Sign in to follow this  
aktorsyl

Wing flex in P3D

Hi guys,

I've always had both P3D and X-Plane, but mostly prefer P3D because of the PMDG products. However, one thing that I've noticed over time is that the wing flex in X-Plane looks very realistic compared to P3D (a smooth "wobble", so to speak, whereas in P3D it's a slower/more clunky animation). Is this just a limitation of P3D, or has someone figured out a way to smooth it out a bit and have it animate more realistically?

For reference, here's a comparison:

P3d: 

X-plane:

Regards,

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

I don't fly tubes but from what I've read, P3D wing flex must be animated in to the plane. It's not a natural behavior based on forces acting upon the wing. Who knows, maybe this will change in a future update.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to be looking forward? :laugh:

Ah, pity :-/ Was afraid it might be something like that.

And looking out the front window while landing? Psshh. Bruce Willis would not approve. :biggrin:

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

From what I see in P3d and FSX it's like the wing flex animation is running around 20 fps so regardless of the sim FPS it's locked at 20fps.  I would imagine it would be a settings in the aircraft config.

--Sean Hart

Hm, interesting. However, not a setting that I could find.

Storm over Dubai ? :uwe_melk_sblh:

Can't be sure but I think I saw some better wing animation in P3D. Gliders perhaps ?

read somewhere the developers sometimes minimize animation steps or something in the model to optimize performance in fsx/p3d which makes a tradeoff against fluid movements.

I think the difference here is because of how FSX/P3D and X-Plane do the aircraft modelling. While FSX/P3D is a "numbers" modelling (as in Aircraft doesn't really interact with the simulation), X-Plane is based on "real" wind forces and airfoil modelling. With the latter, I guess, one can much better simulate wingflex, since the simulation actually "knows" how the wind moves. It might be lower FPS, but still the wind actually moves the wing, which makes it look more realistic.