Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Ryzen Performance Increase - Beating Intel in Games!

32 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Well of course, I wasn't talking about flight sim. Quite frankly I care little for flight sim these days. It's not even on my system. 

Maybe you should look for another forum... :cool:

• Upvote 1

Bert

15 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Maybe you should look for another forum... :cool:

I'm sorry Bert, I don't loose my temper often but that was very rude, an unnecessary comment. I think you owe me an apology.

I am, and have been, a moderator over at Just Flight for many years and also contributed here regarding flight sim for many years. I may not have the sim on my system at present, with no plans to install in the short term but I will probably do so again in the future. 

Thus, if the experience I have, regarding the sim, or regarding "hardware"on this "hardware" sub forum is of possible value I will contribute. I have received a number of PM's thanking me for advice, so I will continue to do so.

In addition, I have found the advice I have received here on this "hardware" sub forum, from knowledgeable individuals like Westman, and Max, of great value to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I'm sorry Bert, I don't loose my temper often but that was very rude, an unnecessary comment. I think you owe me an apology.

I am, and have been, a moderator over at Just Flight for many years and also contributed here regarding flight sim for many years. I may not have the sim on my system at present, with no plans to install in the short term but I will probably do so again in the future. 

Thus, if the experience I have, regarding the sim, or regarding "hardware"on this "hardware" sub forum is of possible value I will contribute. I have received a number of PM's thanking me for advice, so I will continue to do so.

In addition, I have found the advice I have received here on this "hardware" sub forum, from knowledgeable individuals like Westman, and Max, of great value to me.

Sorry, did not mean to be rude, but you clearly indicated that you had  "lost interest in flightsims"..  Apologies offered.

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Sorry, did not mean to be rude, but you clearly indicated that you had  "lost interest in flightsims"..  Apologies offered.

Lost interest in flight sim or not, the knowledge I have hasn't suddenly disappeared. And as I said, this "hardware" sub forum has been a valuable resource for me and  I have been able to help others. 

I'm never sure if an apology that includes "but" is an apology or not, I prefer unreserved apologies, but I accept your apology anyway.

• Upvote 1

I also want to say that Martin's support is really helpful in this forum. Flight Simulators as we know require a good system and Martin both in forums and private messages has given me valuable advises and help solve problems. :)

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

On 4/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, JimmiG said:

Youtube videos should be taken with a bucket of salt. They don't have the resources of proper, professional sites to analyze and check their data for errors. They also tend to be very sensationalist, because they get paid by the views.

JimmiG, I disagree with the "bucket of salt." Salt is expensive now a days. :uwe_merm:

On 4/3/2017 at 4:29 PM, JimmiG said:

Well, I do happen to own a Ryzen 1800X system, and having followed the "scene" and tried all the proposed "fixes", I have come to accept that there is no "miracle cure" for Ryzen's gaming performance. It is what it is. Excellent, but slightly lagging behind Intel. Doesn't mean something is broken and needs "fixing".

BIOS updates, Windows patches and game updates might fix isolated bottlenecks and improve performance in a few specific cases/games, but you can't just apply a patch or BIOS update and get +30% across the board (as the video clearly shows). That would have had to mean AMD released Ryzen with a known, serious design flaw causing a 30% performance deficit. I think the engineers at AMD are better than that.

I hope one day we get a really good chip for our sim.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:49 AM, martin-w said:

Well of course, I wasn't talking about flight sim. Quite frankly I care little for flight sim these days. It's not even on my system. 

Wow, I wasn't expecting this; you really surprised me. With almost 4,000 posts, I was thinking you're a hard-core simmer. 

4 hours ago, joemiller said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting this; you really surprised me. With almost 4,000 posts, I was thinking you're a hard-core simmer. 

I was a hard core simmer Joe. Up until a few months ago. Hence why I have nearly 4000 posts here, and moderate at JF with 26,668 posts. I've also written product reviews and done a limited amount of beta testing.

Lost interest a few months ago after I built my current rig. Probably wont be permanent, see it as a sabbatical, could be brief, could be protracted. Nobody knows.

My first sim was on the Sinclair ZX81, so I'm sure you're aware of how long ago that as. After all these years simming it's not so much of a challenge anymore and a bit boring. As I say, sabbatical probably won't last. 

My current simming is in a Python with three large plasma accelerators and two gimballed beams. :biggrin: Elite Dangerous Horizons.

Martin, just wanted to say also that I have always paid great respect to your comments and views so I am grateful for you being around here on the forum.

Personally I haven't been flying for almost a year now, unfortunately not IRL either. But yesterday I fired up for the first time my new rig, an Asus Z270 Mark 1, i7-7700K, 16 GB G-skill ripjaws DDR4  3600 Mhz, Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, Corsair H100i v2 (sorry... ;) ) and Asus GTX1070 and I'm about to purchase P3D as well as getting XP11. Spent the rest of the day just basically looking at it wondering, "oookay, where and how do I take it from here!? :D  I lost touch with optimizing hardware many years ago...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

3 hours ago, Krister said:

Martin, just wanted to say also that I have always paid great respect to your comments and views so I am grateful for you being around here on the forum.

You do realise that "when" I win the lottery I may have to send you a few quid now. :biggrin: 

Corsair H100i v2 (sorry... ;) ) 

I forgive you. :laugh:  And actually, I may end up installing an AIO in my daughters Mini ITX rig, when we can eventually afford to build it. It will be painful, but I'll try and be brave.

Sounds like you have an awesome rig there. 

On 4/6/2017 at 3:10 AM, joemiller said:

JimmiG, I disagree with the "bucket of salt." Salt is expensive now a days. :uwe_merm:

Also, such high amounts are harmful to your kidneys and blood pressure :biggrin:

It's just that I find most Youtubers obnoxious, overly hyper and sensationalist. Also, a Youtube video isn't the best media for technical details and detailed analysis. It's better suited for videos of cats, and of people falling/running into things. I much prefer a well written, analytical article with lots of in-depth details, tables, diagrams etc. that you can view at your own pace, like the articles at Anandtech or Ars Technica.

AMD themselves are also saying that the issue of Ryzen gaming performance is complex and there's no easy fix or silver bullet:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3378010/join-tom-hardware-amd-thursday-april-6th/page-3.html
It's going to be per-application tweaks and optimizations, not miracle BIOS or Windows updates. Faster memory obviously helps, but throwing faster, more expensive hardware at a problem is hardly a new idea...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

50 minutes ago, JimmiG said:

Also, such high amounts are harmful to your kidneys and blood pressure :biggrin:

It's just that I find most Youtubers obnoxious, overly hyper and sensationalist. Also, a Youtube video isn't the best media for technical details and detailed analysis. It's better suited for videos of cats, and of people falling/running into things. I much prefer a well written, analytical article with lots of in-depth details, tables, diagrams etc. that you can view at your own pace, like the articles at Anandtech or Ars Technica.

AMD themselves are also saying that the issue of Ryzen gaming performance is complex and there's no easy fix or silver bullet:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3378010/join-tom-hardware-amd-thursday-april-6th/page-3.html
It's going to be per-application tweaks and optimizations, not miracle BIOS or Windows updates. Faster memory obviously helps, but throwing faster, more expensive hardware at a problem is hardly a new idea...

++++ agree 

Always interested in new tech and what it can bring in the gaming world, so was excited about Ryzen and Vega GPU's forth coming.

Haven't simming in quite awhile, but while learning the ropes of Photoshop, that keeps me interested some what in keeping a FSX-SE copy on the hdd for testing purposes just to see work done. Now maybe when P3Dv4 with PBR, I might get into the game again.

The reason I started getting into Photoshop and impressive model skills used in this game.

http://live.warthunder.com/user/Vauchez/