Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

xEnviro: Pure magic, or to beautiful to be true?

I do like #10 and #11.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I think it was my second negative post related to it

Actually, it's your fourth over two threads, but who's counting? :smile:

• Upvote 3

NAX669.png

I don't have an agenda to diss this product

You mean as a developer of an addon whose job xEnviro incorporates in its features, and is recommended by the developers / vendor of SMP as a pairing for its competing product...?

• Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

VS is a little project I did in my spare time (initially just for myself), just to iron out some rough edges Laminar overlooked. I am affiliated with nobody and haven't made a single penny of it. I just contributed to our hobby. Yes I see what you're trying to do but I don't think my integrity as a X-Plane user has been compromised by that.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'm not questioning your integrity at all, I think your work is great and I'm grateful for your contribution to the community. If that's the impression my comment gave I apologise.

What I'm saying is, whether consciously or unconsciously, you're not a completely disinterested observer and your (sometimes aggressive) criticisms of xEnviro could be reflecting this.

• Upvote 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Guest Mik75

Because of all the contribution, the vivid community and the wonderful free- and donationware for X-Plane, one doesn't have to spend a fortune to make the sim look breathtakingly good!

That's a wonderful thing, and it makes it a bit easier to spend money on some releases, even if they seem to have a steep price.

In the case of xEnviro, it is worth every cent, in my opinion.

What I'm saying is, whether consciously or unconsciously, you're not a completely disinterested observer and your (sometimes aggressive) criticisms of xEnviro could be reflecting this.

That's probably true. I wouldn't rate clear or strong language as aggresive though. I'd be the first in line if they get these things right.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Guest Mik75

Come on guys, it's our hobby. I am quite passionate about it too. But at the end of the day, we do it for the pure enjoyment, right? And xEnviro enhances that enjoyment on every single flight significantally, so it is worth every cent in my opinion.

Come on guys, it's our hobby. I am quite passionate about it too. But at the end of the day, we do it for the pure enjoyment, right? And xEnviro enhances that enjoyment on every single flight significantally, so it is worth every cent in my opinion.

Well said Michael. I couldn't agree more. When you think of the thousands spent on addons we now have for free, to spend 70 USD on addon that actually brings universal joy to every flight, is not such a bad deal. I do agree that it is a steep price but on the other hand if you buy SMP, RWC, and FSGRW you will easily be at around the same price and with results that may not be what you expect. People are forgetting that xEnviro includes more than just graphical enhancement. 

And ironically if the product was 50 USD, I am sure no one would be complaining. Whilst on principle it bothered me for a while parting with 70 USD, in the end I was not going to hold off for the sake of a 20 dollar difference. Instead, this weekend I stayed in and didn't bother paying for overpriced drinks in a bar. I'd rather have xEnviro than a few pints of ale...lol. It's all relative but each to his own.

• Upvote 1

All nonsense talking bad about a brand new product, let the dust settle and talk about how good / bad it is after a few versions.

Though the first impression is always the best impressions.  But this is a new vendor you have to give them some time b4 going bonkers

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Guest Mik75

All nonsense talking bad about a brand new product, let the dust settle and talk about how good / bad it is after a few versions.

Though the first impression is always the best impressions.  But this is a new vendor you have to give them some time b4 going bonkers

That's totally true. But even if there wouldn't be any more improvement to the product (and man, I MISS my beloved cloud shadows), it would still be the most realistic weather depiction I've seen so far in X-Plane.

@Mik

They may know about the issues so i guess just wait for the updates. BTW how many clouds layers does it render ? Are there any NimbusCB's ?  Heck i don't understand much of the weather except that the NimbusCB is something to avoid.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Purchased xenviro last week... I found the x-plane default clouds to be a bit obnoxious and killed the realism found elsewhere for me. Plus, the haze and foggy air quality was a tad overdone for my taste. All that said, those are all things that I feel will improve over time as x-plane matures further. But my interest was peeked for anything that can improve in those areas now. So I gave xenviro a try.

Xenviro is great. It has addressed my pet peeves and more. It is not perfect as said by others, but for a version 1 product I feel it has a solid foundation to build on. The weather depiction with rain and snow and distant clouds etc etc... all are now in keeping with the standards raised in other aspects of this sim. So, so far so good.

The developer has committed to more enhancements and features, so the next update should be telling in this regard. Particularly I want see the up close rendering of clouds improved as well as more cloud definition (hello HD pack). So I look forward to what this team will do and wish them well.

• Upvote 3