Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Flyinside + VR + P3D v3.3 experiences and questions and cfg tweaks

Never easy when you face potentially weeks of down time. Sorry to hear it. The Vive should work ok since it is the same resolution. I'm thinking your eyesight is better suited to the Rift optics? You could try to persevere with the Vive. You could also try a headset for sound instead of the Rift goggle's built in sound. Might be simpler than going through the paperwork jungle on the replacement Rift.

I directly compared the vive with the rift.. myself and at least one other.. the conclusion was that the rift wins as far as sharpness goes.. less blurry, less jaggy.. noticeably less.. one possible fix might have been turning on "allow reprojection" unsure.. at any rate.. yeah i could add on more wires, but thats less desired i guess.. ill just wait it out :)

I did notice since going to 3.4.9 that cloud terrain shadows are gone.. have u ran into this?  i think i need to update the content portion (uninstall old, install the new), i didnt do that.. i was afraid it would break existing addon features.. i saw for a previous upgrade this was needed and the fix (shaders deleted, no change).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I did notice since going to 3.4.9 that cloud terrain shadows are gone

I just updated the client. At one point I thought they were missing as well but at some point I rebuilt the shaders and now they are back. Not sure why it might be something to try.

I just updated the client. At one point I thought they were missing as well but at some point I rebuilt the shaders and now they are back. Not sure why it might be something to try.

Thanks, yea I tried that but no luck

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Here is an example of the shadow difference.. maybe its just rex + asca causing the shadow to be more diffuse (cloud structure above is different than with vanilla/clean), not sure.. rumor is you basically use the P3d tweaker to make the shadows stronger.. i was trying to figure out the cause, because the base vanilla install doesnt show this...

shadowcompare3.4.9ani.gif

Good looks like you are definitely getting cloud shadows back. The lack of contrast in the shadows is what I saw in VR as well after 3.4.9. I thought it was because of some glitch in my PTA setting. After stuffing around fixed it using PTA and a lot of trial and error. I think but am not sure, that the dimness of the cloud shadow is what determines how dull overcast days look as well? Surrounded by light in VR, variations in light intensity are more noticeable for me. 

Good looks like you are definitely getting cloud shadows back. The lack of contrast in the shadows is what I saw in VR as well after 3.4.9. I thought it was because of some glitch in my PTA setting. After stuffing around fixed it using PTA and a lot of trial and error. I think but am not sure, that the dimness of the cloud shadow is what determines how dull overcast days look as well? Surrounded by light in VR, variations in light intensity are more noticeable for me. 

Well i'm not sure they were really "gone", they are just diffuse, i'm trial and erroring another fresh install on another machine to try to see what causes them to become so diffuse though.

back up and running.. new rift is here.. audio is working.. my p3d install is now 99% there too, a few tweaks and soon the PTA too..

but i'm noticing a few issues..

I'm flying with gex + utx + nycx in the nyc city area.. at 5760 res on 2d, ill get around 30 fps easy.. in the goggles its close but a bit lower (max res in flyinside settings).. all things held equal.. anywhere from 24-36 fps.. this also with fsdt POI running with minimal labels mainly on airports and cities (lose about 3 fps having this on).. i like having the labels on, similar to how aerofly fs2 does it, though aerofly its much much easier to read.  All this with "fair" weather, scattered clouds.

At any rate.. i think maybe because of Ultimate traffic 2 loading (i now have ut2 turned on), i get a pause, the screen in the goggles drops out for a sec, it goes back to the "desktop" view.. blue windows circle and not responding on the main p3d window, then back to flight.. takes maybe 8 seconds but feels like forever.

I'm guessing this is ut2 related.. though ill have to turn off ut2 and fly around.

I'd also like to experiment with bringing in external windows into the cockpit, though i'm sure it will tank things. (plan-g v3.x).. i'm thinking ill now have little use for my laptop to run things like active sky and plan-g or other flight planning tools?  I find no change in fps with running active sky at least, on the same box.. but i'm sure if i brought a window like plan-g into the cockpit this may drop (5 fps?).. will test tonight and see.

I'm also going to try overclocking the gpu to see if it helps give me a few more fps, though 2d or vr both, i'm not really seeing a ton of gpu usage.. maybe 76% max.. not sure how to make p3d use more gpu (buffer pools?)..

At this point i'm at 4.7ghz 3200mhz on ram and running the 1080 ftw hybrid (max temp maybe 53 if that).

One other note.. i have vas turned on in fsuipc (024c and s32).. for some reason with a simple p92 eaglet and nycx at one point it ran out (after 10 minutes), gave me the dreaded error message popup, but when i saw the value in the title bar it was 96,876, unless it was too late at that point and already reduced once the pop up occured (i was getting dings)... if this was a true out of memory error, this is a bit troubling.

My latest adventure had me trying to figure a few things out..

with 3.4.9 + 1.62 flyinside.. my p3d window loads up black to the center of my 3 screens.. i drag to the left screen release and back.. it then shows the sim.. however the frame rate is showing full frame rate.. not the 1, or 15 flyinside setting..

This may or may not be contributing to the poor frame rate i now find i see in the PNW near KORS with full clouds and rain (didnt test this before though).. i'm seeing around 20 fps with the rain.. unless i set it to highspeed possible artiffacts.. then it becomes more like 26-28, a bit better.. i also have to keep the AS filtering in the sim to 8x not 16x.. or i lose about 5 fps.

I think UT2 traffic contributes to about a 4 fps loss when its set to 70/30 at least (i turn it off the frames come back up from say 24 to 27).  So that doesnt help.

The other issue is that simstarter NG, you cant launch a saved flight no matter what trick i try there.. it always defaults to the default flyinsidefsx one.

More updates..

Fighting VAS issues now, both in 2D and in VR.. faster in VR i would say though.  Beyond that i tweaked a few things, left UT2 enabled at 70/30 for now (generates maybe 130 craft near for example, chicago)..  

Chicago in 737-800 NGX sitting on runway with 3 layers of clouds plus rain, i'm getting 25 fps at takeoff, between cloud layers it jumps up a bit.  (2D 750mb free, 3D 629MB)

That same KORS test from before where i was in the upper teens i now have it at around 25 fps as well (multiple layers and rain).. take away rain things get really good.. 25 is barely acceptable to me, yeah it should be close enough but i can feel the difference.

I'm still going with basically the same high settings i have linked in this thread and my sig.. except i lowered LOD to 3.5.. i may or may not turn off building receive shadows (not really seeing a gain by doing this), cast from buildings still not on.. i find that anisotropic 16x makes a noticeable difference in sharpness without fps hit too.. leaving that at 16..  Not sure much else of what to cut to gain maybe 3 more ideally, I'd rather not go much lower.

Turning UT2 off completely gains about 4-5 fps.. disabling my DLL.xml (FTX and FSDT and other addons) i gain maybe 3 as well.. so there are workarounds, though simstarter NG cant really be used to assist with this until there is a workaround to launch saved flights at least.

Getting there.  and i must say the flight out of chicago in the 737 was quite awesome, especially flying through the ASCA clouds.

Moving forward now, i've gotten to try the leap motion controller for the first time.. so far no noticeable fps drops with it active.  For instance, my cloudy runway at flytampa midway test in the pmdg reveals a typical 26 fps unpaused.. with the leap active it was 25ish.. by active i just mean connected.. i dont really monitor the fps when using the virtual hands, which i still have yet to fully figure out in the 20 minutes or so of toying with things.  It does use about 1-2% cpu when connected.

I also upped my ram speed to 3466 and it passed prime95 27.9 blend for over 10 hours, so i'm satisfied its fine.  I gained a wopping 1-2 fps by doing this :D

I noticed there are many leap motion tweaks in flyinsidefsx.. i have to figure out how to fine tune things and to learn the full set of gestures.

I also noticed a setting in flyinside i think called world view.. set to default of 100%, not sure what that does yet either, more testing and r&d.

Taking into account the way P3D works it is important remove core 0 in all rift services. Process lasso is the right tool for this. Everything becomes a lot smoother. Removed core 0 in all oculus programs the improvement is real.

Taking into account the way P3D works it is important remove core 0 in all rift services. Process lasso is the right tool for this. Everything becomes a lot smoother. Removed core 0 in all oculus programs the improvement is real.

I didnt try process lasso, but i used task manager.. i tried to set affinity on all rift exe's and the leap motion ones.. so that core zero was not selected.. unfortunately with this method at least, i saw no change in fps.

Making real progress in some areas.. 

I tested DWVAC and now Voice attack, along with the voxkey part of MCE..

At this point i really like Voice attack better than DWVAC, though it lacks a way to specify the exe to associate it with p3d.. reliant on the active window option.. but setting key strokes is a wiz and i now have 20 commands i can speak (generic simulator ones).

DWVAC was less user friendly than the other.

Debate is still on as far as ATC/Crew type speaking software.. looking for something simple yet effective to speak radio frequencies and full sentence ATC commands.. so far Pilot2ATC is winning over PF3.. neither have very good instructions for an ATC newbie, reliant on only a handful of tutorial videos out there, which are even more scarce for PF3.. these two seem better than voxatc so far.

MCE seems overkill to me, more than i need for just GA flying (with the eventual goal of some heavy flying, could be useful later).

On framerate.. in testing hawaii photoreal scenery (from the freeware source + PHOG FSDT).. seems i run into Async. frame rate issues.. ill be cruising at 55 fps, 40, 45 etc (sim rate), and locked at 90.. then suddenly it becomes 60, 64 fps on the async rate, instead of 90 causing studdering (Which strangely goes away if you zoom in using the zoom slightly).

Making real progress in some areas..

I've gone down the MCE/PF3 route and like you fly GA. The way to learn PF3 is to let the PF3 copilot handle all the comms and listen to what he says. Eventually I'm hoping it will rub off and take over from him. There are hot keys for controlling how much the copilot does. I'm finding the MCE copilot useful for doing other jobs when I feel lazy like turning on fuel pump, lights and changing the COM frequencies.

For some reason, some freeware sceneries absolutely tank the flyinside frame rate. Doesn't happen often. I was flying on OZx at bushstrip in the middle of know where. For some reason, something in the scenery makes the frames drop from 90 down to less than half. Yet on Orbx scenery in the middle of a major airport with heaps of scenery, the flyinside framerate sits steadily on 90.

There are so many potential issues, bugs, work arounds in flight simming it is incredible. Almost every flight I hit some other issue or another.

I've gone down the MCE/PF3 route and like you fly GA. The way to learn PF3 is to let the PF3 copilot handle all the comms and listen to what he says. Eventually I'm hoping it will rub off and take over from him. There are hot keys for controlling how much the copilot does. I'm finding the MCE copilot useful for doing other jobs when I feel lazy like turning on fuel pump, lights and changing the COM frequencies.

For some reason, some freeware sceneries absolutely tank the flyinside frame rate. Doesn't happen often. I was flying on OZx at bushstrip in the middle of know where. For some reason, something in the scenery makes the frames drop from 90 down to less than half. Yet on Orbx scenery in the middle of a major airport with heaps of scenery, the flyinside framerate sits steadily on 90.

There are so many potential issues, bugs, work arounds in flight simming it is incredible. Almost every flight I hit some other issue or another.

When you say the PF3 copilot, did you mean the MCE copilot?

I have a feeling ill end up buying pilot2atc + pf3 + mce, just because i dont have enough time to flesh out what i want.. 

I was getting that MCE basically would act as your copilot, handle the radio calls and whatever else you wanted and do so via the voxkey commands (?).. right now i sorta love voice attack, but i guess i'd have to switch to voxkey.

Or are you saying pf3 has its own copilot?  Do you have to have a flight plan to get pf3 to work.. is there a way to auto connect pf3.

The pf3 + mce seems nice, but again, i was hoping to "have" to know the full grammer to say the commands to the tower/ground etc.

I guess there is no way to voice command the frequencies into a GA aircraft without MCE.

The other hassle is that pf3/mce have to be launched beforehand or after the sim loads.. i guess those could be put in the exe.xml, but it would be nice to be able to toggle them via voice.

I guess another option is via voice attack.. launch mce, or launch pf3 after the sim is up, but at least pf3, seems to need to click connect.. same may be true with pilot2atc, now i forget.

In terms of the frame rate, yeah it could be that freeware photo scenery or PHOG (FSDT) causing the drop in ASTW rates..

**Do you find what i've found.. around 25 fps if rain and lots of clouds (3 layers) at harder hitting airports?  I have an accidental 1080 ftw hybrid (2nd one).. coming.. i was going to send back, but i'm thinking i may SLI it and see if my 25 becomes a lot higher.. i'm very curious.. not sure if i just connect the SLI connector if more will be needed in the NI profile to make it boost or not.

Also.. extremely frustrating is the not responding issue when things like traffic load up.. or FSDT XPOI decides to load 30 geonames at the last second on final approach.. it kicks you out of flyinsidefsx temporarily then back in.. more so on the XPOI.. so i had to turn of geonames completely, leaving only airport indicators on in that case.. UT2 traffic pauses isnt as bad, usually only at the start of a flight.

I also get a ton of flickering reflections and clouds off in the distance.. i need to see if its just VR or both vr and 2d.. could be latest driver related, unsure or the need to purge the shaders again.