Sign in to follow this  
hu_willy

Printable FCOM & QRH?

Can PMDG release printable FCOM & QRH for the new Queen? 

I remember that PMDG provided printable FCOM & QRH for NGX & 777X. I would be nice if the same thing can also be provided for the Queen. 

Thanks. 

They are just PDF files that can be easily printed.  Look in your PMDG folder under 747 for flight manuals folder.  Should have been installed automatically.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

They are just PDF files that can be easily printed.  Look in your PMDG folder under 747 for flight manuals folder.  Should have been installed automatically.

I have experience with 777X and NGX before so I know where to find them.

It's just that the ones provided right now are not printable because they are official manuals directly from Boeing instead of PMDG custom-made ones.

The official ones are password protected and cannot be printed or even copied, while PMDG custom ones in the cases of NGX and 777 can be printed because they removed the protection. 

Both the 777 and the 747 have secured pdf files, unprintable.  The reason is simple, the information is licensed by Boeing to PMDG for distribution with the product only. No other distribution is allowed.

Dan Downs KCRP

Both the 777 and the 747 have secured pdf files, unprintable.  The reason is simple, the information is licensed by Boeing to PMDG for distribution with the product only. No other distribution is allowed.

I may have made a mistake on the 777 documents, but a physical copy of PMDG 737NGX FCOM, printed by myself, is still sitting on my shelf.. So I still do not get why the same thing is not allow on the 747.... 

Different license with Boeing.

Let me put it this way..., PMDG could have reached a commercial agree with Boeing to let you print their FCOM but you couldn't afford it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Different license with Boeing.

Let me put it this way..., PMDG could have reached a commercial agree with Boeing to let you print their FCOM but you couldn't afford it.

I totally understand what you are saying but I still think the unavailability of printable manuals on 747, considering that it is much more expensive than NGX (very worthy though), is a little disappointing. 

I would love to hear from PMDG themselves regarding their decision on this matter. 

My solution for that problem is that I copied the files to my Dropbox then added them to MyBooks in my iPad. It works great and it also saves you in wasting paper and ink in your printer.

Just my two cents! :-)

Pablo Vazquez - Flight Attendant - Major US Airline

(P3D v4.3, PMDG 744v3, PMDG 748, PMDG 777, PMDG 737 NGX, QualityWings 787, Captain Sim 757, Aerosoft Airbus Professional and FSLabs A320x)

1hxz6d.jpg

I totally understand what you are saying but I still think the unavailability of printable manuals on 747, considering that it is much more expensive than NGX (very worthy though), is a little disappointing. 

I would love to hear from PMDG themselves regarding their decision on this matter.

I don't think you understand what Dan said. IF, that is IF, Boeing did let PMDG distribute printable copies, the final cost of the product would likely go through the roof. It seems to be all about licensing, and couldyou imagine the uproar if theproduct cost 2x, 3x or 10x its current price?

However, I may be wrong and there may be other factors at play.

David Porrett

I don't think you understand what Dan said. IF, that is IF, Boeing did let PMDG distribute printable copies, the final cost of the product would likely go through the roof. It seems to be all about licensing, and couldyou imagine the uproar if theproduct cost 2x, 3x or 10x its current price?

However, I may be wrong and there may be other factors at play.

All of my opinions on this matter is all based on the fact that NGX had printable copies (with PMDG logos on it in fact), so that the possibility of having an actual uproar in price just because of printable copies is just not that realistic. 

Hello,

it's not up to PMDG to make a decicion on that I think.

Page 2 of the FCOM (Boeing, forgive me to copy this sentence):

"The right to reproduce, destribute, display, and make derivative works from this document, or any portion thereof, requires a license from Boeing."

Well, printing it would require a license, simple as that.. Copyright laws are... weird.

But if, in the future, you ever find yourself in a situation where you do have the rights to print a PDF but the copy you have has restrictions enabled, a Google search along the lines of "remove print restriction from PDF" might help you out.

But if, in the future, you ever find yourself in a situation where you do have the rights to print a PDF but the copy you have has restrictions enabled, a Google search along the lines of "remove print restriction from PDF" might help you out.

This kind of disregard for copyright laws will get you banned from the forum. Be careful.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for those helpful forum members that pointed out alternative ways to print the document. I will consider those options using my own judgement. 

Again, I stress that I am little disappointed on this matter, as there has been past cases (NGX) where users are allowed to print the manuals (don't know if it was legal but at least PMDG did give the permission to print on the PDF), which rules out the cost of licensing as an obstacle IMO. 

Since this is really a minor issue on an amazing airplane, I will rest my case and go fly that magnificent piece of machine on a short haul again. Meanwhile, I would still love to hear PMDG official response on this matter. 

Yes, I wanted to print the checklists/procedures from the FCOM in order to meticulously learn the aircraft and take the startup and flight step by step. I do have the FCOM on my iPad but a printed copy where I could make notes would be nice. Oh well, I understand. BTW, what an outstanding product!