Sign in to follow this  
captain420

P3D v4 graphic settings for best overall performance/visuals

4 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Personally I think it's hard to judge these kind of things from a video on YouTube.

That's why I'm still hoping for a response from someone who already replaced his 980Ti with a 1080Ti.

I agree. So often we are given the impression that such videos are achieved with all sliders maxed or nearly maxed out. This is not helpful as it just breeds discontent while many waste time agonising over why their systems, often seeming to be similar or more powerful, continue to fall short. Also, we should not forget the marriage between the displayed resolution at the time of such recordings and the GPU unit tasked with tickling those pixels. Most of us have one rig dedicated to handling everything we throw at it; others are using networked systems permitting load distribution while allowing higher settings. There are so many other factors involved not least being our collective resistance to acknowledge that there will be times when we have to accept a more conservative approach to maintain performance in all situations.

It's usually easier to improve performance while night flying. Just be prepared to back off a few sliders or, more recently, you can also try substituting elements of FTX Global Vector with Black Marble Vector + a few tweaks and nobody will notice other than to marvel at the apparent impressive density of the scenery passing below. I can assure you that to maintain reasonable fluidity I too would need to make compromises while flying into or out of dense hubs like Heathrow. Luckily for me it isn't so important as my flight preferences tend to ensure avoidance of such performance sucking areas.....most of the time!

BTW, my single 1080Ti replaced 2x980Ti in SLI and general performance improved significantly. That there is one mighty graphic processor!

I have stated it before in other threads and that is my 'problem' directly relates to my preferred AA solution: 4xSSAA along with 4XSGSSAA. Maybe I should be trying 4xMSAA in-sim instead of 4XSSAA as it worked well with 4XSGSSAA in Prepar3D v3. In the end I demand good visuals and accept the price necessary to achieve what I want. Also it's quite likely I have tried the alternative already and have forgotten the outcome.

Mike

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

BTW, my single 1080Ti replaced 2x980Ti in SLI and general performance improved significantly. That there is one mighty graphic processor!

That's the kind of answer we want to hear. Were they not doing a quantum powered one? I heard it could draw to two screens at the same time with no extra power. Only trouble was, no matter which monitor they viewed first, the other monitor appeared blank.

• Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

+1

Exactly the kind of answer we wanted to hear and sounds really promising it improved performance even when replacing 2 980Ti in SLI.

Not sure though how much that matters since SLI at least in the past didn't do much for the performance in P3D but maybe that changed in later versions.

Regardless, great input and thanks for sharing! 

Richard Åsberg

I have a 6700K and used to have a 970, then a 1080 and now a 1080ti.

Each change was a huge leap forward. Especially cause I use 4K! If you have the money: Go for it!

https://imgur.com/a/X9s2l

:-)

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, swiesma said:

I have a 6700K and used to have a 970, then a 1080 and now a 1080ti.

Each change was a huge leap forward. Especially cause I use 4K! If you have the money: Go for it!

https://imgur.com/a/X9s2l

:-)

Great input and nice to hear that you even noticed a boost in 4K going from the 1080 to the 1080Ti.

I think I 980Ti would be quite close to a 1080.

Richard Åsberg

Well, the performance gain in most games in 4K from the 1080 to the ti was around 30% which is huge. The 1080 is too weak for 4K in modern games, the ti most of the time sustains 45-60FPS which is enough for me. In P3D it helps in certain GPU limited situations like overcast, shadows, etc.

Like I said: if you can afford it - go for it. You won't regret it. Especially if you also do other stuff besides P3D.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Well, the performance gain in most games in 4K from the 1080 to the ti was around 30% which is huge. The 1080 is too weak for 4K in modern games, the ti most of the time sustains 45-60FPS which is enough for me. In P3D it helps in certain GPU limited situations like overcast, shadows, etc.

Like I said: if you can afford it - go for it. You won't regret it. Especially if you also do other stuff besides P3D.

Thanks for the valuable input Stefan, much appreciated.

My plan at this time is to play around a bit more with P3Dv4 while waiting for a store here in Sweden to have the MSI 1080Ti I'm waiting for in stock. At that point I'll most probably get one and try it out and if it delivers it will be a keeper.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

While this chart may not be wholly representative of what is possible in P3D it does lay out the relative capabilities of each high-end GPU using standardised benchmarking software. Currently, if you take pricing into account, the 1080Ti is, without a doubt, king of the hill.

Mike

15 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

While this chart may not be wholly representative of what is possible in P3D it does lay out the relative capabilities of each high-end GPU using standardised benchmarking software. Currently, if you take pricing into account, the 1080Ti is, without a doubt, king of the hill.

Mike

Like you say maybe not that representative for us P3D users but still a very good chart to get an overall feeling and especially since the chart seems to be updated every day.

The 1080Ti certainly is one impressive card!

Richard Åsberg

Well the GTX980 was 3/2 the throughput of the GTX680, but the 1080 is 2x the 680

Speaking of P3Dv4 performance did anyone already do some testing on how the different features in Orbx FTX Vector affect performance?

What I'm thinking is whether they are mostly about VAS or also FPS.

Richard Åsberg

13 hours ago, SteveW said:

That's the kind of answer we want to hear. Were they not doing a quantum powered one? I heard it could draw to two screens at the same time with no extra power. Only trouble was, no matter which monitor they viewed first, the other monitor appeared blank.

Ah, quite clearly more work is required to exploit the quantum effects of superposition and entanglement.

Cough, cough! 

Regards,

Mike 🤓

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, swiesma said:

So, for a same hardware you had the chance to compare the 1080 versus 1080TI within P3D v4? Well, I have a "1080 FTW" and it runs good at 4k, except for the more complex overcast conditions and the shadows appear to play a role during dawn and dusk as well, and I was wondering how a newer card would improve this situation. Not to mention the higher AA settings, as currently I have to keep at 4x~8x MSAA at most.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Agreed, altogether they share the load along with enthusiast sites.