Recommended Posts

Hi. I have searched everywhere and tried multiple settings around the forum and i cannot get rid of stutters. I am running a 4k monitor with the ability to use 30hz but that wasn't smooth for me. I have tried combinations of 1/2 refresh rate and Vsync on and external FPS limiter(Rivatuner and Nvidia Inspector).  When i tried these settings i was using a default P3D.cfg so no tweaks. I have the Prefer Maximum Performance so no need to suggest that common fix. I also have tried Fiber Frame fixes and affinity masks tweaks and those also do not help.  Can anyone help me give up to date settings or settings that could help me?

 

System Specs 

P3D 3.4.18.19475

Intel i5 6600k OC 4.8 GHz

12 GB DDR4 2400 mhz 

1 TB HGST HHD

250 GB Patriot Spark SSD

480 GB Kingston SSD

Asus 1060 GTX Turbo OC

1 4k Samsung 60hz 27 inch

 

Rason L. Bryant 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In Nvidia control panel or Nvidia Inspector set Pre-Rendered frames = 1 and give it a go.

That fixed my stutters.  Although I wasn't running 4k

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, franjoflyer said:

In Nvidia control panel or Nvidia Inspector set Pre-Rendered frames = 1 and give it a go.

That fixed my stutters.  Although I wasn't running 4k

I have that already set. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, nosar77 said:

I have that already set. 

I know you mention you have a stock P3D.cfg file, but have you tried to delete it and have P3D try to recreate it upon start up?

Share this post


Link to post

Have you tried shutting down as many add ons as  you can? 

 

Share this post


Link to post

only addons active sky next and GSX/Couatl/AddonManager

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, nosar77 said:

only addons active sky next and GSX/Couatl/AddonManager

The AS16 next to last version caused stutters for me. Once I installed. 6255, stutters instantly were cured. 

Share this post


Link to post

What are you running for scenery?

Share this post


Link to post

Follow Rob's P3D guide to have a starting point..

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure this will help in your case as you do not mention AI traffic but what cured my system 100% is getting rid of UT2, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post

My system was plagued by micro-stutters and frame rates that I thought were too low for my specs.

Like you I tried all the common cfg tweaks and affinity masks. I finally got the best performance and 50% higher frames, by eliminating all tweaks, turning off VSYNC, setting frames to unlimited and turning off cloud shadows. All other settings are medium-high to ultra. Your results may vary. Keeping frames locked internally at 30 was okay in less intense areas, great actually, but suffered in ORBX regions around payware airports.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, GSalden said:

Follow Rob's P3D guide to have a starting point..

I second that recommendation.  Following Rob's guide and locking frames at 27 cured the micro stutters for me, but I am not running 4K (just 1080P).

Cheers,

Gerald

Share this post


Link to post

Turn off Nvidia ShaderCache in the Global Settings or Prepar3d Profile.  I have ShaderCache disabled in Global settings

 

And I also use 4K monitors + VR.  I am not seeing stutters.  I do control MyTraffic 6a AI with FSUIPC and all my addons are P3Dv3 compatible.  No FSX only addons are installed

Share this post


Link to post

What kind of AA settings are you using?  4xSGSS causes my system to stutter when cloud cover increases, for example.

Try running Task Manager together with P3D--set it up to always be on top, and watch the CPU load graphs on the performance tab.  Watch those graphs while flying...I find that keeping the CPUs below 100% is paramount to smoothness, and stutters do occur when any CPU cores spike up to 100%.  I also watch GPU load on the display of my Logitech G13 gamepad (via eVGA's Precision X utility), and graphics settings that push my GPUs to >90% also can cause stutters.  Watching loads in real time really helps understand how the system load works over time and with different settings. 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post

I have a similar setup to yours and run a 30 Hz 4K TV with very good results have a look at the spreadsheet in the link below.

I have included all of Rob's comparative settings as well as mine and it hi-lites the various hitters to CPU, GPU, and both. If you run task manager and monitor CPU performance as well as GPU-Z to monitor GPU loading it may point you to a potential adjustment to settings.

Additionally I load all my add-ons that are not networked in to a single core (identified by task manager performance monitoring as the least loaded, mine is the 2nd core) and P3D to all cores with high priority using Simstarter NG.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wum2no6ku6krcmm/P3D-AS16-ASCA Settings Chart.xlsx?dl=0

Good Luck

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

Im going to try and reinstall windows and reset my overclocking settings and start fresh. i cannot get rid of the stutters. do you guys think that switching to the 1070 or 1080 would make any difference . or upgrading my CPU from my i5-6600k. its frustrating. and AA is turned off on. also for anyone asking about Vsync when its turned off i get tearing. even with P3D settings turned low and the FPS counter is over 60 FPS . i get tearing and/or micro stutters. 

Share this post


Link to post

Getting a gtx 1080 will not cure your stutters,,didn't cure mine. Stutter is textures loading so reduce textures or scenery.

Share this post


Link to post

The biggest cause of stutters in my own system is running a lot of OrbX scenery. There's always a pause when loading in custom objects (buildings, bridges, stadiums, etc.) In some areas like the LA basin it can pause for several *seconds* when getting into LOD range of areas heavily populated with these objects.

Share this post


Link to post

I just had the same problems with P3D. Before completely uninstalling, did you delete the cfg and shaders and had them rebuild?

I also followed this guys suggestion, but only did points 1 and 4, basically an OC to 4.5 and an AM of 241.

This however didn't solve my problems and I followed the suggestions in this post: No cloud shadows, no traffic.

I also deselected all choices in FTX vector. (I could have uninstalled it, but like to keep it for the coastlines)

In the end I applied max prerendered frames= 1 in the NVC.

The latter or the combination did it to me. I am now running a pretty smooth sim at least during the cruise phase. (Most sliders mid to 3/4, frames unlimited no NVI, on a i7 6700k and GTX1070)

Getting near airports with heavy scenery in a major add-on will always be a struggle. I hope we get better (=smoother) performance and better use of modern PC's in V4.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

EDIT: Still not quite happy! Every 5-20" there is a stutter, mostly visible in spot or flyby view when observing the clouds. Is this when P3D unloads some scenery to reduce VAS?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, nosar77 said:

Im going to try and reinstall windows and reset my overclocking settings and start fresh. i cannot get rid of the stutters. do you guys think that switching to the 1070 or 1080 would make any difference . or upgrading my CPU from my i5-6600k. its frustrating. and AA is turned off on. also for anyone asking about Vsync when its turned off i get tearing. even with P3D settings turned low and the FPS counter is over 60 FPS . i get tearing and/or micro stutters. 

You've got ample CPU/GPU processing power to manage P3D, but you must make adjustments to insure you're never overtaxing either side.   Query SteveW here and ask him recommend to you the best Affinity Mask for your 6600K.  I'm sure others here could use his logic and come up with the right one.   After this is established, assign your add-ons to cores not utilized by P3D.  Monitor GPU load and back off as needed any sliders affecting load on the GPU to insure you are nowhere close to 100% fully loaded.  

Presumably you're running hyper-threaded?   If so, then try AM value of 82:  01 01 01 00.  Try assigning add-ons to the first two logical processors leaving the last 6 for P3D.  SteveW may come in and improve on this ;o)

I have found Nirvana w/ ultra-smooth, I mean absolute perfect smoothness, since finding the correct AM, running unlimited frames w/ 30mHz monitor refresh VSYNCed.  Now the caveat to this is:  if the CPU is unable to maintain at least 30fps, then substantial stuttering will ensue immediately after seeing frames dip below 30.   When this occurs, it's my clue to reduce those highly CPU-dependent sliders as needed, PLUS, change the monitor back to 60Hz refresh.   Seems counterintuitive but even w/ unlimited frames when I set the the screen refresh back to 60Hz when at 30Hz I was starting to see frames at say 29fps often the frame count goes to well over 30 and it's smooth, but not truly perfectly smooth as it is when I can maintain frames at 30 w/ refresh at 30, even when frames are back up well over 30.

When conditions are severe enough you of course need to back off big time on certain sliders.   You're flying into a very complex scenery in a PMDG product w/ sliders hard right ready to land at a 3rd party complex terminal.   My system is now 5y/o and delivers incredibly perfect performance in most all scenarios I'm flying in, and on occasion I have to dial back scenery sliders, sometimes significantly, to make a very smooth landing.   But that's fine I'm not looking so much at scenery prior to touchdown.  I fly PMDG 737/777 and Majestic Dash 8 mostly all in FTX Regional Sceneries, NCA, SCA, PNW, in and out of FSDT airports.  If you don't like to stop and adjust once or twice on a flight plan, then you choose settings that will get you thru an entire flight but of course sacrifice some eye candy for this convenience.

Share this post


Link to post

So with a friend i worked out a couple of things but not sure if a combination of these fixed the problem or Placebo effect. Anyway i was running my 4k monitor on Display Port so he told me to switch to HDMI. (which i don't know if it had any affect, as far as i know DP is the best for gaming at 4k.) Next i reset my Nvidia Settings to default inside Nvidia Control Panel. Then i turned  Vsync off . Then inside P3D i turned on Vsync and Triple Buffering. That somehow did the trick. But i also reset my P3D.cfg just to make sure. I also figured out what caused my stutters or FPS instability. Even with P3D shadows on the lowest setting my GPU cannot handle it so i believe that my GPU cannot handle P3D shadows on 4k. at 1080p it was fine but now that im on 4k my 1060 Struggles and stays at 99% usage the entire time. so im going to consider picking up a 1080 or a 1070 to see if that will help or wait to get the 1080TI. Thank you everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Noel said:

You've got ample CPU/GPU processing power to manage P3D, but you must make adjustments to insure you're never overtaxing either side.   Query SteveW here and ask him recommend to you the best Affinity Mask for your 6600K.  I'm sure others here could use his logic and come up with the right one.   After this is established, assign your add-ons to cores not utilized by P3D.  Monitor GPU load and back off as needed any sliders affecting load on the GPU to insure you are nowhere close to 100% fully loaded.  

Presumably you're running hyper-threaded?   If so, then try AM value of 82:  01 01 01 00.  Try assigning add-ons to the first two logical processors leaving the last 6 for P3D.  SteveW may come in and improve on this ;o)

I have found Nirvana w/ ultra-smooth, I mean absolute perfect smoothness, since finding the correct AM, running unlimited frames w/ 30mHz monitor refresh VSYNCed.  Now the caveat to this is:  if the CPU is unable to maintain at least 30fps, then substantial stuttering will ensue immediately after seeing frames dip below 30.   When this occurs, it's my clue to reduce those highly CPU-dependent sliders as needed, PLUS, change the monitor back to 60Hz refresh.   Seems counterintuitive but even w/ unlimited frames when I set the the screen refresh back to 60Hz when at 30Hz I was starting to see frames at say 29fps often the frame count goes to well over 30 and it's smooth, but not truly perfectly smooth as it is when I can maintain frames at 30 w/ refresh at 30, even when frames are back up well over 30.

When conditions are severe enough you of course need to back off big time on certain sliders.   You're flying into a very complex scenery in a PMDG product w/ sliders hard right ready to land at a 3rd party complex terminal.   My system is now 5y/o and delivers incredibly perfect performance in most all scenarios I'm flying in, and on occasion I have to dial back scenery sliders, sometimes significantly, to make a very smooth landing.   But that's fine I'm not looking so much at scenery prior to touchdown.  I fly PMDG 737/777 and Majestic Dash 8 mostly all in FTX Regional Sceneries, NCA, SCA, PNW, in and out of FSDT airports.  If you don't like to stop and adjust once or twice on a flight plan, then you choose settings that will get you thru an entire flight but of course sacrifice some eye candy for this convenience.

AM at 82 seemed to help increase overall smoothness but i figured out what was causing it. Thanks A lot! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now