Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Which to buy Meridian or Pilatus PC-12

Guest OneTinSoldier

>Thank you to everyone who has provided some insight. Which of>the planes has a more authentic GPS system? After everyone's>discussion I admit I am leaning towards the PC-12. I really>would like to try some of the Realty-XP GPS systems. Can these>be added to the PC-12?>I got a chance to see a PC-12 in real life at Saratoga this>year. She was beautiful even with all the fancy business jets>hanging around. Saratoga County Airport is a great place for>plane spotting during the racing season.Just to let you know, the Reality-XP 430 or 530 can be added to any aircraft you want. I've been using the RXP530 since it came out for FS2002 and find myself unable to stand looking at the default GPS 500. I have removed the default GPS from all my aircrafts and replaced it with the RXP530(or RXP GL50 for my older types of aircrafts).EDIT: It can only be added if you purchase the full RXP530(or whichever model you choose) from Reality-XP. You cannot add it to any other aircraft if you only purchase the Piper Meridian and do not purchase the full version from Reality-XP. If you purchase the Piper Merdian then the copy of the RXP530 that comes with that aircraft can only be used in that aircraft.Cheers

Guest flight78

Hey i bought the PC-12 yesterday flew with once as of now. Great aircraft !. Only got one problem lol when decending one has to decent at like 1000fpm and 100kts very annoying lol.Best regards:Alexander

Guest IanP

I'm the same - if I see a GPS500 anywhere, it tends to become a GNS530 very soon afterwards.I don't have the Apollo set (must get it at some point), but most of my more modern aircraft tend to end up with a combination of the GNS530(and/or 430), SN3308 EHSI, SN3400 TAWS/RMI and WX500 weather radar in very short order. It's a very quick way to add a lot of functionality to almost any aircraft.On topic, I would throughly recommend the Meridian, I think it is a superb aircraft. I don't have the PC12 yet, but am considering getting it - along with the appropriate RXP refits. ;-)Cheers,Ian P.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Roger that Ian. I got the SN3308 EHSI just a few days ago. Another really great RXP gauge! I'm sure the SN3400 TAWS/RMI is too but I don't have it yet.CheersOTS

Guest aca_dia

Any chance you would/could post the Panel changes you made for that 430 install? I am not very good with panel stuff and the ones I see on the RXP site are for dual units or they include other stuff. I would love a clean panel like that with just the single 430.

OK, I'll upload it at the RXP User Community site. :-)If you need it sooner, let me know..

Bert

Guest aca_dia

No hurry here, but it would be appreciated! I will watch for it. I have the 530 and have wanted the 430 for the PC-12, but I didn

I must say I'm not a fan of the Garmin GNS units. They look great in panels but I find the user interface extremely frustrating compared to the FMCs I'm used to with the LDS 767 or the PMDG 747 for example. The problem for me is that I mainly fly the big iron and only occasionally fly GA aircraft and having to re-master the Garmin each time is a chore to say the least. It just amazes me that an instrument that costs $14000 in the real world still uses a character based display circa 1990.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest aca_dia

With the sim we are at a bit of a disadvantage in that the interface is not natural using mouse. A real 430 or 530 is pretty darn easy to work with. Remember these are primarily targeted for smaller aircraft that don

Yes I agree translating the Garmin to the sim with the mouse interface is the awkward bit and the RealityXP rendition differs from the Garmin trainer, which I find a bit easier to use. I'm a little surprised though that keypad interfaces similar to those used on larger commercial aircraft to input data to FMCs haven't been adapted for the GA market. You would also reckon that someone would have come up with a GPS that accepted data via an SD card or something similar. Anyway in the sim world this all leaves me preferring the default GPS/FSNavigator combo or the SimFlyer's Garmins and other GPS's that are based on the default. Inputting flightplans with this setup is a breeze.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest aca_dia

I am not sure I understand. My RXP 530 works just like the Garmin Trainer (save for an additional click spot or two). The only difference from the RXP version versus the real thing is that we are clicking (or using the mouse wheel) as opposed to actually turning knobs. I fly an aircraft with a 530/430 setup and the RXP versions work identically to the real units (at least to the degree that I use them in real flying).

Guest aca_dia

Thanks I will watch for it to appear!

Guest IanP

The default GPS is a lot more powerful than people initially give it credit for, but it also has a collection of downsides and problems compared to the GNS units based on the trainer (i.e. Reality XP).When someone develops an interface that allows me to put in waypoints directly to the GPS rather than through the obnoxious FS flight planner (e.g. LatLon waypoints which aren't in the default database and cannot be added, not having to drag and drop ten times in complex areas because you didn't drop the line millimetre perfect or zoom in a stupid amount) and when someone stops the "MSG" light flashing continuously to tell you messages you already acknowledged, then I might use it. Unfortunately, in its current state, I just find it extremely annoying. :-(It takes me thirty seconds to set up a simple flightplan with four or five waypoints on the RXP GNSs, or about five minutes to do the same on the default.It's like the default Baron compared to the Dreamfleet one, though. If you're happy with the default, you saved yourself some money! ;-)Cheers,Ian P.

Guest Knikolaes

I own both Flight1's Meridian and thei PC-12. If you get the funda and the chance -- get them both. Both work perfectly, have absolutely no bugs on my system and are great planes to fly.The ONLY differnce in performance between the two is that the Meridian seems a bit more of a hit on frames than the PC-12, but not too much and I fly with all sliders maxed.