Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Asus Z170 vs MSI Z170

OK folks, I know this is could be highly subjective, but I'd really value your views anyway.

I've been a dedicated, and highly impressed Asus user for many years. It's at least 15 years since I've had an MSI motherboard, and it gave me grief.

I believe MSI have now become a major player in the top end range of boards.

Basically, I have just one question, broken into two parts...

A) Does anyone think I'd be disappointed with a new

Z170 board from them?

B) If so, in what regard.

I'm just trying to shave a few £ off a new build.

Many thanks for any feedback

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Shaving a few pounds off a motherboard purchase strikes me as a questionable idea..

I am also a loyal Asus customer and would not even think of trying to save few quid / bucks on the motherboard which is the base of your whole system..

OK folks, I know this is could be highly subjective, but I'd really value your views anyway.

I've been a dedicated, and highly impressed Asus user for many years. It's at least 15 years since I've had an MSI motherboard, and it gave me grief.

I believe MSI have now become a major player in the top end range of boards.

Basically, I have just one question, broken into two parts...

A) Does anyone think I'd be disappointed with a new

Z170 board from them?

B) If so, in what regard.

I'm just trying to shave a few £ off a new build.

Many thanks for any feedback

I have no experience of MSI boards. Always went for Asus.

What's your budget for a board Phil? There are great Asus Z170 boards at all price levels.

EVGA make some nice boards too, as to Gigabyte.

OK guys, between your comments I've changed my mind.  Its why i love this forum.  I was thinking to shave a few £ to allow for a better CPU. As Bert says though, what's the point having a great CPU on base that I'm not 100% confident with.

Much as I feel Asus are being just a little greedy with the massive price difference between the A board and the Deluxe, I'll 'probably' go the Deluxe route.  I've watched sooooooo many youtube vids that my eyes have gone square;-)

Like i said.... I value your opinions.

As I say, I have the Deluxe. Love it, great board. AiSuite is quite useful as Well. I like FanXpert 3.

As I say, I have the Deluxe. Love it, great board. AiSuite is quite useful as Well. I like FanXpert 3.

If you and I aren't careful Martin, people will start talking about me & thee;-)

Will it be ok to uninstall Corsair Link with Z170 board, and do it all with Asus AI ?

Oh no.... After all that research, I missed the huge fact that although at least an extra £100, or even twice the price in some stores, the Deluxe board does NOT have onboard video. Grrrrrr......  No, of course I don't use it for simming, but have needed it on numerous occasions when graphics cards have died.

Bah humbug back to the drawing board. Board???

Now checking out the z170 Pro Gaming model, but not many about.

I use Aisuite or the option in bios to tune the fans for AIO even the pump or Air cooling.

In my option the Corsair link and NZXT Cam is crap for tune the AIO cooler.

Onboard video , you have display port and Hdmi for the IGP

Always Gigabyte for me.  Found them to be the most reliable by a country mile.  I've had a few MSI boards, and most were ok.  I wouldn't have an asus if you paid me (based on personal experiences)

Oh no.... After all that research, I missed the huge fact that although at least an extra £100, or even twice the price in some stores, the Deluxe board does NOT have onboard video. Grrrrrr...... No, of course I don't use it for simming, but have needed it on numerous occasions when graphics cards have died.

Bah humbug back to the drawing board. Board???

Now checking out the z170 Pro Gaming model, but not many about.

As Hasse said Phil, the CPU has an onboard IGP(Integrated Graphics Processor). So no problem there. The Deluxe is capable of using the IGP like any board.

What's your budget.

Always Gigabyte for me.  Found them to be the most reliable by a country mile.  I've had a few MSI boards, and most were ok.  I wouldn't have an asus if you paid me (based on personal experiences)

I'm intrigued by that. Can you expand on it...  My experience has been the exact opposite. I've never had a faulty Asus board, but the last Gigabyte board I had (Pentium), although obviously of extremely high build quality, needed to be returned twice.  I got a refund in the end.  I'm not doubting you. Far from it. It's just a great example of how maybe one very bad experience clouds all future purchases.

It doesn't matter which motherboard manufacturer it is, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA... there will always be someone that states "I wouldn't have one if you paid me".

Those that have had issues with MSI would never again buy an MSI. Those that have had issues with Gigabyte would never again buy another Gigabyte.

It's a sample size of one. Human nature of course, once burnt twice shy.

The truth of the matter is that Asus have a good reputation for reliability. Asus support on the other hand could be objectively described as mediocre.

I've built something like 9 or 10 PC's by now, for myself, friends and relatives. Only ever had one motherboard issue. But of course, I am again, a sample size of one.

I'm intrigued by that. Can you expand on it...  My experience has been the exact opposite. I've never had a faulty Asus board, but the last Gigabyte board I had (Pentium), although obviously of extremely high build quality, needed to be returned twice.  I got a refund in the end.  I'm not doubting you. Far from it. It's just a great example of how maybe one very bad experience clouds all future purchases.

Yeh, I build PC's as a second income, and have done 100's down the years.  I've had at least half a dozen ASUS boards DOA, as well as a batch of boards fail in a few months (one year I built about 30 PC's between October and Xmas) and about 10 of these failed, all ASUS boards.  As Martin said, their support sucks big time.

I've used numerous brands, the odd MSI which have been ok (except one of the first Z68 boards that failed and took a 2600k with it - both replaced without issue by Scan incidentally).  Asrock are excellent for cheap machines.  I maintain though, i have never had even ONE Gigabyte board fail on me.  I have a customer who has a chain of bars who I supply office machines, and MP3/Spotify music servers to, so reliability is key.

According to the link below, last year Asus were independantly deemed to be the most reliable make...

https://www.techpowerup.com/218171/asus-motherboards-adjudged-as-having-the-industrys-most-reliable

Lowest return rate in the industry.

One of the issues we should consider is static. Some think that damage from static manifests itself with a big flash, or causes instant failure. Not true, static discharge is rarely seen and often causes issues weeks or even months down the line.

According to the link below, last year Asus were independantly deemed to be the most reliable make...

https://www.techpowerup.com/218171/asus-motherboards-adjudged-as-having-the-industrys-most-reliable

Lowest return rate in the industry.

One of the issues we should consider is static. Some think that damage from static manifests itself with a big flash, or causes instant failure. Not true, static discharge is rarely seen and often causes issues weeks or even months down the line.

Martin, what RAM are you running in your z170, and are you happy with it?

I had an ASUS ROG Hero VI board. Fairly high end gaming board. Huge issues with this board that were common globally and ASUS either could not or would not acknowledge or issue a fix for the problem. Just Google it. The issue was that the CMOS clock would reset, affecting both BIOS and Windows time. This would happen randomly and regularly and if flying anything PMDG, would cause a total and unrecoverable failure of all autopilot functions. Around the same time I had purchased two different but similar MSI Gaming boards for my kids and was so impressed by the ultra fast boot times and ease of setup and use and rock solid stability. Their UEFI BIOS is miles ahead of ASUS.

I will never purchase another ASUS mobo. Want a good premium board for P3D- look at the MSI X-Power Gaming Titanium which supports the Core i7 6700K and auto overclocks it with rock solid stability to 4.7GHz with literally one click. MSI has risen above the overrated ASUS a while back already. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1

Martin, what RAM are you running in your z170, and are you happy with it?

I'm running  GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz. GSkill did a great job with this RAM. They used top quality Samsung modules and specifically designed the Ripjaw V and Trident Z series for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

I had an ASUS ROG Hero VI board. Fairly high end gaming board. Huge issues with this board that were common globally and ASUS either could not or would not acknowledge or issue a fix for the problem. Just Google it. The issue was that the CMOS clock would reset, affecting both BIOS and Windows time. This would happen randomly and regularly and if flying anything PMDG, would cause a total and unrecoverable failure of all autopilot functions. Around the same time I had purchased two different but similar MSI Gaming boards for my kids and was so impressed by the ultra fast boot times and ease of setup and use and rock solid stability. Their UEFI BIOS is miles ahead of ASUS.

I will never purchase another ASUS mobo. Want a good premium board for P3D- look at the MSI X-Power Gaming Titanium which supports the Core i7 6700K and auto overclocks it with rock solid stability to 4.7GHz with literally one click. MSI has risen above the overrated ASUS a while back already. :) :) :)

Yep. I remember that issue. It didn't effect me, but I did have a friend who was affected. I recall they eventually manged to fix it with an update, but it was a big issue for a while.

And there you go... I've never had any issues with Asus boards so favour them. On the other hand you have, so you don't favour them. In neither case does it tell us anything.

I do understand how if you have had issues you would feel that way though.

I doubt there's any motherboard manufacturer that hasn't had tricky issues to fix from time to time. This is why the best way is to look at figures for returns.

I'm running  GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz. GSkill did a great job with this RAM. They used top quality Samsung modules and specifically designed the Ripjaw V and Trident Z series for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

Yep. I remember that issue. It didn't effect me, but I did have a friend who was affected. I recall they eventually manged to fix it with an update, but it was a big issue for a while.

And there you go... I've never had any issues with Asus boards so favour them. On the other hand you have, so you don't favour them. In neither case does it tell us anything.

I do understand how if you have had issues you would feel that way though.

I doubt there's any motherboard manufacturer that hasn't had tricky issues to fix from time to time. This is why the best way is to look at figures for returns.

Bummer!  Can't anyonme in uk carrying iy for immediate dispatch.  I may end up with Corsair Vengeance. Still very good RAM i think.

If you are planning on running SLI, stay away from EVGA. The PCI slots that support SLI/Crossfire are side by side unlike boards from other manufacturers in the same price range. I've built PC's with Asus (just replaced a Maximus VII/4790k combo) and never had an issue. Unfortunately, every board manufacturer has had some kind of issues. Just find the board with the right mix of features and pricing and go for it.

Thanks Chris.  I use to really like EVGA, but over recent years, they seem to have dropped the ball a couple of time.

I've just 'pulled the trigger' on:

Asus Z170 Deluxe

Intel i7 6700k

16Gb Corsair Platinum 3200Mhz DDR4 (15-15-15-36)

Arrives tomorrow;-)

Stayed with Corsair Martin, for two reasons....

1) I can get it tomorrow

2) I've got something going on with Corsair that just 'might' get something in the way of a 'freebie' from them;-)  I'll keep you posted on that....

Stayed with Corsair Martin, for two reasons....

1) I can get it tomorrow

2) I've got something going on with Corsair that just 'might' get something in the way of a 'freebie' from them;-)  I'll keep you posted on that....

Okay, very fancy light show with that Corsair RAM.  :smile:

I have Amazon Prime, so get most things next day.

Okay, very fancy light show with that Corsair RAM.  :smile:

I have Amazon Prime, so get most things next day.

Quite funny really, considering it'll not be seen where my case sits;-)  It was just the closest 2nd best to the Ripjaws I could find that will arrive by tmrw.  Tmrw being the only chance i'll have to build it for ages.  Just wish i could afford a nice GTX1070 or similar to in it.  Will have to make do with my 970 for some time to come:-(