Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

777 GMC - simobject question

There is a folder in the airplane simobjects directory

PMDG 777-GMC

I am guessing that this is the taxi camera?

if so, I am wondering why in the aircraft.cfg file it has sections for "exits" and "effects"?

Can these be removed, I wonder if they might help with framerates? Thanks - David Lee

I am guessing that this is the taxi camera?

Ground Movement Camera

if so, I am wondering why in the aircraft.cfg file it has sections for "exits" and "effects"?

Because it was necessary.

Can these be removed, I wonder if they might help with framerates?

Leave it alone.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Ground Movement Camera

Because it was necessary.

Leave it alone.

PrecipitFX changes entries for some effects like contrails and I wasn't sure if I should remove those added effects - David Lee

PrecipitFX changes entries for some effects like contrails and I wasn't sure if I should remove those added effects - David Lee

They should properly set their add-on up such that it doesn't cause any ill effects. If not, that's something to address with them to change, and not something to go rutting around in files to attempt to "fix" on your own.

Messing with files is a good way to screw a lot of things up, so we can't offer support for user-modified items. If it gets messed up, then we're just going to have you cleanly reinstall it to get it back to a known, working situation.

Kyle Rodgers

They should properly set their add-on up such that it doesn't cause any ill effects. If not, that's something to address with them to change, and not something to go rutting around in files to attempt to "fix" on your own.

Messing with files is a good way to screw a lot of things up, so we can't offer support for user-modified items. If it gets messed up, then we're just going to have you cleanly reinstall it to get it back to a known, working situation.

I was going through all the aircraft.cfg files that this addon changed, so I was wondering if I should not only remove their edits but also the entire effects section in the cfg file. And wondered why the doors entry was there, since I have read having this entry can slow down AI traffic because it requires processing for default jetways. I will not touch them and remove the precipitfx edits. Thanks for your help - David Lee

I was going through all the aircraft.cfg files that this addon changed, so I was wondering if I should not only remove their edits but also the entire effects section in the cfg file. And wondered why the doors entry was there, since I have read having this entry can slow down AI traffic because it requires processing for default jetways. I will not touch them and remove the precipitfx edits. Thanks for your help - David Lee

This would only apply if using the PMDG plane as AI - which would not be a good idea. For several reasons.

This would only apply if using the PMDG plane as AI - which would not be a good idea. For several reasons.

Not really. The exit and effects section can negatively effect your fps if it is your aircraft that has it, and the double entries I don't know why it would be needed for the taxi cam - David Lee

Setting the contrail line from an aircraft.cfg file only redirects the "default" effect binding to a custom file instead of the default fx_contrail_*.fx file. So there is always an effect file loaded in the backend for that particular aircraft.cfg

If GMC doesn't show contrails without PrecipitFX, Contrails will not show with it installed.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42