Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

ActiveSky . .

Guest Crimguy

I was landing at KPAN (in real life, that is) and noticed what I find really missing in FS: mountains and terrain causing turbulence here in the heat. Particularly in that area, the ride can get very bumpy as you approach the strip, and smooths out only when you cross the threshhold. Other area airports that have a similar ride are KSEZ and KFFZ.I noticed ActiveSky. Does it recreate this effect? How does it fare? I noticed they upped the price - are there any alternatives?Thx!

Hi,Thanks for your interest!Yes, ASVE does re-create terrain based turbulence. I will let others describe thier findings.If you are an AS2004.5 owner the discount price is still in effect and the price for ASVE has not changed since release, if that is what you meant!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

an amazing product, turbulance through the clouds and when over mountains and desert, when flying in the wake of other aircraft, and other examples that make it one of the finest add-ons ever

I'll second Big Al on his comments. ASV is the first weather program to allow me to really "feel" the weather around me and make me think about flight decisions like you have to in real life. I don't sim without it now and give it my highest recommendation especially to real pilots that want to use the sim.Zane

I believe it is correct to say that thermals are also included in sdome of the ASVe data retrieved from the AS servers.The experience even flying over hilly/mountainous terrain at higher altitudes way above the terrain still reflects proportionately to your AGL the terrain based vertical drafts and convective forces (the latter if reported in the data).I noticed this in some daytime fall flights crossing mountains from Zurich to Nice (Cote' de Azure) for a little holiday vacation travel in a 737-800 as the A/P maintained altitude at FL320. As I climbed in departure the terrain based turbulence followed the turf (mountain winds) and decreased as altitude was gained.

Guest Crimguy

Interesting comments, thx all. Does it model the variances in thermal temperatures at low altitude, i.e. during short final over varied terrain or in very hot weather, or is it only look at the big stuff like mountains and hills?Regarding price - I thought the old version was $29.95, but I guess I was mistaken. Still a reasonable price.

Don't recall the exact environment (no precip though) but I've experienced bumps in large and GA on final that if not on ILS require pitch correction to maintain the correct vertical profile - seemed realistic as when I flew real GA.

Guest DNelson

Only problem is, the realistic wake turbulence doesn't mix well with the lousy FS9 ATC. Once I was on an ILS in the Eaglesoft Citation, in solid cloud, when a 747 passed about 50 feet above me (and I had been cleared for the approach!). The wake turbulence knocked me inverted. :-lol

>Im thinking of purchasing Active Sky, does it run in the>background while you run FS9?>>BillYes

Active Sky is a must have if you like accurate and detailed weather, at least as accurate as FS is capable of displaying.Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

I'll second that. I put off buying AS for a long time, thinking the FS9 online weather was good enough. Now I won't fly without AS. Fitz

Hi Again Crim,It will also look at the smaller terrian features and temperatures as well.AS2004 was that price, but keep in mind that so much more has been added into ASVE! AND there is more to come for ASVE!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest neilb

While theres an ActiveSky thread ;)Does it help, or stop, the annoying FS habit of having clear skies and then suddenly being placed in the gray soup?FS does that to me all the time. I'll pop out of it, then pop back in, and it doesn't do it gradually, its clear, then dense cloud/fog, then clear. Grrrrr.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

"...when a 747 passed about 50 feet above me (and I had been cleared for the approach!). The wake turbulence knocked me inverted."If you're serious, ASV will be mine by week's end. That's awesome!Now, if only SOMEONE (not I, brains for such I lack) could make it possible for ATC to behave appropriately, lol.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!A pilot pulled out a .38 revolver and placed it on top of the instrument panel, then told the navigator "I use this on navigators who get me lost!"The navigator pulled out a .45 and placed it on his chart table. The pilot asked, "What's that for?""To be honest sir," the navigator replied, "I'll know we're lost before you will."

Guest bobsk8

Regarding Active Sky, last night I took my LevelD 767 for a short hop from Atlanta to Nashville on Vatsim. When I asked ground control for active runway after getting clearance, I was told that I there was a grounds hold into Nashville due to very bad weather in Nashville. Finally I was cleared to Take off but advised that I might still haved problems going into Nashville.Flight to Nashville was uneventful until I noticed that the Radar was looking pretty bad about 70 miles from the airport. I started a descent and the airspeed was fluctuating about 30-40 knots from my AT setting and altitude was jumping up and down around 400 feet. Lightning was flashing all around and turbulence was moderate to heavy. Then the rain started pouring around 11,000 feet and thunder claps and up and downdrafts were constant until I got on the ILS for 20L. I was so absorbed in all this I forgot to dial in the LOC freq and realized it after I flew though the localizer and was warned by Nashville Approach. A quick turn, dialing the radios at the same time, and back on the LOC and made a good touchdown, handflying the remainder of the approach. Do I think Active Sky makes it realistic??,,,,, You bet it does....

Hi Bob, Did you SAVE that weather ??? Now that sounds exactly what the doctor ordered... I have ASV - sounds like I need to start looking for some bad weather... Great narrative too !!!Regards,Scott

Guest bobsk8

>Hi Bob,>> Did you SAVE that weather ??? Now that sounds exactly what>the doctor ordered... I have ASV - sounds like I need to start>looking for some bad weather... Great narrative too !!!>>Regards,>ScottActually I have saved weather sometimes, but I find that I almost never use it again, so I stopped doing that. I just like flying in actual current conditions. I think you can download old weather files from the AS server, but I am not certain of that.

>Actually I have saved weather sometimes, but I find that I>almost never use it again, so I stopped doing that. I just>like flying in actual current conditions.I'm with you Bob, I thought I'd be using old weather schemes so saved them initially and then found when I fire up the sim I'm only interested in what the weather is right now. Very rarely I'll get home from work and wonder what it would have been like to make a flight earlier the same day and I'll download the archive for a block of time earlier in the day. Sounds like quite a storm you got into in the earlier thread. I recall the naming for turbulence...Mild = You're getting tossed about but loose objects aren't flying around yetModerate = You're really getting tossed around and loose objects are flying about (you read about windows getting knocked out by unsecured objects)Severe = You're getting tossed about to the point of making it difficult to control the aircraft

Guest LonelyplanetXO

I owned AS2004 & put off buying ASV for some time due to the price. However, after reading many positive reviews I eventually capitulated and dragged out the plastic. Overall, really like it. It's a worthwhile investment because its one of those addons which radically improves the immersion factor, esp if you're used to flying GA in real life. Recommended.LonelyplanetXO