Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Is Flight Sim World MS Flight arisen?

1 hour ago, WotanUK said:

That is not my understanding, MS sold LM the ESM engine to develop a non-competing sim.  MS were still selling FSX at the time and would not have wanted a competitive sim.  .

Maybe, but I am not entirely convinced. End of 2008 ESP was a marketing strategy by Microsoft, more in particular its Institute for Advanced Technology in Government, to - in their own words - "bring “plug and play” capabilities to commercial off-the-shelf PC-based computer hardware platforms and devices, putting the entire spectrum of training simulations within reach by making them much more affordable and faster to develop or modify"  

So yes, from the start MS ESP was clearly aimed at the public sector, and LM obviously never intended to sell a "game". 

My friends,

LM purchased the rights to ESP for development of a professional/training simulator.  As an extremely large defense and commercial contractor, LM's focus is not on the flight simulation community but rather the commercial and military applications of the software.  They also made it available to us under the student training element of their license.  NOTE:  Please, I plead/beg of you, let's not get into what that means. Anyone with any cognitive level can easily work that out, and if not they can read out this in a number of threads here on AVSIM where this dead horse has been pounded to dust many times over.

DTG purchased the rights to the software for gaming/entertainment purposes.

That's about it brothers/sisters.  If you're still not sure, you can read the press releases on the LM and DTG websites (I'm sure they're still there).

My very best wishes to you all.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

22 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Please, I plead/beg of you, let's not get into what that means. Anyone with any cognitive level can easily work that out, and if not they can read out this in a number of threads here on AVSIM where this dead horse has been pounded to dust many times over.

So very true, but WotanUK still makes an interesting point. Would the - obvious to everyone - fact that P3D is de facto being used by some for entertainment purposes allow DTG to sue LM? IMHO DTG would be insane to do so, but who knows ....

That said, all this has nothing to do with the OP's original question. DTG's Flight Sim World is not a continuation of MS Flight. and that is all that needs to be said.

Bonus: links to the original press releases:

https://news.microsoft.com/2009/11/30/lockheed-martin-microsoft-agreement-to-bring-better-training-to-warfighters/#VyIIEcRaYK2L3XI0.97 

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2009/november/LockheedMartin-MicrosoftA.html

• Upvote 1

Come on fellows.  This discussion of LM's rights and DTG's rights with what they purchased from Microsoft is way off topic here. The question concerned MS Flight. Please get this back on topic.

Well, while I was typing this, RatRace answered the question.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals