Sign in to follow this  
Spackman

Autopilot & GPS Coding File Location?

I have a number of older aircraft that I have been able to retrofit  a 3rd party AP/GPS unit into & have it work by tweaking the Aircraft.cfg & Panel.cfg. files.

When the AP/GPS is activated the aircraft will climb to the set height at the set VS, following the Flight Plan GPS track to the destination.

I do this as my eyes aren't the best & I can't watch a screen for the entirety of a 2 hour flight.

However, I have a few aircraft that accept the AP/GPS unit, light up the correct buttons when I push AP, Nav, GPS & Alt on the unit, but won't follow the GPS track.

I am trying to find where the programming for the AP/GPS is hidden so I can, if possible, tweak it & get AP/GPS working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I am having a similar problem with my GoFlight MCP Pro autopilot. Engaging LNAV with the CMD buttons armed does not result in the aircraft following the magenta flightplan course line in the FMC. I will be interested to see how others reply to your post.

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Some ideas to try -

1) For the aircraft that doesn't follow the GPS try using the complete [autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg from one that does work.

2) Following the GPS track uses the command " TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1" therefore the aircraft must have the NAV1 radio at least configured to be working. Not necessarily installed in the panel. Again in the aircraft.cfg check to see that they have at least these entries -

[Radios]

Nav.1         = 1, 1, 1

Of course, save a backup up the aircraft.cfg prior to any mods. 

If the AP/GPS units work in other aircraft it means they are correct. It's the aircraft that is not interfacing correctly.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Is there code for enabling LNAV capability in an aircraft.cfg file?

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

It would probably make things much easier to understand if the specific aircraft were known... 

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

On 1/6/2017 at 10:47 AM, spokes2112 said:

Some ideas to try -

1) For the aircraft that doesn't follow the GPS try using the complete [autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg from one that does work.

2) Following the GPS track uses the command " TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1" therefore the aircraft must have the NAV1 radio at least configured to be working. Not necessarily installed in the panel. Again in the aircraft.cfg check to see that they have at least these entries -

[Radios]

Nav.1         = 1, 1, 1

Of course, save a backup up the aircraft.cfg prior to any mods. 

If the AP/GPS units work in other aircraft it means they are correct. It's the aircraft that is not interfacing correctly.

This is very helpful.

I have just put a WeFly AP/GPS unit into a Milviz F-86F-30.

Everything works, (follows GPS Flight Track & climbs at set VS),  other than it won't flatten out at the preset altitude. Even though VS goes to zero when preset altitude is reached, F-86 keeps climbing.

Any thoughts on how I can fix that?

TT45