Sign in to follow this  
gatechfan_99

I tried Windows 10 last summer...

Further update:

Did what someone suggested that the freeze-ups with FSX had to do with multiple sound drivers, I went into Device Manager dand disabled all the nVidia drivers and rebooted.

I did an OFFLINE flight using only ASN and the PMDG 777, using FS2Crew Voice from KLAX to PHNL.  Flight went extremely smooth and experienced not a single freeze-up.  FSX started with not a single issue.

This afternoon....oh my God...Took FSX several times to start up and hold together after activating FS2Crew and VAFS.  I'm starting to wonder if FSUIPC could be the problem.  Finally got off the ground at Heathrow (where I use the UK2000 scenery demo) and seemed to have one freeze-up, but it was barely noticeable.  I'm over STU now and will continue to track and see if the freeze-up takes place again.

The biggest issue after startup is that the panel would disappear along with the surrounding scenery.  Right now, when I do an external view, I don't see the aircraft all all.  Just the spinning turbines and contrails.  Totally weird.  But I need to complete this flight to meet my minimum pirep for the month.

Like I said, yesterday, I did an offline flight and had zero issues.

5:12 ET update:  Started the freeze-ups again.  Tried to save and restart, but FSX kept crashing.  I'm going to install the Level D 767 and see if that can at eliminate the PMDG as the culprit.  I'm really leaning on the problem to being FSUIPC at this point in time.

John Bradley

AAL132

A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with you, however after using W10 I have to say it really is very nice once you get used to the new look, In operation it seems much snappier than W7 and the new start menu in the latest fast lane build is very functional, much better than the one in Windows 7.

Best windows yet, by far.

+1

Latest update

11:02 ET July 26.

Now FSX is completely broken.  What a frigging mess!!

Looks like this weekend, I'll roll back to Windows 7 and be happy with it.  

I'm now getting SimConnect timing out errors and FSX simply won't open.

John Bradley

AAL132

20141024_win10_0.jpg

Sorry,i couldn`t resist.......

Mike

It's funny - I never thought I'd be jumping on a pro-windows bandwagon (traditionally my main desktop has always been 1 or 2 major versions behind, and I've been a linux user for many years, although not currently), but in the past two nights of using W10 pro, I seriously get the feeling that they actually have fixed or improved so many things that were lacking in the last few versions.  I keep coming across little features that make me shake my head and think "why didn't they do this years ago?".

No consolation to anyone who hasn't had a smooth upgrade experience, I know, but I'm actually forming the opinion that it's worth persevering and seeing the upgrade through.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

20141024_win10_0.jpg

Sorry,i couldn`t resist.......

Mike

I had to laugh...That's hysterical.

Ok...I did a system restore to sometime last week to reset the computer and I'm taking a few days break to figure out what's the problem is.

I'm leaning toward it being an FSUIPC issue at the moment.

John Bradley

AAl132

SOLVED!!!!!

It was a combination of issues:  

1.  Didn't update my motherboard drivers.  BIG rookie mistake.

2.  Did some tweaking in the cfg file.  Added a few lines like HIGHMEM=1 under graphics...stuff like that.

3.  Figured that VAFS could also be a culprit.  Turned off autosave and just completed a cross continental flight from KLAX to KMIA on the PMDG 777.  However I flew this flight offline VATSIM.

Hopefully this solved it.

John Bradley

AAL132

Glad all is well.

Sometimes, our biggest problem is that we forget the basics, we tend to over analyse, & we start fiddling too much.

Remember the old saying... Analysis paralysis..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Glad all is well.

Sometimes, our biggest problem is that we forget the basics, we tend to over analyse, & we start fiddling too much.

Remember the old saying... Analysis paralysis..

I figured it would be something stupid.  Never occurred to me to update the motherboard drivers after Windows 10 started using the onboard sound seamlessly and that "auto-save" in VAFS.

John Bradley

AAL132