Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

FS2004 "rebuilding databases"

For the "new" flightsimmers amongst us: my bi-yearly warning :-)If you wonder why FS2004 is suddenly "rebuilding it's database" the next time you start it: this is caused by the changing to "wintertime" (Daylight Saving) in most European countries today.Which is probably done automatically on your PC.Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Guest ThrottleUp

Good to know! Thanks :)

Thanks for the heads up Rob.I just installed a number of add-ons and just when I was done (after re-starting FS9) the scenery database updated again and I thought "great, let's do it all over again".Why do I keep forgetting that this is happening twice a year :-) I must be getting old ;-)Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAMD64-3400,1GB/2700DDRAM,WinXP(SP2),DirectX9.0c,Geforce6800(128MB)(Det.71.89), CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Well, it does it on my machine almost every time it starts.Never bothered to find out why, could be because I've a time server hooked up which updates the time from an external source every few hours.

Guest beana51

Thanx,always learning something! Now ,if I can only "remember" that ,instead of a blank stare at he tube, and with out a clue.Now what were we talking about?? Type louder,please,I can"t read you!! "IT IS SAID THE SECOND THING TO GO IS YOUR MEMORY,WHEN ASKED WHATS THE FIRST THING?,I USUALLY REPLY, I FORGOT!!" CHEERS TO YA!! :-beerchug VIN

It's possible that you have the same folder in the scenery list twice under different names (like Geo Render stuff from Lago for instance)XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 4x512MBLeadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)SB AudigyCH Products Yoke/Pedals USBSee you in the fence...CYYZ

And for those of you that like to understand why ...:-)When the Daylight Saving Time changes (or you change your Timezone manually), the Modification DateTime (which is "local" time) of all files on your PC changes.Now, FS2004 maintains a.o. a scenery database, for which it reads it data from files named "scenery.dat". These "scenery.dat" files are automatically generated by FS2004 if you add (or change) a scenery, and contain the filename / mod. datetime of all .bgl files in /scenery subfolders. Hence, after a DST change, all scenery.dat files and the database are re-built.Cheers, Rob

Guest Jock in a Frock

>And for those of you that like to understand why ...:-)That's me... :) But now you've made me feel like I should get out more... :-(

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi, I had just installed the radio range system from DC-3 Airways and thought it must be about to CTD as it was taking so long to load the scenery files. Duh. How come we can just go and buy these machines, without a permit or anything ?Andy.

Guest IFC2

I must admit, I think it's high time now that we stopped messing about with the clocks twice a year now.there was talk of this about three years ago, but nothing came of it, it all seems a bit ark-aid now to keep doing this, and what a chore it is to keep altering all the clocks and gizmo's in the house/car etc twice a year as well.just my opinion of course,

Come out to Hawaii and you won't have the clock-change problem. Just everything live from the mainland changes by an hour!scott s..

Ahhhh...That was the reason. I already wondered what changes I had made to the scenery.cfg but couldn't think of any.Thanks for the head up.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11