Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Why won't LR fix the light pop in issue?

It's really annoying when flying an airliner and having all the city lights pop in 10 miles away,it's extremely unrealistic since there are no glow in the dark ground textures like in FSX. I've seen many posts about it and LR even commented saying they know about it but there are no plans to increase the distance in the near future..... Considering all they add is it really that hard for them to change this for vast inprovement in realism in the one place XPLANE really shines? This is more of a rant than anything, but yea maybe we should petition them or somthing so they know the community wants it,not just isolated folks who email them about it.

I can understand them being worried about performance but add a slider and let the users be a judge of what works for them

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

the best thing is for people to complain. LR doesnt like changes that much but if people petition they change their mind. they said they would never implement the scroll wheel feature but enough people complained and now they did it.

Guys if it was easy to implement, it would have already been done. The point is, to have an effect, the radius of night lighting would have to double at least, effectively increasing render load by multiple times. Sure they could just add the option, but then everyone would whine that they get 10fps. What they need to do is recode the entire night lighting draw distance logic, and that is a thing for X-Plane 11, not 10.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Guys if it was easy to implement, it would have already been done. The point is, to have an effect, the radius of night lighting would have to double at least, effectively increasing render load by multiple times. Sure they could just add the option, but then everyone would whine that they get 10fps. What they need to do is recode the entire night lighting draw distance logic, and that is a thing for X-Plane 11, not 10.

Considering I get like 20 more fps at night vs day I don't see that really being an issue I think the lights are pretty much free performance wise or atleast handled by the gpu

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I think this type of issue is tied to the 'core' engine so can only hope it has been addressed for XPL11

I'd add a vote for the night lighting draw distance being raised. Even if there were no way one could turn up such a 'slider' to the max, it'd be nice to have the option to try. I'd sacrifice many other scenery settings for night flights if I could have those lights out 3 or 4 times as far.

Ah well, I'll file that wish right there with the rest. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'd add a vote for the night lighting draw distance being raised. Even if there were no way one could turn up such a 'slider' to the max, it'd be nice to have the option to try. I'd sacrifice many other scenery settings for night flights if I could have those lights out 3 or 4 times as far.

Ah well, I'll file that wish right there with the rest. :wink:

Exactly at night you could just turn the autogen buildings off to save performance,you can't really see then at night anyway

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The problem isn't actually the lights, it's the distance which roads are being loaded too.

Street lights are auto-generated nearby streets (contorled by roads.net) , if the street isn't loaded -> lights are also not.

That's why hand-placed lights (in a custom scenery) are loaded to the far distance and those auto-generated lights stop somewhere after 10 miles or so.

Exactly at night you could just turn the autogen buildings off to save performance,you can't really see then at night anyway

Well, some of the taller buildings now have lit-up windows, which looks great if you're flying low enough to see it. Helicopter flights at night can be fun!

Anyway, I agree the night lighting distance should ideally be a user-controlled setting, even if it eats frames. The Laminar devs have always proudly stated that they include features that current CPU/GPUs can't handle, just to allow for future hardware improvements. That sounds good in theory, but with so many years passing now between major versions, the software is starting to feel like it's lagging behind. They need to starting pushing that idea harder with things like night lighting, weather, and everything else.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The problem isn't actually the lights, it's the distance which roads are being loaded too.

Street lights are auto-generated nearby streets (contorled by roads.net) , if the street isn't loaded -> lights are also not.

That's why hand-placed lights (in a custom scenery) are loaded to the far distance and those auto-generated lights stop somewhere after 10 miles or so.

That makes sense they said all that is still handled by the CPU which is why they have such a major impact on FPS (roads,cars and,buildings that is)  They need to move some more stuff to the GPU here's hoping for XP11

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I also wish that LR would increase the distance for light, and include a slider for us to maximize draw distance vs. performace impact. XP10 has the best night lighting environment, limiting it defeats the purpose.

Where / how do we petition?

• Upvote 1

I also wish that LR would increase the distance for light, and include a slider for us to maximize draw distance vs. performace impact. XP10 has the best night lighting environment, limiting it defeats the purpose.

Rest assured that Laminar knows about this issue.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'll start one of those online petitions and post a link here

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

We have extended dsfs for scenery, why can't we have extended night lighting? The 2 should go hand in hand. Sigh. This night lighting issue is a big one, especially for me. X-Plane really, and I mean REALLY needs to do something about this. It looks bad flying at night and seeing the night lighting being constrained in a square, while everything outside of it is black.

At least fade it out gradually so that it looks more subtle, but I'm hoping for a better solution and that's to extend it out into the horizon. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU