Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Precipitation

Posted this question in another thread but figured I will post it in its separate thread as well for more people to see it.

I've recently started flying in VR using a pair of Oculus Rift VR glasses and today I experienced precipitation in form of snow for the first time and that wasn't a very nice experience honestly.

Both rain and especially snow have always been one of the weak points in our simulated reality as we all know and I guess one of the main reason being the excessive speed of the precipitation but also how the actual snowflakes and raindrops are modeled.

In VR all this was even more noticeable and so far I was only parked at the gate, can only imagine what it will be and feel like once airborne...

I have PrecipitFX installed which I think will help some.

What is everyone else's experience, did you find any other ways making it look better? For instance it would help some if there was a way to slow the precipitation down a bit.

Richard Åsberg

I think someone posted some shader changes (editing values in a file in the P3d shader folder I think it was) some time ago to make the precipitation effects less, well, as you described them. A search of the forum may help. The effects are just awful as they are.​ :smile: 

I think someone posted some shader changes (editing values in a file in the P3d shader folder I think it was) some time ago to make the precipitation effects less, well, as you described them. A search of the forum may help. The effects are just awful as they are.​ :smile:

Thanks, will see if I can find it.

Guess some caution might be needed though to not mess things up when you use both PrecipitFX as well as PTA.

I heard too many chefs cooking the same stew usually won't turn out good...

Richard Åsberg

Ok, good to know.

Any chance you guys could up with any further improvements when it comes to precipitation to make it look a bit more realistic?

Richard Åsberg

We are working on something but we have nothing to announce yet

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thanks Keven.

If you would be able to come up with something really good you would be lots of peoples heroes for sure!

Richard Åsberg

I posted this in another thread.  Most times rain is fairly invisible...kinda looks foggy except for, perhaps a tiny flash.  We look down at puddles where it impacts, at windows or at overhangs for clues to see if it's raining.  It's, generally, very subtle.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

where it impacts, at windows

In an aircraft this is a good indication!

FS9 simulated rain on windshields. FSX didn't natively. P3d follows FSX.

In my opinion aircraft developers that have gone to the trouble of adding the code, for rain on windshield, are to be commended.

Regards

David

Both rain and especially snow have always been one of the weak points in our simulated reality as we all know and I guess one of the main reason being the excessive speed of the precipitation but also how the actual snowflakes and raindrops are modeled.

ENVTEX offers new rain and snow effects as well, did you try them with Occulus glasses?

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

ENVTEX offers new rain and snow effects as well, did you try them with Occulus glasses?

I read about ENVTEX and also checked out some screenshots and it does seem to be an interesting package to a very compelling price looking at the contents with all new textures and effects you'll get.

However I've bought so many similar packages over the years I got a bit allergic to them so in this case I don't think I'll spend another $20 unless there is a video showing what the precipitation looks like compared to the default look.

Richard Åsberg