Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

What a nightmare!

well good for you ;)

I will let the absence of freeware ortho speak for itself. Not tomention the title of this thread ;)

peace

It's okay to admit you don't understand, we won't think any less of you. There is no absence of freeware ortho. I have terabytes of it. The problem is that providing pre-made freeware ortho for free is impossible. It takes many terabytes of server space which is not free and any such server will have massive traffic which again is not free to provide. As such the very elegant and easy alternative is Ortho4XP. 

The problem arises for those who are unlucky is that the source satellite imagery is not colour matched so they complain whilst not realising that firstly, there is no better imagery to be had and secondly there are no profits to be made by providing such a product, only losses.

It boils down to this, you can make your own if you are not too lazy or busy (I personally love the I'm too busy excuse) and if you don't then like the results then don't use it. Don't hold your breath that someone else will do it for you, it aint gonna happen.

It's okay to admit you don't understand, we won't think any less of you. There is no absence of freeware ortho. I have terabytes of it. The problem is that providing pre-made freeware ortho for free is impossible. It takes many terabytes of server space which is not free and any such server will have massive traffic which again is not free to provide. As such the very elegant and easy alternative is Ortho4XP. 

The problem arises for those who are unlucky is that the source satellite imagery is not colour matched so they complain whilst not realising that firstly, there is no better imagery to be had and secondly there are no profits to be made by providing such a product, only losses.

It boils down to this, you can make your own if you are not too lazy or busy (I personally love the I'm too busy excuse) and if you don't then like the results then don't use it. Don't hold your breath that someone else will do it for you, iyt aint gonna happen.

Ok.

Ps how did we go from opinions to ill concealed insults?

-Roland

Ok.

Ps how did we go from opinions to ill concealed insults?

Your previous posts made it abundantly clear that you didn't quite get it. I explained.

I imagine you are old enough now to not really be insulted, don't fall into the trap of feigning insult that is all too common a feature of discourse on the internet.

I don't know if I did something wrong, but the photo scenery I downloaded seems blurrier than the default XP 10 final.

Any ideas?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I don't know if I did something wrong, but the photo scenery I downloaded seems blurrier than the default XP 10 final.

Any ideas?

The scenery from zonephoto is of very poor resolution, ZL16, which will only look acceptable from altitude. I use ZL 18 which takes a lot of drive space but is far better when low.

The scenery from zonephoto is of very poor resolution, ZL16, which will only look acceptable from altitude. I use ZL 18 which takes a lot of drive space but is far better when low.

That's what I thought. TKS

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

ZL17 is quite a good compromise I think. ZL18 is of course much nicer but then one tile is about 20GB and on my machine the creation takes 2-3 hours, depending on the data source. 

Hans

Jeroen, name me a tile you tried and which turned out horrible and I am happy to replicate it for you. Sometimes it's a little thing that spoils the result.

Well, for instance the tiles I made for Norway, north of Bergen (with Google as source, I think): all snow on the mountains ended up with red and green in it and the while itself was light yellow. Didn't look too good. ;) I have read somewhere there is a better source for Norway but I don't know which one it is. I downloaded a few tiles of GB from that fr site this afternoon (got Java working) but everything looked a bit too purple. Also there was too little autogen on it (using GB Pro) and it looked too much like obvious photoreal (flat parts). All in all I like default scenery more... Then again, I also tried MisterX KSFO this afternoon, which comes with a lot of photoreal, and that looked pretty nice.

I think one of my problems is that I like things to be a bit of equal quality but with freeware that simply is impossible. Whatever you do, some things end up awesome while other ends up er... not so awesome.

EDIT

I found a site (just now) which seems to have very good scenery of Norway and has consistent (great looking) colors too (if you zoom in all the way). However, I don't know if you can add a new source to Orthho4XP....?

EDIT 2

Never mind, the source isn't that good at all. I accidental looked a a good part of the map: other parts suck.

I am concerned about loading with zoom l17 when I get it done, it takes about 18 min a tile for me, I am up to a 120 tiles of about 320 tiles, that doesn't include Alaska, just the lower 48 states.because of the way the tiles are situated i am getting small pieces of Mexico and Canada.

Your previous posts made it abundantly clear that you didn't quite get it. I explained.

I imagine you are old enough now to not really be insulted, don't fall into the trap of feigning insult that is all too common a feature of discourse on the internet.

There is no stopping you eh? Can i call bingo at 3 insults?

Touchy subject i guess.

-Roland

north of Bergen

I'll try one over dinner...

Hans

What about a utility to download, I use Download Accelerator Plus.

\Robert Hamlich/

What about a utility to download, I use Download Accelerator Plus.

The site he is trying to download from doesn't support download managers. It uses Java to prevent just that.

I'll try one over dinner...

TIA ;)

Please let me know which source you used and what settings you changed from the default. So far I worked with default settings but only (sometimes) changed some sort of mask setting to 32 and I have to turn of an option that has to do with checking white... things... (can't check it right now). I also used the batch option because it starts creating stuff with one click: without batch you manually have to start at least three different steps for each tile.

There is no stopping you eh? Can i call bingo at 3 insults?

Touchy subject i guess.

It seems you and I are unlikely to see eye to eye on the nature of insult, touchy indeed. Yes you can call bingo at any point at all, of course it will be completely redundant but you are free to do so.

As others have mentioned, the massive cost of hosting photo sceneries is an issue. If you are able to host with good speeds and uptime.. sure, go ahead. Previous offerings have shut down because hosting freeware is, in the end, hardly worth it for the host. Doubly so when the files in questions are terrabytes worth of data.

Another issue with sharing may be licensing depending on the provider it was taken from.

Any ideas?

For the zone photo files, this may also depend on the tile, its source and when it was made. Some tiles are also quite new (see parts of Norway) that have good quality, despite only being ZL16.