Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

X-Plane 10: Clouds & Datarefs - Questions

BTW, speaking of skies, I was experimenting today with the skydome colors, and noticed my X-Plane only seem to use slots 1-8 instead of the full 16. Reading this thread and noticing you're quite the expert on X-Plane skies, do you know why could this be happening?

Is it only happening to me? I don't have Skymaxx or other weird stuff.

Good catch! :wink: X-Plane actually uses only the bottom 8 slots, the top 8 could be black or any other color and nothing would change. Probably they were used in previous versions, and then got discarded.

So, in X-Plane sunsets and sunrises have effectively the same color.

I do have some other clouds from you, also if you read a couple of posts above I have pasted some lua scripts , these I think are yours , will they matter if used now ?

Just used your clouds and went to HUTO got surrounded by clouds but as no HDR I got 30 fps :).

You can use those lua script together with my cloud textures, and have better looking clouds.

My clouds should be less performance hungry, especially the low res ones, so with them plus the lua scripts, a powerful pc could have the sky full of clouds and still get high fps.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You can use those lua script together with my cloud textures, and have better looking clouds.

My clouds should be less performance hungry, especially the low res ones, so with them plus the lua scripts, a powerful pc could have the sky full of clouds and still get high fps.

Ok, but I don't know which one to use, I have two of those scripts and I am sure they are done by you.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Ok, but I don't know which one to use, I have two of those scripts and I am sure they are done by you.

Use the last one you pasted in this thread, that should be good.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Use the last one you pasted in this thread, that should be good.

roger thanks Murmur

@Murmur,

Your cloud and script is amazing, though I got like 12-14 fps with my mesh for the Alps but I didn't care because the cloud cover was great, I used the latest NOAA plugin with it.

@Murmur

I posted the screeny in the other thread but I will post it here too.

BTW you did make script for the daylight.

AS350B3_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Not bad, I think even better cloudscapes are possible.

even better cloudscapes are possible.

I am waiting :Party: 

Near Matterhorn again using NOAA, but the performance dropped here to 13 fps due to my mesh. The worst part about XPlane weather as every1 knows is the redrawing every kilometers or seconds or minutes.

I am using XPlane on an external 20" LED connector to the laptop so the resolution is much higher 16:9 hence the fps also drops

AS350B3_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

BTW, speaking of skies, I was experimenting today with the skydome colors, and noticed my X-Plane only seem to use slots 1-8 instead of the full 16. Reading this thread and noticing you're quite the expert on X-Plane skies, do you know why could this be happening?

Video:

File to reproduce: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7686719/sky_colors_clean.png

Is it only happening to me? I don't have Skymaxx or other weird stuff.

Great find !  :smile:

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

Murmur, can you post again your modified files and clouds files? the link for download is broken, thanks

Murmur, can you post again your modified files and clouds files? the link for download is broken, thanks

This link should not expire. It also includes a lua script (requires FlyWithLua installed in X-Plane) to improve atmosphere/clouds. The zip file should be extracted in the main X-Plane folder. If done correctly, it should ask to overwrite some files and merge some folders located inside "Resources":

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fyJwRhjar5bVJiYmliT3NoN28

This link should not expire. It also includes a lua script (requires FlyWithLua installed in X-Plane) to improve atmosphere/clouds. The zip file should be extracted in the main X-Plane folder. If done correctly, it should ask to overwrite some files and merge some folders located inside "Resources":

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fyJwRhjar5bVJiYmliT3NoN28

I've been using your clouds along with this simple script to turn off the jarring white-out effect, and the results are fantastic. Thank you for putting this together.

I've been using your clouds along with this simple script to turn off the jarring white-out effect, and the results are fantastic. Thank you for putting this together.

Good to know!  :smile:  If you want you can post screenshots.