Sign in to follow this  
Xiter

Zoom 1.0 with a VR headset

Captains,

Anyone here with a VR headset that can explain/show how much of the virtual cockpit is displayed when the zoom in FSX is set to 1.0?

The reason I ask is that zoom 1.0 on a 16:9 monitor with the line WideViewAspect=TRUE under the [Display] header in the fsx.cfg is the correct zoom to use to display the scenery and the sense of speed as it would be seen in real life, if the distance between your eyes and the screen is set correctly according to the youtube clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwToOzX_UA

The problem with a monitor is that you can't see the instruments and the outside world on approach at the same time at zoom 1.0. But there is a solution and that is to use the HGS.

So I use zoom 1.0 in combination with the HGS on approach for my 16:9 27" monitor.

Interested to know if the scenario is the same with a VR headset.

Hans Hjorth

Hans Hjorth

Dont worry, you dont have to think much using VR. You will see very much the same stuff that a pilot would see.(within the limitation of the FOV).You can use your eye movement to see your PFD and ND.Its all with the real life scale. Any other zoom factor will really kill the immersion. You can use your HGS as well as look at the PFD with your eye movement.Try it once and you will never want to fly using the monitor again :)

• Upvote 1

Thank you. Is what you describe displayed when using zoom 1.0 in FSX?

Best regards, 

Hans Hjorth 

Hans Hjorth

No need for calculation!

With VR you are already in the cockit and the sense of scale and presence cannot be described in numbers or figures. Experiencing it is believing!

If you use Flyinside as I do with the vive you can adjust zoom dynamically.

Jay

yes as Jay said...you are already in the cockpit ..equivalent to zoom 1.0..You need to experience it.. :)

What happens when the zoom is changed in FSX then? Nothing? I use the Spacebar and the scroll wheel on the mouse for that.

Hans Hjorth

Hi Xiter

In the vive with flyinside I bind the zoom to a joystick axis/two buttons and I use it on the fly.I'm sure you can bind to the keyboard-not sure about the mouse. Zoom out is default. Zoom in to use instruments.

Jay

Thanks. I will probably need to experience VR myself before fully understanding how it works. So you never change the zoom within FSX itself when using the VR headset along with flyinside? Is that function somehow disabled?

Hans Hjorth

One question I've held with regard to these VR devices is, how do you click the switches etc? Does a person still have to use a mouse? I'm guessing, yes.

Brian Nellis

One can use a mouse,keyboard(difficult because of the headset),joystick/gamepad,voice control or motion control (leap motion).

All work fine

Jay

once you go to VR you can never fly on a 2D monitor again. 

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram