Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Flyinside + VR + P3D v3.3 experiences and questions and cfg tweaks

When you say the PF3 copilot, did you mean the MCE copilot?

In MCE/PF3 combo, you have a copilot for each. MCE copilot handles the systems. In PF3, you can set it up so that you the pilot initiate contact with ATC and the copilot handles the responses. The conversation can be logged and you can read how he did it later. So much for a proper tutorial though. It is amazing how cold they make you dive in. If you leave the pilot voice on, if you say the correct phrase, you will hear PF3 pilot say what you said in the pilots own voice. If you muffed it, the pilot will be silent. That is the only way you can know you made a booboo. Not real good but PF3 is not for beginners it seems. Main problem so far with PF3 is that VFR support at uncontrolled airports is patchy and you can't say all the things you would in the real world. In theory it doesn't really matter because there would be no response to what you say anyway but still, it is immersion breaking. I'm having all kinds of issues with AI traffic not speaking in regional accents at uncontrolled airports. AI traffic not moving about the airport either. PF3 is really set up for controlled airports, IFR etc. I'm still trying to sort out the VFR issues as we speak.

So in summary, I would say that MCE is very likely an excellent purchase for virtual reality. I have no regrets with that. PF3 on the other hand is not so clear which ATC is the best. They all have issues. Maybe Pro ATC might be better now but I could not be bothered going through all the hassle again to trial it right now. Pilot2ATC could be the winner if it fully supported VFR. (EDIT: problem though with Pilot2ATC and MCE working together is that you would have two speech engines running?! Don't like the sound of that)

Wow, love your accidental purchases. If you can trial the 1080 SLI combination in Flyinside, that would be really interesting. I am eventually thinking of doing the same if there are real gains to be had. I've had limited experience in really poor weather and FPS but have not had any problems. At one stage I was convinced I needed to dial back the cloud layers to 3 in AS2016, but the FPS hit in clouds might have been due to excessive shadows settings I had at the time. I would think that with a 1080 SLI setup, you should be able to set the cloud layers back to default 5 in AS2016, and any weather conditions should be a breeze to handle in VR at 90FPS. Of course, the simulator framerate will be unaffected by SLI, so you still might find you are sitting at 25 FPS there. For me, a really smooth flowing 25FPS is still very good compromise situation so long as the GPU framerate is locked solid. In SLI, it would be interesting to know if all juddering is eliminated. I still get some judder in certain situations on only one card.

In MCE/PF3 combo, you have a copilot for each. MCE copilot handles the systems. In PF3, you can set it up so that you the pilot initiate contact with ATC and the copilot handles the responses. The conversation can be logged and you can read how he did it later. So much for a proper tutorial though. It is amazing how cold they make you dive in. If you leave the pilot voice on, if you say the correct phrase, you will hear PF3 pilot say what you said in the pilots own voice. If you muffed it, the pilot will be silent. That is the only way you can know you made a booboo. Not real good but PF3 is not for beginners it seems. Main problem so far with PF3 is that VFR support at uncontrolled airports is patchy and you can't say all the things you would in the real world. In theory it doesn't really matter because there would be no response to what you say anyway but still, it is immersion breaking. I'm having all kinds of issues with AI traffic not speaking in regional accents at uncontrolled airports. AI traffic not moving about the airport either. PF3 is really set up for controlled airports, IFR etc. I'm still trying to sort out the VFR issues as we speak.

This is all very good info.. good research.

So, MCE integrates nicely with PF3, but from what the one developer said in the thread sounds like not so much with pilot2atc.

I think you are saying that the MCE copilot cant handle both the sending and responding to atc with PF3?  How does MCE relay your command.. via that voxkey interface?  You mention you got to get it perfect.. PF3 somehow knows what you said.. or do you mean voxkey would say invoke a command sequence based on Exactly what was said (based on the logging and reading what the correct phrases are)?

What were the limitations with pilot2atc in terms of VFR?

I did end up buying MCE.. now its just a matter of which (or both) of these ATC's to go with (or as you said maybe proatc x).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I think you are saying that the MCE copilot cant handle both the sending and responding to atc with PF3?

MCE copilot can't be told to contact ATC on your behalf. You have to make the initial contact. I think in the default ATC I did get MCE copilot to initiate contact but have been experimenting with PF3 recently.

MCE starts up perfectly with the sim before or after you load up. PF3 on the other hand needs to be started after you are fully loaded and ready to fly. It has no way of automatically connecting up. You submit your flight plan and connect once you are in the cockpit. It is inconvenient in VR because that means switching out to the desktop. There could be ways around that but don't know how.

I never trialled Pilot2ATC. Can't give you info on that. MCE doesn't integrate with Pilot2ATC or ProATC as far as I understand. It is geared up for RC4 or PF3 or default ATC.

MCE copilot can't be told to contact ATC on your behalf. You have to make the initial contact. I think in the default ATC I did get MCE copilot to initiate contact but have been experimenting with PF3 recently.

MCE starts up perfectly with the sim before or after you load up. PF3 on the other hand needs to be started after you are fully loaded and ready to fly. It has no way of automatically connecting up. You submit your flight plan and connect once you are in the cockpit. It is inconvenient in VR because that means switching out to the desktop. There could be ways around that but don't know how.

I never trialled Pilot2ATC. Can't give you info on that. MCE doesn't integrate with Pilot2ATC or ProATC as far as I understand. It is geared up for RC4 or PF3 or default ATC.

Thats a bit of a bummer on the lack of auto connect and a pain to do via the goggles, though workable.

I also dont like that you have to file a flight plan.. yeah i know that makes it more realistic, but often, i'm at an airport, i just want to talk to the tower, get clearance, practice this end of things... take off and then do some local flying and land on the same airport, without the hassle of a flight plan.. pilot2atc doesnt seem to need the flight plan in my experience so far.

So it sounds as if MCE is useful for in cockpit copilot assistance if there is no atc integration (ala pilot2atc) and if you have PF3, then it can do both.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

So it sounds as if MCE is useful for in cockpit copilot assistance if there is no atc integration (ala pilot2atc) and if you have PF3, then it can do both.

ATC integration is very good for default ATC, not so good for VFR PF3. I'd go so far as to say that MC3/PF3 VFR integration is almost useless right now. PF3 is missing phrases. MC3 doesn't seem to have the same level of flexibility on phrases in VFR as it does with the default ATC. PF3 regional voices don't seem to work at uncontrolled airports either.

On the other hand, MC3/DEFAULT ATC works really well together.....

Looks like we have to make a decision. Are we going to fly VFR between uncontrolled airports? Then MCE/DEFAULT and don't have to break out of 3D to set up a flightplan.

Are we going to fly IFR and/or between two towered airports? Then MCE/PF3 and put up with having to break out of 3D to set up the flight plan and manually enter callsign.

Otherwise, drop PF3 altogether and live with the default ATC for everything using MCE for voice. Is there a regional voice product for the default ATC? That would help with immersion.

On the virtual reality side of things, MCE is a really useful more generally for all sorts of things including systems. That is pretty much settled I think.

Took a shot at SLI with that card.. i had no change in P3D (As expected), but NO change in VR as i found out .. started a thread here on the matter, for reference

Suddenly tonight, back to single card.. i'm experiencing microstutters when looking out the left window mainly.. like an eye twitch almost.. quite annoying.. tried going back to the default scenery.cfg .. no joy.. had it recreate the prepar3d.cfg file.. no joy.. reinstalled flyinside again.. no joy..

majorly frustrated.. its only when using the goggles as far as i can see.

Also being plagued with kernelbase.dll errors on resetting of flights (crash at reset), this even with no dll.exe/exe.xml or addons active.

Suddenly tonight, back to single card.. i'm experiencing microstutters when looking out the left window mainly.. like an eye twitch almost.. quite annoying.. tried going back to the default scenery.cfg .. no joy.. had it recreate the prepar3d.cfg file.. no joy.. reinstalled flyinside again.. no joy..

majorly frustrated.. its only when using the goggles as far as i can see.

Also being plagued with kernelbase.dll errors on resetting of flights (crash at reset), this even with no dll.exe/exe.xml or addons active.

(i rolled this micro stuttering issue into its own thread here
To test this..

I used a clean version of 3.4.9 and the roaming and programdata folders.. reinstalled flyinside.. 

Same issue.. still there.. super frustrated.. it either started happening a few weeks ago, or was there all along.. Only thing i havent tried was going back a driver version for nvidia.. though with aerofly fs2, i see no stuttering.. seems to be strictly a flyinside thing.. i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway.

Again, this is stuttering when you look out the left of the plane, stare at the ground.. the ground micr stutters every 2 seconds.

(i rolled this micro stuttering issue into its own thread here
To test this..

I used a clean version of 3.4.9 and the roaming and programdata folders.. reinstalled flyinside.. 

Same issue.. still there.. super frustrated.. it either started happening a few weeks ago, or was there all along.. Only thing i havent tried was going back a driver version for nvidia.. though with aerofly fs2, i see no stuttering.. seems to be strictly a flyinside thing.. i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway.

Again, this is stuttering when you look out the left of the plane, stare at the ground.. the ground micr stutters every 2 seconds.

In my case, the ground judder or micro stuttering when i look out the left window and watch the ground (twitch), may actually be related to the ATW rate dropping below 90.. ie: 67, 76, 85.. if i leave the window up that shows the fps.. and stare at the ground, in the corner of my eye i see it go from the initial 93 or so to those lower numbers.. This at the 3840 x 2374 resolution with unlimited frames (setting to a limit of say 46 didnt help much).

The actual frame rate is something like 60/90 initially.. very frustrating, all on the 1080 ftw hybrid. (single card as of now)

( i still swear i didnt see this stuttering before, but perhaps it was there.. i've since tried everything, old drivers, new drivers.. bare bones windows + p3d clean etc, its always there, unless i go a notch below the max resolution).

Update:  i decided to try the frame rate lock once more.. i tried at first to put it in nvidia NI.. but for some reason it doesnt affect p3d.. so i changed p3d's slider to 48.. my frame rate on driver 368.81 (i rolled back, some said this looked better at the highest resolution in flyinside).. was showing 65 or so in NYCX scenery (i'm not sure how, before i was averaging 46).. at any rate.. after setting the limiter to 48, its now smooth looking out the window and atw stays 90+ (so far)

Per my SLI thread.. i tried the hb bridge, no change.. still head / turn pan stutter, so SLI is a bust.. it was also a bust even when using 4SGSS, it would kill ATW to 40 or so.

Per my SLI thread.. i tried the hb bridge, no change.. still head / turn pan stutter, so SLI is a bust.. it was also a bust even when using 4SGSS, it would kill ATW to 40 or so.

Further testing, i am now using 2SGSS and that doesnt seem to have an impact and the shimmer is reduced somewhat.

Guys

I feel for you. I've been caught up in this loops too.Tweaking endlessly in vain rather than flying.I've moved to x-plane and it looks like it's great for vr.The FI for x-plane is in beta and is looking good.

Tweaking days will be behind us soon

Jay

Guys

I feel for you. I've been caught up in this loops too.Tweaking endlessly in vain rather than flying.I've moved to x-plane and it looks like it's great for vr.The FI for x-plane is in beta and is looking good.

Tweaking days will be behind us soon

Jay

When you say you have moved to xplane, do you mean you have a beta of version 11 that includes VR support or did you mean 10?

When i looked into the forthcoming version 11, they seemed to indicate out of the box there would be no VR support.. some i'm curious how you are getting VR working and how you have a beta if it is 11?  Would love to test.. 

I also thought the same to be true with Aerofly FS2, which is pretty amazing out of the box..

Either way, the addon support for Aerofly is still in its infancy.. xplane i'm not so sure, i guess there are more than aerofly.  The hard part is parting with the tons and i do mean TONS of addons available for p3d, many hundreds of dollars or more that i've spent to get it to where it is today.. if natively half of the features work out of the box, that exist through addons with xplane or eventually with aerofly then maybe prayers have been answered :)

The way i see it, ill probably use all 3.. they all have their bonuses...

At any rate.. curious what you you meant about xplane.. 

Hi there

I'm beta testing FI for x-plane 10.It's pretty polished at the moment and nearing release.

I think X-plane 11 will have VR support.

You could register on the flyinside forums and pm the developer if you want to beta test as the

tester list is now closed.

Like you I have a lot of money sunk on P3D and FSX but am fed up of the CTDs and VAS issues.

I'm saving my money for x-plane add ons now.

And Radar contact and PF3 can be made to work with Xplane.

Also there are so many mods and sceneries that are free on the X-plane.org site.

If you do make it as a beta tester for VR you can try/buy X-plane 10 and get a free upgrade to 11 on release as long as you use the x-plane.com store

Jay

Hi there

I'm beta testing FI for x-plane 10.It's pretty polished at the moment and nearing release.

I think X-plane 11 will have VR support.

You could register on the flyinside forums and pm the developer if you want to beta test as the

tester list is now closed.

Like you I have a lot of money sunk on P3D and FSX but am fed up of the CTDs and VAS issues.

I'm saving my money for x-plane add ons now.

And Radar contact and PF3 can be made to work with Xplane.

Also there are so many mods and sceneries that are free on the X-plane.org site.

If you do make it as a beta tester for VR you can try/buy X-plane 10 and get a free upgrade to 11 on release as long as you use the x-plane.com store

Jay

Thanks.. oh i see, flyinsidefsx for xplane 10.. ill have to pm them and see.

Unfortunately i bought x-plane 10 via steam, so i doubt the free upgrade will apply.. hopefully the full price isnt too outrageous and there is FI support for x11 till they get native support (they said a future version of 11 will have it).