Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Flyinside + VR + P3D v3.3 experiences and questions and cfg tweaks

Mine is 25-28C idle in a 22C room. Good to be conservative about the overclock in case there is some issue with how the cooler head was mounted on the chip. There isn't much difference a couple of 100MHz here or there. A 4.5 OC is fine. I would turn up the LLC level to max but keep the Vcore down low and only progressively raise it as you monitor temperatures over coming weeks. My Vcore has been on 1.40V with max load line calibration for quite a while without issues on a 4.7 OC but every chip is different. LLC determines how tightly the voltage on the chip is regulated as I understand it. The CPU needs better regulation when overclocking but it comes at a cost of heat.

Discovered something pretty important with Flyinside and CTD. If you overcook the shadow settings everything might seem fine until you pass through thick overcast conditions. Then the frame rate drops, ATW can't keep a lock and Flyinside 1.61 will crash.

Hard lesson learned. Need two different simulator settings, one for VFR and one for IFR. Shadows turned up in VFR but turned down on IFR because of the heavy cloud you get in IFR.

Thanks for the tip on the shadows and clouds.. ill have to give that a shot and also compare with the newer flyinside once out (for 3.4.9).. i'm still on 3.3.5 for now

On the overclock.. your idle temps sound similar.. as you'll see if you view my other cpu related thread post here I kinda blew something up reapplying thermal paste last nite.. i was getting IBT after 1 minute of 84C at 1.375 volts (4.6), but now its over 100C.. new cpu coming too, hoping for lower volts at same frequency and temps.. and a thermal take 3.0 360mm cooler.. if this chip is better i'm delidding it (done this before).

The ddr4 is really what helped in switching from 4930k hex to this 6700k.. clock to clock nearly the same maybe 1 fps worse on the 6700k, but once you apply the 2933 or higher ddr4 speed, boom, fps jumps at each given frequency.. the higher the oc, the higher the fps increase (in my other thread i listed them, but here they are again), this is fsxmark07 paused initial screen with full on ftx/gex/utx etc

2D frame rates below

DDR4 Ram at 2133 on 6700k (AM=85):

-37 fps 4.2ghz   (old 4930k hex at 4.2 was 40 with AM=1365)

-39 fps 4.4ghz

-41 fps 4.6ghz 

DDR4 Ram at 2933 on 6700k:

-43 fps 4.2 ghz (an INCREASE of 6 fps by going faster ram)

-45 fps 4.4ghz 

-47 fps 4.6ghz

**i did try 3200 (and left it at 3200), but there was NO change going from 2933 to 3200.. 

**PerformanceTest Passmark Memory Mark did NOT change when going from Cas15 to cas16:

**PerformanceTest Memory Mark was 2998 for 2133mhz Cas16 Corsair Vengeance LPX

**PerformanceTest Memory Mark was 2998 for 2133mhz Cas15 Gskill 

**PerformanceTest Memory Mark was 3667 for 3200mhz Gskill Cas15 

Side note.. i tried limiting the fps to 30.. hoping this would help with the glitches i saw in the goggles and on screen (thought gpu overuse.. ).. 

No help at all, still glitching with pixels all over the place in flashes at times.. checked gpu utilization both unlimited and with 30, wasnt at 99 for some reason like before, either way.

I will replace this 1080 ftw evga with the 1080 ftw hybrid water cooler version when it comes out which appears to be soon and hopefully within my return window.. just to be safe.

One big thing, i saw the clock speed on the gpu wasnt going above 1733 or whatever the lower upper limit is.. the overclock SC value of around 2000 wasnt happening with p3d, it happens with 3dmark though.. 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

On the overclock.. your idle temps sound similar.. a

Yeah idle temps aren't that good comparison indicator for heat sinking (should have realised that) because even the slightest background usage of the CPU will raise the idle temp.

Thanks for reporting on your hardware overclocking experiments since I cannot afford it - but if I had the money i would too! Delidding sounds interesting but potentially expensive.

I'm on the latest Flyinside now 1.62. Working well but at the moment the PTA mod for controlling brightness isn't working any more for me. I can get it to control cockpit brightness but not scene brightness. Not sure why.

I'll try to remember to take a look at my GPU overclock while P3D is running. Yours seems to be throttling back which suggests that Flyinside is working the GPU harder than 3Dmark does!?

So many DD4 memory tests are indicating that frame rates don't improve much once you pass 3000 to be worth the expense. Not sure about the latest CAS 14's, but doubt it will do much either.

If you have lots of spare money you could try SLI'ing two 1080's! That should allow you to turn on most shadows.

Don't listen to me though or you won't have enough money to buy milk and bread from the local grocer ;-)

The more I'm in flyinside, the more I am realising that 4K super sampling produces acceptable resolution once you get used to it - so long as you have the hardware.

I'm on the latest Flyinside now 1.62. Working well but at the moment the PTA mod for controlling brightness isn't working any more for me. I can get it to control cockpit brightness but not scene brightness. Not sure why.

If you have lots of spare money you could try SLI'ing two 1080's! That should allow you to turn on most shadows.

Don't listen to me though or you won't have enough money to buy milk and bread from the local grocer ;-)

The more I'm in flyinside, the more I am realising that 4K super sampling produces acceptable resolution once you get used to it - so long as you have the hardware.

It sure does look awesome, just in my testing last nite, taking a peak around in the rift was quite awesome at an FTX airport.. seems even better overclocked.. delidding is pretty easy, takes about 10 minutes.. just a little care as you do it for a drop of 8-15c on average.

I probably will eventually want sli, wondering how ill do two with water coolers + fans even in the v51 case.

I preordered the new card, should ship next week i hope (shipping from evga already).. the 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING, 08G-P4-6288-KR

I also wonder on the glitching if the new driver from nvidia may have fixed that... either way cant wait for the water based one and ill try some overclocking with the tool in the evga software and see what it gives me.

Curious on the 1.62... is that with 3.4.9.. i wasnt sure there was an update/working  yet?  I havent updated yet, plus my machine is in pieces/stress testing through tues most likely.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Curious on the 1.62... is that with 3.4.9.. i wasnt sure there was an update/working  yet?

Yep just did an hour fly in 1.62 Flyinside with P3D 3.4.9. Looks good so far but there are a lot of minor issues to sort through. Hope your PC build comes together well.

I'm relieved that I haven't needed to get glasses with the Rift. I'm one of the lucky ones who needs glasses for flat panel but not VR.

Yep just did an hour fly in 1.62 Flyinside with P3D 3.4.9. Looks good so far but there are a lot of minor issues to sort through. Hope your PC build comes together well.

I'm relieved that I haven't needed to get glasses with the Rift. I'm one of the lucky ones who needs glasses for flat panel but not VR.

ended up going with a "pre-delidded" siliconlottery.com 4.7 6700k rated at 1.40 at 1hr realbench.. turned into more like 1.40 adaptive - 0.008 LLC6 (vcore 1.44 max during p95 blend 12 hour).. but thats ok, my max temp was 86C with the thermaltake 360cmm riing cpu water cooler.

I tried updating to the latest nvidia to see if the pixel glitching would stop with the 1080 ftw card.. they did not.

The new 1080 ftw hybrid water arrives tomorrow, will see how that goes.

Do you have a list of PTA settings you like to use in the Rift.. and/or any REX or asn 16 settings?  I have asn 16 and their "soft" clouds running as of now, instead of clouds from REx.. from reading it sounded like it was the better combo.. but i'm also seeing people mentioning HDEv2 as another cloud option too.. too many choices..  curious how you run.

Do you have a list of PTA settings you like to use in the Rift

I'll drop a link to the settings when I get back inside Rift.

Thanks for the update on the new chip and cooler.

I blew a gasket on my i6700k the other day. It suddenly dropped from a 4.7OC and could only manage a 3.5OC. It wasn't a temperature problem temps were fine. I had problems with the chip from day one with stability but managed to get it stable enough for 9 months. I've sent it back and bought another i6700k and dropped it in. I've decided for a more conservative 4.5OC no HT. On the new chip I don't have to adjust any of the voltages and just let the motherboard handle it.

From what I read on the i6700k, the 14nm chips actually handle higher voltage better than the 22NM's do:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/9160#post_25549303

There are a few gamers in the 1.4-1.5Vcore region. I don't think it is worth it. The real OC we are aiming for is 5GHZ or greater but that is not possible on i6700k. It's fine at 4.5OC I think.

Still not getting the pixel issue on the 1080. Hope you get it sorted.

Turns out my 1080 dials back to 1.789GHz overclock in Flyinside despite set at 2.067GHz.

Other than that, P3D 3.4.9 teamed up with Flyinside 1.62 is really working nice. Have imported windows for google earth and navigation maps in the virtual cockpit. There are a few oddities with getting the mouse to focus on the dashboard sometimes, but all in all not too bad.

Flyinside is awesome once you push through the pain barrier on the lower res. The 4K supersample is fine once your brain gets used to it. High end graphics card(s) needed.

Do you have a list of PTA settings you like to use in the Rift.

Here are the settings I muck around with in PTA using Rift and Flyinside:

Rift%20PTA%20settings%201.JPG

Rift%20PTA%20settings%202.JPG

For terrain ambient I'm on 1.00 at the moment which is actually the P3D default.

For terrain diffuse I have it cranked up much higher.

I also increase brightness of the aircraft (cockpit).

Turn off any HDR features as per pic.

Make sure you don't turn decrease the difference between ambient and diffuse to the point that there isn't enough contrast in cloud shadows and ground.

If PTA shaders aren't working for some reason (it has happened to me) delete the shaders ini file in Flyinside and let it rebuild after you have created new PTA shaders. I don't think it matters but give it a try if all else fails. You have to be very systematic when testing PTA and it is a lot of trial and error.

A good way to test if PTA is working in Rift is to load up the default flight and sitting at the tarmac compare the brightness and tone of the grass on the side of the runway when you are adjusting the diffuse setting between sim restarts and shader rebuilds. Grass goes from dark brown to light brown on high settings.

If you can, increase the brightness of PTA so that you can run the Flyinside brightness settings at mid range. I cannot but maybe others can. Saturation in flyinside is also an important tweak.

Love flying VR at night because the residual light totally surrounds you since you are inside the simulator. Moonlit nights using PTA moonlight shaders are beautiful in VR and the city lights and traffic awesome.

Cheers

NOTE: My posts are composed using Rift and Virtual Desktop. Virtual screen is 3.3 meters away. Very little eye strain at that virtual distance for my eyes.

NOTE: My posts are composed using Rift and Virtual Desktop. Virtual screen is 3.3 meters away. Very little eye strain at that virtual distance for my eyes.

Thanks for these.. ill give these a shot in the next few days and see how it goes.

Didnt have a chance to mess with PTA yet..

but the hybrid ftw 1080 is a winner.. 43C max temp in p3d with 93% gpu load (50C max in 3d benchmark tests with 3dmark at 100% gpu).. max temp on my cpu seems to hit 65-68c at 4.7 ghz.. max volts 1.424..

Still getting those "glitches" though.. minor compared to before..

i left the osd view available and peeked while in the goggles.. i'm seeing 2025 mhz for the gpu and 93% max usage in the mini p3d window while in p3d

Side question related to the rift.. has anyone ever lost audio completely.. i cant seem to get audio to play back through the rift anymore, no matter what i do.

Side question related to the rift.. has anyone ever lost audio completely.. i cant seem to get audio to play back through the rift anymore, no matter what i do.

Thanks for the update on your hardware results, always useful for tweaking purposes.

I have had a loss of sound in the Rift however the reason was very silly. Because I can't see anything with the goggles on, I accidentally sat on the keyboard which triggered the hot key in P3D to mute all sound in the sim and then thought there was something wrong with the Rift.

Hopefully for you it will be something simple like that.

For terrain ambient I'm on 1.00 at the moment which is actually the P3D default.

For terrain diffuse I have it cranked up much higher.

I also increase brightness of the aircraft (cockpit).

Turn off any HDR features as per pic.

Make sure you don't turn decrease the difference between ambient and diffuse to the point that there isn't enough contrast in cloud shadows and ground.

My understanding is you HDR is not supported by FlyInside. At least that was the case when I had a Rift and FlyInside back in July. Have you been able to use HDR?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Have you been able to use HDR?

Nop. HDR doesn't work but there is no major loss since in Flyinside you have full UI control of brightness, saturation and darkness (effectively contrast). Only thing missing is bloom but it is a small loss compared to the full scale immersion factor. Just make sure you have a high end graphics card or SLI to make use of 4K supersampling@90Hz which brings first gen goggle resolution image quality up to acceptable depiction.

Thanks for the update on your hardware results, always useful for tweaking purposes.

I have had a loss of sound in the Rift however the reason was very silly. Because I can't see anything with the goggles on, I accidentally sat on the keyboard which triggered the hot key in P3D to mute all sound in the sim and then thought there was something wrong with the Rift.

Hopefully for you it will be something simple like that.

I think its defective.. got in touch with support, looks like they are going to replace it.. unknown how long that will take or if they cross ship the replacement, but we will see.

I still havent gotten to the point where i can really be set to test and it could be weeks before i get the replacement.. i do have the vive but its nowhere near as sharp..

i still have to decide on which cloud software combo i'm going to use and i'm having issues with trafficx v6 causing crashes.. cloud wise i think ill go with as16 textures + asca + rex texture direct ground textures.. which is what i have configured now and maybe the hd clouds freeware that is out there.

I think its defective.. got in touch with support, looks like they are going to replace it.. unknown how long that will take or if they cross ship the replacement, but we will see.

Never easy when you face potentially weeks of down time. Sorry to hear it. The Vive should work ok since it is the same resolution. I'm thinking your eyesight is better suited to the Rift optics? You could try to persevere with the Vive. You could also try a headset for sound instead of the Rift goggle's built in sound. Might be simpler than going through the paperwork jungle on the replacement Rift.