Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Dynamic Lighting/Night Lighting in P3D v4

1 hour ago, fta2017 said:

Who flies at night? 99.5% of my flights are in the daytime, the others at dusk. All this raving about XP11's night lighting is just trolling by XP fan boys who yet again are bashing a new sim entering the market. Serious chip on their shoulders and it seems to poisoning almost every topic these days.

Its fun shooting approaches at night in crappy weather ! Great way to sharpen your instrument flying skills !

But why do P3D enthusiast have a complete mental melt down when someone mentions XP ? I didn't read any bashing comments as of yet.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

1 hour ago, fta2017 said:

Who flies at night? 99.5% of my flights are in the daytime, the others at dusk. All this raving about XP11's night lighting is just trolling by XP fan boys who yet again are bashing a new sim entering the market. Serious chip on their shoulders and it seems to poisoning almost every topic these days.

I prefer to fly during night, dusk and dawn just to see the lighting. Not everyone likes to fly during the day like you, have some respect for others.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, awf said:

Yep the same issue as in 10 and 11 but XP11 nigh lightning is great, however we have a sub-forum for XP, back to P3D V4.

Sure, no problem - folks, come with me, I'm going to follow instructions and make a post in the x-plane forum about how that sim has worse night lighting than p3d, because the lights pop into view. "X-plane only looks good in screenshots". 

😀

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

40 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Sure, no problem - folks, come with me, I'm going to follow instructions and make a post in the x-plane forum about how that sim has worse night lighting than p3d, because the lights pop into view. "X-plane only looks good in screenshots". 

😀

Don't turn it into a contest between the two, both sims have there strong and weak points (that why I use both lol)
Take this advise from an old timer wise to discuss only P3D related stuff in the P3D forum ;-)

Back to P3D dynamic lightning...

• Upvote 1

André

47 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Is there a good dynamic lighting slider setting that balances performance and looks? Too high and it cripples my p3d during the day even.

I confused myself on this, the slider is for dynamic shadows.

10 hours ago, captain420 said:

This is the one thing X-Plane shines at and I will miss. But since the new P3D v4 now has updated lighting, can someone comment on it. How does it look compared to the previous P3D lighting engine? Is it anywhere close to what X-Plane has to offer, and also which add-on airports currently support P3D's updated dynamic lights? 

I'm assuming that all 3rd party add-on airports must update their airports to include this feature if I'm not mistaken?

As for the questions:

- Still too early to tell regarding dynamic lightning (which is different from dynamic reflections), find the nights still to bright...

- FSDT KCLT has the features in place there is also a youtube video floating around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMN-156kXQM

- 3rd party airport must be update to support the new features.

- XP11 nights are still amazing :-)

André

45 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

😀

What time ? Popcorn ready :)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

P3Dv4 does not have global dynamic lighting and what it does have is very limited. Xplane 11 does have global dynamic lighting,,even the cars headlights have dynamic lighting effects. 

I just got P3Dv4 but, to be honest, my Xplane 11 looks better, even in the daylight. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

4 hours ago, fta2017 said:

You're a fool.  I've owned almost all the major sims released in the past 15 years.  I am a regular user of both P3D v3 (and now v4), and XP11.  I fly at night, I fly in the day, I keep my sim set to current time.  The lighting is a welcome addition to the P3D v4 update!  XP11 has been doing it (and 10) for some time now though.  Even FSX addons lit up some surfaces.  Though P3D v4 does it better than FSX and now it's native.  Someone posted the lighting was just like XP11 - that's simply untrue.  It's a great start that's for sure though!  I can imagine the lighting looking even better once the light sources are all dynamic.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here we go again - we will not keep going through XP is better/P3D is better threads. I'd hoped this would play itself out and stay with the informative stuff but I was wrong again - so this one is shot down. If you think XP has better lighting, fine, go tell them in the XP forum and if you prefer P3D come tell us. Keeps arguments down.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors