Sign in to follow this  
FromTheFlightDeck_Sim

FSX on external drive

I've been wondering if its much better to move FSX into an external drive. I have one reason already, and that's if my computer gets hacked or something terrible happens to it.

Is performance a key issue when installed to the computer's drive? I was thinking if FSX would run better on an external because the whole drive is just dedicated to FSX.

Any other reasons why FSX should be on an external?

If your PC  gets hacked and you have to start all over again., ten all sim related registry entries, other DRM and security features would be lost anyway.

The FSX folder is not the only one you have to backup, remember that there are other simulator folders in C: and in AppData. (maybe other sites in the HD  :ph34r:)

FSX or any other disk read intensive program will run slower from an external hard drive, even if it is a USB 3, SATA III with adapter or an eSATA

IMO it would be better if you keep a timely disk image of Your PC and backups in the external HD, then if if you get hacked you just do a restore.

Also keep all your downloads and purchasing info in an external HD. 

Yep, FSX read times will be significantly lower if it is on an external drive.  Routine backup's of internal drives is probably the best route.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I agree with Kabronicus, you will be far better off using the external drive for a system image. You can't restore just FSX from an external drive if the "C:" drive is lost.

That said, if you really want to move FSX to an external drive anyway I've tested it on several external drive configurations and have seen no difference in performance (other than initial load times) on any of them. This includes (all SATA 3) 10000 and 7200 RPM drives, an SSD, and I even tried them in a USB3 docking station. They all worked just fine.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.