Sign in to follow this  
wazooda

Best way to practice getting lost with P3D?

I have a long cross country flight coming as part of my flight training where my CFI is going to try to get me lost.

I'll do my best with visual references, but we will be flying in an area I am generally unfamiliar with.... so I'm sure I'll also be trying to utilize VOR's.

I'd like to practice in advance in P3D, but have not figured out a good way to get myself lost.

Is there a way to start a flight in a random area so I can try to find myself? :)

Thanks!

-Paul

I learned this kind flying by using ICAO VFR charts and photo scenery in P3D which reflects the real world. Flight planning is done with SkyVector. Leave the GPS in the plane off for training! Otherwise, there is no learn effect

Best Wishes,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I learned this kind flying by using ICAO VFR charts and photo scenery in P3D which reflects the real world. Flight planning is done with SkyVector. Leave the GPS in the plane off for training! Otherwise, there is no learn effect

Best Wishes,

Chris

Agreed.

But I find trying to get myself lost in the first place is difficult.

Was hoping there was some random placement feature I was unaware of.

If not, I guess I'll experiment with trying to use the map in the beginning of missions to move my plane off the home airport with my eyes close. :)

Agreed.

But I find trying to get myself lost in the first place is difficult.

Was hoping there was some random placement feature I was unaware of.

If not, I guess I'll experiment with trying to use the map in the beginning of missions to move my plane off the home airport with my eyes close. :)

In FSX you can "grab" the aircraft in the map and move it somewhere else. Maybe you could do the same in P3D...with your eyes shut, play pin-the-plane-on-the-map? Then go back to the sim without looking at where you ended up.

Alternatively, create a flight plan based on landmarks, put a layer of cloud below your cruising altitude and also a healthy dose of wind, and leave the GPS and NAV radios off. Now navigate the entire flight by using dead reckoning.  When you're say, halfway through the flight, remove the cloud layer and work out where you are. Do it again when you think you should be at your destination.

Getting lost shouldn't be a problem...  :smile:

You could also use the slew mode with eyes closed to put yourself somewhere random.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot_zps560238d1.jpg

That is a fun exercise and hugely satisfying.  I did what Chris did.

How about getting a friend to place your aircraft for you?

Stuart Furley

Here what is best thing to do when you are really  lost: climb, conserve, communicate, comply.

If you not using VOR/NDB navigation on the first place, and don't know where you are  - I don't think by dialing one can help you much. In this case your best friend is flight following to start with (also handheld radio for back up), and magic frequency 121.5 as the last resort 

Now if you find yourself a bit off the course and not completely lost. Given your situation awareness where you can determine approximate position of your aircraft  than VOR cross radial will help to a your fix on your aircraft and adjust it position accordingly.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI