Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Is it me or have new water effects been added in XP11 pb10?

Went for a quick fly out of Liverpool this evening and I suddenly noticed the water was completely different. It was quite windy and I noticed there were white caps, waves rolling into shore and the sun was sparking off the wave tops. I haven't been on the pop honest. I have taken pics but don't have time to post them right now but I will do. Has anyone else noticed or is this old news? They are certainly not perfect but it shows a lot of promise.

cheers

Peter

Went for a quick fly out of Liverpool this evening and I suddenly noticed the water was completely different. It was quite windy and I noticed there were white caps, waves rolling into shore and the sun was sparking off the wave tops. I haven't been on the pop honest. I have taken pics but don't have time to post them right now but I will do. Has anyone else noticed or is this old news? They are certainly not perfect but it shows a lot of promise.

cheers

Peter

You know, if it isn't brought to our attention from the get go, it's easy to overlook.  I took a flight on the left coast of the US yesterday, admiring the view from the air of the coastline, but never once bothered to check something like that out.  Now that you brought it up, I'll have to look for it! :)

So did the wave animation look similar to the FSX/P3D or did it have a unique quality to it?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Well when you consider what it would take to randomize wave action, it's about as complicated as trying to produce realistic weather, too many parameters and algorithms which would lead to bogged down systems.  I saw your screenshots and I would agree that there is too much of a pattern, though I don't typically look at the water much...too busy staying in control of the aircraft. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I wish they would make it like the water in Combat Air Patrol 2

Hi Peter, yep it's been in there since beta 1. The waves appear based on the weather settings, but I honestly turn it off because it looks really horrible, like a huge repeating texture. I hope they find a way round it in a future release because the effect is even worse than the sky banding.

I agree, missing the XP10 water if this is gonna stay this way for long. How can you turn it off Tony?

You just go into the weather settings and turn down the wave size to 0, and it becomes a bit better again.

Hi Peter, yep it's been in there since beta 1. The waves appear based on the weather settings, but I honestly turn it off because it looks really horrible, like a huge repeating texture. I hope they find a way round it in a future release because the effect is even worse than the sky banding.

Hi Tony - okay didn't realise. Knew Ben S was experimenting but hadn't realised he had included anything in the beta. Preferred XP10 water as the matrix effect is there with or without waves. But hopefully we will eventually get something reasonable. Andreas (Alpilotx) siad he is working on something but made no promises (e.g. Tropical water effects). Had Xenviro in control hence it must have bumped up the waves due to the wind. Agree it's nowhere near ready for release. Xenviro does help with the sky banding but not fully and also depends on time of day and which direction one is pointing in. Ben has it on his fix list.

Cheers

Peter

Would be great to have that water in X-Plane.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I agree, but it's not as easy as just showing cool wave action.

Remember we have float planes and amphibian planes in the sim. That means we either need a way to artificially flatten the water (i.e. split it off from any wind-generated wave height), or else we need realistic modeling of geographic barriers, so protected bays have smoother water than offshore waters for takeoffs and landings. That would be ideal, but maybe asking a lot of the terrain + water modeling.

Back in XP10 it was possible to force-flatten the wave height with a plugin. The payware Goose models came with that. But I think that stopped working some time during the XP10 updates. As it stands now, there's a bug in the XP11 betas that's causing a crash with water landings. I don't think that's been fixed yet.

So, yeah.... let's hope for better water effects. But they have to be done in a way that still allows seaplane/amphibian ops under real-world conditions.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

LR is already working on a model, however, it will be a while before we see it in the sim.

http://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo