Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Vampire Destroys Runway at Halfpenny Green!

It's a good thing they had planned to repave runway 10 this month anyway...

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Uuuhm... ooops :D

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

How did he land again?

Edit: It says on the description they have another runway he landed on.

Oh well, at least he got the construction started

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, ytzpilot said:

Oh well, at least he got the construction started

Construction? Looks more like DE-struction if you ask me.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I did something like that once when marshaling a 737-200. The only way to get him off the gate was to power back. I asked the captain if he could do it. He said sure. The asphalt pealed up the same way. Not one of my better decisions.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

1 hour ago, mwilk said:

I did something like that once when marshaling a 737-200. The only way to get him off the gate was to power back. I asked the captain if he could do it. He said sure. The asphalt pealed up the same way. Not one of my better decisions.

Must have been a long time ago, not sure they are allowed to do that anymore, too much debris can get sucked into the engine. 

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, ytzpilot said:

Must have been a long time ago, not sure they are allowed to do that anymore, too much debris can get sucked into the engine. 

Yeah, it was back in the 80's. We weren't allowed to do it back then either but it was a situation where the airplane was going to sit for quite a while until we could get him off of the gate. I don't know that management ever found out. We spent the afternoon sweeping up the ramp.

• Upvote 2

NAX669.png

All could have been a lot worse -- the Vampire pilot in question is very lucky that none of that debris flying up damaged the tailplane or jammed the elevators. I'm astonished that he continued (or was allowed to continue) considering the fact that the surface was lifting during the backtrack!

For another example (and an example of the sort of damage this kind of thing can cause to the aeroplane) -- see https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/B734,_Aberdeen_UK,_2005.

• Upvote 1

Lucky he didn't lose an engine a takeoff due to FOD ingestion.  As he was back-taxiing, he ripped up pieces of asphalt and then conducted the takeoff over that same area.  He could have easily ingested those loose pieces.

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

47 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

Lucky he didn't lose an engine a takeoff due to FOD ingestion.  As he was back-taxiing, he ripped up pieces of asphalt and then conducted the takeoff over that same area.  He could have easily ingested those loose pieces.

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he didn't notice himself, but it was clearly observable from the outside - someone on the coms should have told him to abort takeoff.

3 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Lucky he didn't lose THE engine

Sorry Rich, but you know what we aviation nerds are like... :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)