Sign in to follow this  
jose88

Please help. Microstuttering

Hi guys.

I try mamy times to have a smooth as my X-Plane 10 P3D but never achieved the objective.

Recently i upgraded to a 1070 and a 24' Gsync monitor. The other specs in my signature. 2600k 4,6Ghz HT Off and dedicated SSD.

Many many tests with in game settings but always results in a non smooth sim at all even with good FPS.

I have a very smooth sim with default ac and scenery and about 100Fps. Gsync works very well. But when i load an Aerosoft airport and PMDG 777 it have micro stuttering always. It have about 40Fps on ground but with some drops below 30. I tested many many setups but can't have smooth as silk.

Now i have NI only for SGSS 4x. NCP with max power and Gsync. 144hz.

Can you help me to get rid of those stutters?

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

José, I think you should read the "Prepar3D Guide V1" written by Rob Ainscough available here at AVSIM.

http://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-avsim-prepar3d-guide/

You might find your answers there.

With your setup, you should have fluid P3D experience.

Cheers

I just read it. I have tested many things and read many posts here and there but no luck.

I had installed P3D 3.3.5 before and unistalled. Maybe the files remaining that i does not deleted are possibly causing issues?

I have a very smooth sim with default ac and scenery and about 100Fps.

Goodness... you don't need 100 fps and that leaves very little time for each frame to be processed.  Try frame rate locking to give the process time to work and minimize the "long frames" that are characteristic of stutters.

More tests.

Seems that with Gsync i have a pretty smooth sim, but noticed that sometimes FPS drops below 30 and possibly cause stutters. 

Is normal that FPS drops with my system and Aerosoft scenery and PMDG 777? 

I have frame rate locked at 20 and it never drops below an average 19.6 with smooth animation.  Also using a 4k screen running at 30 Hz.

I have poor FPS when locked

There are a few things you don't understand.  First, frame rate is not as important as smooth animation.  For example, a very high frame rate may suffer from stutters but a lower rate is smooth... which one do you want?

There are a few things you don't understand.  First, frame rate is not as important as smooth animation.  For example, a very high frame rate may suffer from stutters but a lower rate is smooth... which one do you want?

When i lock FPS i get poor stutters.

Are you locking frame rate externally in NI? What are you setting for frame rate limit?  By any chance is the Aerosoft airport you have problems with the London Heathrow?  Basically, that one is a dog that no one gets good performance with (the airport scenery is 4.5GB,   your maximum VAS is 4GB, those developers need shot IMHO). I got rid of it and am happy with UK2000.

I have a 980Ti and a 4K TV that I run at 30 Hz, with P3D internally frame limited to 20 fps, VSync and Triple Buffering.  All is as smooth as silk including any airport except aerosoft EGLL.

Are you locking frame rate externally in NI? What are you setting for frame rate limit?  By any chance is the Aerosoft airport you have problems with the London Heathrow?  Basically, that one is a dog that no one gets good performance with (the airport scenery is 4.5GB,   your maximum VAS is 4GB, those developers need shot IMHO). I got rid of it and am happy with UK2000.

I have a 980Ti and a 4K TV that I run at 30 Hz, with P3D internally frame limited to 20 fps, VSync and Triple Buffering.  All is as smooth as silk including any airport except aerosoft EGLL.

No. I lock in P3D. Tested many numbers but always unlocked resulted in a more smooth sensation

No i am testing in Malaga.

20 Frames is not a little bit?

Even, think that limiting Frames with Gsync is an error. Also my monitor can't run at 30Hz.

I have about 35-40 Fps in ground with 777 and As, and the sim is smooth, but some stutters because frame drops below this values.

Maybe i need an 6700k.

Today i will receive my new i7 6700k with an Asus Z170 Gaming Pro and 16GB of Ripjaws V 2400Mhz...

Here I use Unlimited with monitor freq at 24, Dxtory limited at 24 and AM=340 .

With my very high detail in P3D this is running very smooth .

What confuses me in this matter and in the Rob`s excellent guide is as follows. In the pictures at the beginning of the guide he recommends frames to be Unlimited. But later on the guide, he recommends to lock the frames -2 of the desired number and only to use Unlimited if the rig can maintain  e.g 60 fps. So,the question is, I can´t maintain 60fps,my monitor is at 60Hz, should I lock my frames? What about those pictures, which shows that even low end computer should use Unlimited?

What confuses me in this matter and in the Rob`s excellent guide is as follows. In the pictures at the beginning of the guide he recommends frames to be Unlimited. But later on the guide, he recommends to lock the frames -2 of the desired number and only to use Unlimited if the rig can maintain  e.g 60 fps. So,the question is, I can´t maintain 60fps,my monitor is at 60Hz, should I lock my frames? What about those pictures, which shows that even low end computer should use Unlimited?

There is no one setting that works for everyone.  Also, there are interactions between many of the prepar3d.cfg file tweaks so it's too simplistic to say A or B works best.

Pick unlimited and see how things work for a couple hours, then pick a frame rate lock at..oh say 30 and see what happens.  Find the settings that work best for you.

Why the small font???  Make it hard to read.

Thank´s for the reply, usually I have been flying with the limiter set as unlimited, frames locked in NVI to 39,8 and has been quite happy with the result. But now this excellent guide got me confused.

Sorry about the small font, it´s the workplace´s computer, don´t know why it has that kind of thing on it.

The disadvantage to external frame rate locking is that there are things happening in the P3D rendering engine that are affected by a frame rate lock.  If it is external the rendering engine is not aware of it and is not going to make the best of the rate lock, it will continue to act as if the rate is unlimited and limit the processing during each frame.

This external rate lock is a left over from pre-version 3.x.

The disadvantage to external frame rate locking is that there are things happening in the P3D rendering engine that are affected by a frame rate lock.  If it is external the rendering engine is not aware of it and is not going to make the best of the rate lock, it will continue to act as if the rate is unlimited and limit the processing during each frame.

Dan,

Are you saying that LM has finally fixed P3D internal FPS limiter? I haven't checked it since 2.5, as it used to be "general consensus" that the internal limiter tend to limit FPS even more and create stutters that's why many simmers switched to NVI external limiter.

Any positive changes since then?

Thanks

Dmitriy 

Wow Dmitriy, now at v3.3.5 there has been much improvement. The change list at the LM website is extensive.  Most notable is that v3 moved much rendering work to the GPU and started removing unused scenery from memory when resources become limited.  Even the much despised artificial head movement that never worked well is gone. There is a lot of road traveled since 2.5.

Wow Dmitriy, now at v3.3.5 there has been much improvement. The change list at the LM website is extensive.  Most notable is that v3 moved much rendering work to the GPU and started removing unused scenery from memory when resources become limited.  Even the much despised artificial head movement that never worked well is gone. There is a lot of road traveled since 2.5.

No-no, I'm on 3.3.5  myself since day 1. however I'm still using external NVI limiter. Perhaps should try it the internal one myself

Correct, and I took from the gurus on this forum that the use of internal locking of FPS create some other performance problems in P3D related to reservation of extra frames ahead when using any FPS setting but Unlimited.

So the best possible solution for performance vs. picture quality in P3Dv3.3.5 is Unlimiting FPS but locking VSYNC in P3D and, very important, setting your monitor to some reasonable refresh rate like 30Hz IF your monitor can SUPPORT it. I'm fortunate to have 30' NEC monitor and I'm using 25Hz v.refresh (+Unlimited +VSYNC in P3D), which makes my flying @25FPS in the most dense areas like London with all the UTX,FTX,UK2000 add-ons smooth like silk on my relatively new system (6700K @4.6 8Gb RAM, TITANX).

So the best FPS tweaking in P3D is in a way very much dependent on your monitor capabilities as the monitor's refresh rate + P3D VSYNC are what eventually limits your FPS without P3D churning out extra frames, but limiting the undesirable unlimited setting that creates bluring of textures and other problems otherwise.

Dirk.

Correct, and I took from the gurus on this forum that the use of internal locking of FPS create some other performance problems in P3D related to reservation of extra frames ahead when using any FPS setting but Unlimited.

So the best possible solution for performance vs. picture quality in P3Dv3.3.5 is Unlimiting FPS but locking VSYNC in P3D and, very important, setting your monitor to some reasonable refresh rate like 30Hz IF your monitor can SUPPORT it. I'm fortunate to have 30' NEC monitor and I'm using 25Hz v.refresh (+Unlimited +VSYNC in P3D), which makes my flying @25FPS in the most dense areas like London with all the UTX,FTX,UK2000 add-ons smooth like silk on my relatively new system (6700K @4.6 8Gb RAM, TITANX).

So the best FPS tweaking in P3D is in a way very much dependent on your monitor capabilities as the monitor's refresh rate + P3D VSYNC are what eventually limits your FPS without P3D churning out extra frames, but limiting the undesirable unlimited setting that creates bluring of textures and other problems otherwise.

Dirk.

Thanks ,

I have the VSYNC@30HZ solution and it is butter smooth when FPS is not dropping below 30. BUT you may have open my eyes to the 25HZ solution.

Cant wait to go back to test my 4K if i also can choose 25HZ  :wink:  :smile:

Thanks

Michael Moe

Thank you for this tip, I ended using NVI`s frame limiter and things are better with P3D`s own limiter set unlimited. 

Seems like 30hz solution works only with 4k monitors. I have 1440p 2k and my eyes get jammed every time I try to set the monitor to 30hz.

(...) By any chance is the Aerosoft airport you have problems with the London Heathrow?  Basically, that one is a dog that no one gets good performance with (the airport scenery is 4.5GB,   your maximum VAS is 4GB (...)

Dan, i dont understand what you mean exactly by that. If it was true that is was 4.5 GB then the scenery couldn't even be opened in the memory. I'm owner of that Aerosoft EGLL and i get around 1 GB of VAS left when a PMDG 737 is parked at the gate...and on taking off the FPS drops down from around 25-26 at parking position to around 20 fps. So it is quite "heavy" but still "very usable" for me. And i have the whole ORBX-basis package like vector and so on installed. So i dont really understand why you say it is not usable...I'm having an i7700k with 3.5 Ghz.

Cheers

Franz