kmw510

Reprogram STAR in FMC due to landing runway change

Recommended Posts

I occasionally have trouble editing the FMC to change the STAR that is currently programmed into the FMC. This happens when in preflight you choose a STAR that is restricted to one or more runways. I look at the weather at the destination and make my best guess which runways will be in use and select the STAR accordingly. Upon entering the STAR during the flight ATIS advises landing on different runways. I tried deleting the remaining waypoints so that I could add back the correct STAR but the FMC would give me the "invalid delete" and prevent this. I needed to manually add the STAR segments and lift the first waypoint over the top of the section to be replaced. Is very cumbersome and wondered if anybody had a better method.

 

 

Kevin Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

if you go to the dep/arr page and select the new STAR there, it should overwrite/replace the current one.. you may still have to select the first waypoint to the proper location though, as it will often add a discontinuity above the new STAR. there should be no need to manually enter the waypoints though! :)

cheers,-andy crosby

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kmw510 said:

I tried deleting the remaining waypoints so that I could add back the correct STAR but the FMC would give me the "invalid delete" and prevent this. I needed to manually add the STAR segments and lift the first waypoint over the top of the section to be replaced. Is very cumbersome and wondered if anybody had a better method.

Making it a lot harder than it needs to be. Simply go back to the DEP/ARR page and change the STAR selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing you might consider is not entering a STAR during preflight, unless it is part of your flight plan. Weather and winds can change so you really have no clue what ATC has in store for you several hours and thousands of miles from now. If a STAR is part of your flight plan, then enter it, but as Kyle and Andy said, it is simple to modify and change a STAR by making the selection on the Arrivals page and then go to the Legs page and check it for compliance with your ATC clearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

Another thing you might consider is not entering a STAR during preflight,

A complete route must be entered in order to enter winds aloft by waypoint. I believe this issue started with the latest update 3 years ago. I believe the simulator/NGX freezes on the entry for the second waypoint at cruise altitude. Of course if you don't enter winds aloft by waypoint there is no issue and I don't imagine most user do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your definition of a complete route? A complete route does not have to include a STAR with transition.

Is this a virtual issue and does it exist with the PMDG 747-400? I am talking real world, but if this is a virtual issue, that is a different story.

Your route could end with a navaid from an airway that is close to the destination. The FMC then assumes direct to the destination in regards to fuel and ETA. That would be a complete route, won't that work in the virtual world in entering waypoint winds? I have not tried it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

Is this a virtual issue and does it exist with the PMDG 747-400?

Correct. I think this is an NGX-only, virtual issue.

Still, with the NGX, one could just use the TRIP WIND entry on the PERF INIT page and save a ton of tapping on the keys entering all the wind by waypoint to sidestep the known issue, while still holding off on the STAR selection.

I'm with you: hold off on later entries until you know what they are. I do usually throw the STAR in if it's not directional, however (that, or I throw the shortest direction in, as if it changes to the far side, T/D simply slides out, or your descent shallows if you've already begun it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, even the 5hr trips seem to work out alright with the PERF page avg winds entry, which I get from the AS16 briefing page.  I'll start checking things closer on an ETOPS flight such as W Coast to Hawaiian Is.

Keep it simple, I make a change in arrival or approach from the DEP/ARR page then visit the LEGS pages for any necessary editing, usually just closing up a disco or up-selecting a fix to itself earlier in the route.  Easy stuff. Don't make it hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain_Al said:

What is your definition of a complete route? A complete route does not have to include a STAR with transition.

In terms of being able to enter winds aloft by waypoint, a complete route is the departure runway, SID, core route, STAR, approach and landing runway. This issue only pertains to the NGX. The MD-11, 777, and 747 are not effected. The following link has some additional information - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/464457-fmc-act-rte-data-page-fsx/#comment-3198077.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pcubine said:

In terms of being able to enter winds aloft by waypoint, a complete route is the departure runway, SID, core route, STAR, approach and landing runway. This issue only pertains to the NGX. The MD-11, 777, and 747 are not effected. The following link has some additional information - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/464457-fmc-act-rte-data-page-fsx/#comment-3198077.

 

OK, thanks, good to know it is an NG issue and not a 400 issue, appreciate the info...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now