jamming it down our throats is terrible.  I'm sure that their motive is to reduce their overall maintenance effort, but as of now, I'm happy to add to it!

I've been monkeying around for computers of various ilks since the mid sixties and I've seen much stupidity from various software and hardware manufactures.  Microsoft's attempt to install their latest version of Windoz ranks up there with Cabletron, Sun and DEC who lost sight of what was really needed and who wound up in the bit bucket of history.  Enough.

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)