Sign in to follow this  
joomie

What planes for X-Plane support GTN 650/750 VC integration?

Can this one or any other device from RealityXP get fully integrated into a virtual 3D cockpit in X-Plane?

I used Google for two hours now and find no description/ how to guide to estimate if I can do that.

I read that it is possible in the PilotEdge forum. But I've no clue, how difficult that would be.

My interest is to put such a device into the 3D cockpit of the Carenado SR22T aircraft.

Second question is how regular one can update the database for the tool and how much that cost?

Many thanks and cheers,

joomie

Does anyone have a list of which planes support these 2 units for direct virtual cockpit integration and not as a 2D pop-up panel?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Very interested in this answer myself, newly adopted xplane user here and cant do without my trusty gtn 750 from FSX. Its a perfect addition to my A2A GA aircraft.

Thomas Derbyshire

Support for direct 3D cockpit is included, provided you manually edit the RealityXP.GTN.INI file in your aircraft folder.

This gives you the means to literally tell the plugin where (pos + size) to 'paint' the gauge on the panel. You just need to type in the 3D panel coordinates and the GTN plugin will just paint it there.

Otherwise, it requires 3rd party vendors to model the GTN in 3D (polygons + texture). This gives you the integration in the 3D cockpit in full 3D.

Nevertheless, we are looking at alternative ways to support universal 3D cockpit integration but this will have to wait until after we release our new GNS WAAS simulation product.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks for the reply Jean-Luc, I'm particularly interested in which vendors have already modelled the unit in 3D so I don't have fiddle about editing files?  I've search extensively for vendors with full 3D integration but come up short so far.

Thomas Derbyshire

The product is brand new, and with XP11, I guess most vendors are really busy porting their aircraft to this new version first. Once settled, I 'm sure more aircraft will be pre-configured. What I'm sure is that the more vocal our customers are, the greater the chances!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

The product is brand new, and with XP11, I guess most vendors are really busy porting their aircraft to this new version first. Once settled, I 'm sure more aircraft will be pre-configured. What I'm sure is that the more vocal our customers are, the greater the chances!

Are there any more detailed information available for developers on what is needed for VC integration? Modelling the frame is not the problem, but how do we map the GTN panels onto the 3D object? And are there custom commands your GTN provides we need to map to the manipulators?

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Yes Mario the information is available!

First, you can see all the exported commands in the user's manual (p. 8) or explore them via the X-Plane 'commands' interface. As for the 'panel' it is also documented in the user's manual (p. 6).

Last but not least, the GTN also publishes custom datarefs for advanced/custom integration with custom HSI/NAV display. Also in the user's manual! (p. 9)

This shall get you covered, and if not, you can always contact RXP via the website!

Could you please give a little more detail in how to enable the 3D panel within the RealityXP.GTN.INI file? I've tried a few different variables such as adding the below entry at the bottom of the file, however I can't see the gauge overlayed within the VC.

[GTN_650_1.PANEL3D]
; display window if true.
visible = true
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D
frame.type = PANEL3D
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 0,0,678,285
; freeze display position if true.
frame.lock = false
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000

Cadmus Hawke

frame.rect = 0,0,678,285

You may find that this should be :-

frame.rect = 0,1024,678,285

As 0,0 is left.bottom of texture.

I have tried every combination of numbers and configurations, but maybe it just won't do what I think it should. Do I need to go into Planemaker to make adjustments, or should this be just a simple  add-in of the PANEL3D code?

Bluebell2, I saw your other post and related video. Did you have to go into Planemaker to make any adjustments or remove other instruments first? I even used your GTN.INI file (converting from 750 to 650), and it still doesn't show up anywhere in my 3D cockpit. Do I need to enable something within the plugin menu? The windowed mode works fine, but I just want to cover up/overlay the GNS 430 gauges.

Thanks!

Cadmus Hawke

Bluebell2, I saw your other post and related video. Did you have to go into Planemaker to make any adjustments or remove other instruments first? I even used your GTN.INI file (converting from 750 to 650), and it still doesn't show up anywhere in my 3D cockpit. Do I need to enable something within the plugin menu? The windowed mode works fine, but I just want to cover up/overlay the GNS 430 gauges.

It is not just a simple matter of editing the GTN.ini file.

First you need space on the cockpit_3d\-PANELS-\Panel.png texture for the GTN screen that does not overlap any other gauge. this is the reference to

; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)

frame.rect = 0,1024,678,285

You can use the position of the GNS430 but you then need to remove the old GNS430 or hide it.

You need to edit the Aircraftname_cockpit.obj file with Blender or AC3D to add the screen.

You also need to use Blender or AC3D to add the GTN650 3D object to right position in 3D cockpit.

Then Planemaker to add the GTN650.obj and adjust 3D panel.

Hard just to explain on a forum post, here is an example of adding GNS430/530.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/77414-how-to-add-the-new-arinc424-gns430530s-to-the-732/

Also.

HAPPY NEW YEAR,

TOM.

Thanks so much for the detailed information, Tom! Now I know what I'll be doing on my holiday today! :smile:

I'll report back on my progress. Happy New Year as well!

Cadmus Hawke

Success! Well...ignoring the old GNS 3D model in the stack, but the GTN 650 shines through! :smile:

YNE7jsB.jpg

Now all I need is a 3D model of a GTN 650, and we'll have a significant upgrade for this old bird. Thanks again for the tips, Tom!

Cadmus Hawke