Berike

Anyone using Ryzen 7 for P3D v4?

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to know if there is anyone using P3D v4 with Ryzen 7 CPU and how is the performance and CPU usage in P3D.

If possible, share your settings and GPU used too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am also curious about this also as AMD cpu's seem to be catching up with intel's cpu's. 

Intel's recent announcement of their CoreX lineup is a bit of a disappointment in my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Intel isn't pushing as hard as they used to- the AMD Ryzen seems to push things in a new direction that may be interesting- how ever I was reading a technical article that some assembly language techniques that work well on an Intel platform may suffer on AMD, and vise versa as well.   I'm interested in reading more about this myself, specifically for the Prepar3d V4 engine and not the generalized game engines in general.

Mark Trainer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like most of people here are using Intel haha, didn't find any video on youtube to check P3D or XP11 using Ryzen CPU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wanted to know as well, doesn't seem to be any amd user's.i was curious if p3d 4 and x-plane 11 would use all the cores from a ryzen 7 1800x or 1700.i know the intel 5820k and the 6800k had terrible performance because the low clock speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel cause of ipc, once they let the main sim use more then 1 core i'll be thinking about something crazy like 10 cores. but i'll probably still stick to Intel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i´m also thinking about threadripper 16 core if it can challange i0 series performance wise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

What will be interesting  will be the new AMD GPU (releasing towards the end of this month) and the AMD Ryzen combination. I vaguely remember reading that the new GPU has new High Band width memory (HBM2) and 16GBs of it too. Personally, however,  I think that the Intel/Nvidia will remain hard to beat for the time being. Interest times ahead on top of the 64bit sims. I just wonder if it is worth the wait Hmmmmmm?

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have video or performance to show your Ryzen running P3D v4? I saw on a live stream from Laminar Research that they will provide an update sometime to give more performance to more cores, but since I never anything from Lockheed Martin, we need to help each other to show the performance using Ryzen CPU or even X99 CPUs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bought a ryzen 7 1700 as a second computer for testing, it runs well for both p3d 4 and x-plane 11. it hammers 2 cores with p3d 4 instead of one and in x-plane they all go to 100 percent during loading and then level off, thats with all 16 threads at 3.8ghz, i was pretty impressed for low clock speeds. the 7700k still does have about a 5-10 percent edge in my testing, but my next main build will be a ryzen system,i can stream and play with no loss of framerate, i can run at 3.8ghz on the 1700, with my ram at 3,000 mhz with a 1080ti. i am sure the videocard has alot to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Patriot3810 said:

i bought a ryzen 7 1700 as a second computer for testing, it runs well for both p3d 4 and x-plane 11. it hammers 2 cores with p3d 4 instead of one and in x-plane they all go to 100 percent during loading and then level off, thats with all 16 threads at 3.8ghz, i was pretty impressed for low clock speeds. the 7700k still does have about a 5-10 percent edge in my testing, but my next main build will be a ryzen system,i can stream and play with no loss of framerate, i can run at 3.8ghz on the 1700, with my ram at 3,000 mhz with a 1080ti. i am sure the videocard has alot to do with it.

Good to know, I have the same GPU, can you tell your add-ons and avg framerate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with orbx ftx global, the pmdg 777,fsdreamteam airports,active sky 16, my average fps is between 45-55, i am getting 60-65 with the 7700k,i don't fly as much as i use to and i use alot of other programs such as photoshop, planetcoaster,tower 3d,trainz,battlefield one, the ryzen works well, i only bought the 1700 because i didnt want to spend 450.00 for the 1800x if it was gonna be terrible performance,20 percent of the ryzen 1700's will hit 4-4.1 ghz, i haven't really tried. one huge plus is the 1700 idles at 16-18c and doesn't go over 40-45c under full load, i see that as amazing. now i am sure if i pushed it to the 1.45v at 4ghz it would run alot hotter.i am glad i waited until ryzen matured some, memory works well now, i may just sell my 7700k and send the 1700 back and buy the 1700x or 1800x, i wish now i would have bought at least the 1700x. another good suggestion, i bought the asus crossair iv x370 and its backwards compatible with all am3 coolers.i bought the 1700 because it came with a cooler and found out i don't need it. i will post a video showing my fps tomorrow. if i am in a stock aiicraft i get between 80-90 fps, which is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What resolution are you using? I have a ultrawide monitor, 3440x1440

My target on games is 100fps, but 60fps for Sim is enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am using a 32 inch 2k monitor i sim on and 2 1080p monitors on each side for efass and charts ect... i still see 4k as not ready yet until the next gen video cards, my opinion obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i also Think about a Threadripper system for p3dv4.

 

tommorow when the nda is falling we will know more.

i also think about the new vega64 so a completely AMD build;-)

my first since 15 years.

 

but I still wait for the tests otherwise i build a 8 core x299 system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzens are still behind high-end Intel when it comes to the one thing that matters for the flight sims; single-thread performance. Something like an 1800X still has the same performance as an average overclocked 5960x. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys,

I will concede that AMD is a wee bit slower with single thread performance, but, does anyone have any further info on the prospects of P3D utilising multi threads in a better way. Also, does XPlane11 perform better using multi thread .

AMD have had an almost soundless release of the Vega64 and is this any better than a GTX1080ti with its 16gb HBM VRAM and a Zotac GTX 1080ti OC.

I was seriously thinking of going completely AMD too but blew up a SSD and R9 290 GPU from constant power fails. I replaced it with a Zotac GTX1080ti amp extreme (yet to be fitted) Whils I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase, I am wondering whether or not to eventually upgrade to an Intel system or AMD when the time and money comes to replace my aging system.

If anybody has the Ryzen/Vega64 system I would really like to get some further information.

Thanks Guys n Girls

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all information I have I am really impressed with the Ryzen CPUs, not so much with AMDs new GPUs.

If I had to buy a new PC now I would go for a Threadripper and a 1080ti. If money is a non-issue I would go for the i9 7900 and one of the newer X299 mainboards with VRM coolers like the Asus Rampage VI Apex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, swiesma said:

From all information I have I am really impressed with the Ryzen CPUs, not so much with AMDs new GPUs.

If I had to buy a new PC now I would go for a Threadripper and a 1080ti. If money is a non-issue I would go for the i9 7900 and one of the newer X299 mainboards with VRM coolers like the Asus Rampage VI Apex.

the big question is if a 4.2 ghz threadripper can catch up with a 4.8 ghz 7820x.

if raw ghz still rules in p3d v4 i think not.

but 32 threads could be usefull if you run a lot of other tools like as16, .......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 331BK said:

the big question is if a 4.2 ghz threadripper can catch up with a 4.8 ghz 7820x.

if raw ghz still rules in p3d v4 i think not.

but 32 threads could be usefull if you run a lot of other tools like as16, .......

 

Wouldn't count on it. The Threadripper, despite the higher clock, is slower than the 1800X single-core. Too much core latency to contend with. 

In single-threaded performance, the Ryzen falls pretty far behind Intel; 

http://pclab.pl/art75073-22.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am doing tests w p3dv4 w tfdi 717 on my ryzen 1700x 3.8ghz oc and 1080ti. Runs really well getting 50to 60fps w ftx global installed. Havnt  gone into complex paywares yet. I do see one core very active 80-100 % and a 2 or 3 more being lightly used (30-40%) the rest are pretty inactive. In xp11 all 16 threads are active with 2 cores a Bit higher then the rest. P3d still highly dependant on single thread but its gotten much better than previous versions. Will try out some more complex airports and the ngx and see how it runs. I mainly use xp11 but want to provide feedback to the p3d users. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if we only would know in which direction LM will go regarding multi threading.

when they give more Support to more cores i buy a Threadripper otherwide a 7820x would also be more than enough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Wouldn't count on it. The Threadripper, despite the higher clock, is slower than the 1800X single-core. Too much core latency to contend with. 

In single-threaded performance, the Ryzen falls pretty far behind Intel; 

http://pclab.pl/art75073-22.html

I dont see a huge difference TBH between my 6600k @ 4.5ghz and ryzen 1700x @ 3.9 3200 ram in p3dv4 w tfdi 717.  P3dv4 is using more cores then previous versions according to my process lasso activity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wiler said:

I dont see a huge difference TBH between my 6600k @ 4.5ghz and ryzen 1700x @ 3.9 3200 ram in p3dv4 w tfdi 717.  P3dv4 is using more cores then previous versions according to my process lasso activity. 

At peak overclocks, the 1700X is actually 22% slower than the 6600K in single-threaded performance; http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/3503vs3915

And while P3Dv4 does use more cores, it's not seeing any real performance gains from it. Uses those extra threads to queue up terrain / autogen rendering, however the framerate and smoothness of the simulator still hinges on the single-core performance. 

Overall, if you goal is improving your performance in P3D or flight simulators in general, Ryzen is a really poor choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sethos1988 said:

At peak overclocks, the 1700X is actually 22% slower than the 6600K in single-threaded performance; http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/3503vs3915

And while P3Dv4 does use more cores, it's not seeing any real performance gains from it. Uses those extra threads to queue up terrain / autogen rendering, however the framerate and smoothness of the simulator still hinges on the single-core performance. 

Overall, if you goal is improving your performance in P3D or flight simulators in general, Ryzen is a really poor choice.

With all due respect, im the one with the ryzen coming from the 6600K and reporting that I am seeing equal performance overall. P3d has never ran as smooth for me until now. I dont know what speed ram this CPU comparison is using or what "peak" clocks they are using but  I would be willing to bet its at default Ram speed for ryzen( 2133 ram speed) most likely. The difference between using 2133 ram and 3200 on ryzen is HUGE in xp11 it was at least at 20-25% gain for me, on the intel machine it didnt make a huge difference to run at 3200 ram. In P3d having ASN open as well as some other apps doesnt even make a dent in this 8 core processor like it did on my 4 core 6600k, so for me I am winning. My goal was to move to a platform that runs well today (on par or very close to intel)and is ready to be fully utilized (xp is going Vulkan in the next 9/12 months). Again, if you dont want to beleive what I am reporting, then dont. I am just trying to provide real world perspective to the question the OP had. Thanks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.