Hi Folks,

Running FSX, have not completed a flight for at least 6 times. FSX freezes about 10-15 min into the flight. Checked CPU temp and have 45c when it freezes. Thought i might have a virus, but ran bitdefender and nothing found. Not CTD or blue screen, just stops cold, sits for a few seconds, then "windows is restarting FSX",

Anyone have an idea? Would greatly appreciate suggestions! Specs are below.

Lennie

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, lennie said:

Hi Folks,

Running FSX, have not completed a flight for at least 6 times. FSX freezes about 10-15 min into the flight. Checked CPU temp and have 45c when it freezes. Thought i might have a virus, but ran bitdefender and nothing found. Not CTD or blue screen, just stops cold, sits for a few seconds, then "windows is restarting FSX",

Lennie

Hi Lennie,

That is very unfortunate. I suggest you to download Core Temp;

http://nl.afterdawn.com/downloads/systeem_tools/systeem_informatie/core_temp_64bit.cfm

It allows you to monitor your CPU temps. Try to use windowed screen mode in FSX. I guess you are afraid you are hitting a high core temperature? This program also measures the highest achieved core temp, it checks the temp each secon practically.

I hope this helps.

Perhaps the freezing of FSX is caused by something else, if not by the CPU temp? Do you have UIAutomationcore.dll installed (placed in your FSX folder - you can download it on the internet)?

I hope you will find a solution soon.

Regards,

45C is not very hot for a CPU.  I agree, download a better temperature monitoring program, but it could also be faulty RAM or a failing power supply crashing your computer.

17 hours ago, lennie said:

Hi Folks,

Lennie

Are you sure it does actually read 45 degrees? It's possible, for example if you cooler is jammed with dust, for it to overheat, throttle back and then freeze. Throttled back so the temp drops. Just a suggestion.

Also check your graphics card temp.

Tons of reasons why a rig can lock up. GPU overheating, CPU overheating, software glitches, drivers, hardware etc etc.

Have you installed any new add-on's lately that might be the culprit? Are all your add-on's running with the latest updates?

Anything else giving trouble or is it just the sim? What happens when you run a stress test?

Are you overclocking? Have you tried eliminating the OC as a variable, running at optimised defaults? Does it freeze then?

Sorry can't be more specific, as I say, so many causes. Process of elimination.

Did you remember to put UIAutomationCore.dll file into your FSX folder?

Keld Mogensen

I haven't made any of the suggested changes yet; just checked to avsim. About a month or so ago, I started using DX10, and had it set to 4xAA, and the same on NI. So last night I changed back to DX9, and flew a 45 min flight to completion. So could DX10 be the culprit?? I really liked the scenery with DX10. Maybe i did not have NI set correctly? I really don't know much about computers and setting them up, but asked my son who agreed that 45c was not too high a temp. I think there are 4 fans in the case.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe i can figure a way to get back to DX10??