ArzaanK

Cockpit noises disappear on long flights

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

When I do long flights, I usually like to turn off the sound in the sim when I get to cruise (by pressing "Q") so that I can check on my flight and not have the noise of the engines fill my headphones suddenly when I switch back into the sim. I have noticed that when I do this for a long time (usually on flights of 4+ hours), the cockpit noises are gone when I turn the sound back on. That is, in the cockpit, I can still hear the engines, but can't hear any of the noises such as the flap handle moving, the autopilot disconnect alarm, callouts etc. In the external views, all the noises work just fine. 

I have had this issue with both the 777 (in FSX:SE) and the 747 (in P3D v3). I have also checked all of the sound settings in the sim and in the FMC to ensure that all playback devices are setup correctly. I've never had the issue when I've kept the sound on for the whole flight.

Does anyone know of a fix for this slight issue, or why the issue is happening at all? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

6 hours ago, ArzaanK said:

Hi everyone, 

When I do long flights, I usually like to turn off the sound in the sim when I get to cruise (by pressing "Q") so that I can check on my flight and not have the noise of the engines fill my headphones suddenly when I switch back into the sim. I have noticed that when I do this for a long time (usually on flights of 4+ hours), the cockpit noises are gone when I turn the sound back on. That is, in the cockpit, I can still hear the engines, but can't hear any of the noises such as the flap handle moving, the autopilot disconnect alarm, callouts etc. In the external views, all the noises work just fine. 

I have had this issue with both the 777 (in FSX:SE) and the 747 (in P3D v3). I have also checked all of the sound settings in the sim and in the FMC to ensure that all playback devices are setup correctly. I've never had the issue when I've kept the sound on for the whole flight.

Does anyone know of a fix for this slight issue, or why the issue is happening at all? 

 

I know this sounds stupid but if you go into the FSX menus, go to sound and check that all sounds are playing and some aren't at zero volume.  This has happened to me in P3D with engines sounds disappearing which drove me insane!  :)

I hope It helps!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually have this problem because my cable and PC are on the same TV. So i switch back and forth between HDMI inputs.

I think this throws off the PMDG sound source for me. What I do is go into PMDG Setup > Sounds in the FMC. You will

notice that the sound source is probably blank. Now this for me is the tricky part. The sound source you use will not be in the

list most probably. Don't know how easy it is for you. I have gotten it back to work 99% of the time by doing combinations of various things.

- Installing a headset, setting that as the source. After a while you will again see the speakers as source and I select them.

- Unplugging and re plugging my TV is another trick I use. That will sometimes get the source back in the FMC as well.

- Selecting anything else and recycling it back to the original.

Because I don't know the source of the problem, I end up trying things. But I always get it back. Try doing these things and

see if it helps.

 

Cheers,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, try cycling the "Q" key - sound on/off.

Cheers,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Also, try cycling the "Q" key - sound on/off.

Cheers,

I agree, I tend to press the "Q" key every so often. This usually solves my issue. This happens with non-PMDG products as well, most likely a FSX\P3D issue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tino said:

I agree, I tend to press the "Q" key every so often. This usually solves my issue. This happens with non-PMDG products as well, most likely a FSX\P3D issue.

Thanks, I'll try cycling Q a few times during my long flights to stop the issue. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have encoutered this problem multiple times too, with the NGX, T7 & the 747. Though I don't have a solution for the 747, I do want to share thoughts.

With the NGX and the T7, I am able to solve the issue by selecting another sound device in the FMS (MENU->PMDG SETUP->OPTIONS->SOUNDS->DEVICE) and execute. Then reselect the original sound device again. This restores all cockpit sounds in the NGX and the T7. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in the 747 so far.

 

Regards

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now