Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

ELDERS REACT TO HTC VIVE (VR)

This really tickles me. When I was a kid, I tried repeatedly to get grownups to try and play videogames with me, and the reaction was always about the same as if you had offered garlic to a vampire. I wanted them to share my fun, or at least try it, but the adults in my life steadfastly recoiled from the opportunity, saying things like "Oh I cant do that stuff!" or waving their hands with nearly panicked looks and going "Oh, no no, no no!!"

I always felt a bit sad that they not only didn't understand, but didn't even want to try to understand.

Strangely enough, years later some of those same adults owned XBoxes and Playstations and very much enjoyed certain types of games.

Go figure.

So this tickles me, because it address an evil little evil fantasy I had at the time of somehow getting them to try it anyway when I was a kid. I would have loved to see if they were good at it (or could have become so) and really, I just wanted them to let go a little and join me for a bit of childhood; It would have been awesome to have seen their reactions.

Kind of like friends that run from the concept of Flight sims. "Oh, I can't do that stuff!!!"  :wink:

These guys actually try. I love them. And wonder how my mom would have reacted.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

That's awesome, I could never get my "elders" to try gaming either, glad to see there are those that will try and have a little fun!

I guess I'm one of the small group of parents that did.  I played Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Brothers with my 2 sons on their Nintendo 64, and Sonic the Hedgehog and EASports Madden NFL and NHL on their Sega Genesis back in the late 80's early 90's.  Hope I got the names right, been a long time.  :smile:

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

They will have those memories forever!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The first video game I ever played was Star Trek on a DEC PDP11. It was rather boring as I recall, but it was fun playing with the computer!

I'd really like to experience the HTC VIVE! :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The first video game I ever played was Star Trek on a DEC PDP11. It was rather boring as I recall, but it was fun playing with the computer!

I'd really like to experience the HTC VIVE! :Applause:

Family just was here and my computer became the center of attention, with people taking turns having various experiences in the Oculus.

Most common reaction? People reaching out to try and touch things while exclaiming things like "Jeez!" "Wow!" "OMG!!" etc.

Beforehand, my little niece (7) spent some time time in a chair happily kicking her legs while watching "How To Train Your Dragon" in a huge virtual movie theater. You really do seem to be in the theater, with other seats all around you and a HUGE Imax sized screen up front with the movie playing.

Fun stuff, and my eldest niece left vowing she was going to have one (if not more) by Christmas. The later generations of the family have always been techy, (They say its all my fault)  :smile:  

Devons rig